Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Marc warned everyone, Chatter is what it is for now. It sucks, but it does happen. Marc has nothing to do with Chatter anymore, we just have to wait & see. Many developers have done this before, its not the first or the last...

    There's no way he "warned everyone". Many people buy the software directly from Palm's web site, and there is absolutely no hint on there that this program is no longer being actively developed, and that it doesn't fully work with Gmail/imap. In fact, as I already pointed out- they give every indication that it WILL work.
  2. #22  
    That's true, but if Marc is no longer owner of Chatter, then why is everyone on him? This is a Palm matter & should be addresed to Palm not Marc. I believe their is something in works, we just have to wait, this is Google, & they change settings all the time, so once there's fix, who knows what they'd do next...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  3. PDR447's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #23  
    let me get this straight. you want a program that is of no use to you? by your own statements you have said that it doesn't work for you so why do you want it for free so bad?

    also it's quite rediculous to think that a program can be entirely future-proof. gmail's imap just came out less than a week ago and you want a fix instantaniously? despite what you may think marc/chatter owes nothing to you. you purchased a program for it's current capabilities, not what it "should" be able to do in the future. if chatter NEVER supports gmail IMAP there's nothing really wrong with that. your argument would be like going to your car dealership and asking them for a new car cause you moved and need a 4x4 now to get to your house. is it their fault that your current 2 wheel drive can't get there? no!

    oh and as others have mentioned you should look at google... their POP implementation was horrible and the IMAP is mediocre at best.
  4. PDR447's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #24  
    oh and your argument about them being "misleading" about gmail support is unfounded. all it says is that it supports gmail... doesn't say "gmail IMAP". you can get your gmail without issue, just use pop. again goung back to my car analogy... if a car manufacturer claims 20mpg but you can't get 20 cause you have a lead foot is that the manufacturer's fault? no!
  5. #25  
    ahh... so goggle's imap implementation is screwy too! Yipes! My gmail (pop) is never right anyway.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Marc warned everyone, Chatter is what it is for now. It sucks, but it does happen. Marc has nothing to do with Chatter anymore, we just have to wait & see. Many developers have done this before, its not the first or the last...
    It's similar to this IM program that I think was called Chatter too...



    Personally I think Marc will be involved in a functionally similar application for the new Palm OS, but it's not like Marc's talents lie solely in mail clients. Maybe he can make the new Taxi cab egg in the new OS have a driver that gets out and runs around like his diaper is full.

    (Note: If you don't get it..... don't ask..... or if you're really curious, google for "syphon filter diaper" or such..)
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    There's no way he "warned everyone". Many people buy the software directly from Palm's web site, and there is absolutely no hint on there that this program is no longer being actively developed, and that it doesn't fully work with Gmail/imap. In fact, as I already pointed out- they give every indication that it WILL work.


    Did you miss the fact that google released their "version" of IMAP less than five days ago. Honestly, did I miss something here? Am I wrong in my thinking? I just don’t get the grips against a company that has no power over another company when they release their own version of something like IMAP. I could see if they had not fixed this in six months or even three months… yea, time to complain. But five days?

    In addition, Marc won’t throw google under the proverbial bus… he works for palm. What he types now is a representation of not only himself but mainly his employer, Palm Inc. Matter of fact, whatever he types represents Palm, no matter his background with the chatter program.

    Maybe I missed something, but expecting ANY company to release a fix in five days is a bit extreme, IMO.

    And they are working on updates for the program... did we all miss the centro updates? That seems new...

    I don't know marc nor do I use chatter... maybe I should not be in this thread, but it just burns me up to see someone talked about in such a manner... esp someone who has contributed so much to the Palm community..... sorry for the rant....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8. #28  
    but true
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    That's true, but if Marc is no longer owner of Chatter, then why is everyone on him? This is a Palm matter & should be addresed to Palm not Marc. I believe their is something in works, we just have to wait, this is Google, & they change settings all the time, so once there's fix, who knows what they'd do next...
    Because he still has a "Chattermail" forum, where he actively posts regarding the program. They also recently released some bug fixes, and announced them on their forum. He seems to want to sit on the fence, which is nice when he posts replies to questions about the program and they offer bug fixes, but frustrating when he gives no indication that he'll fix a problem (such as the Gmail/imap one)
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    let me get this straight. you want a program that is of no use to you? by your own statements you have said that it doesn't work for you so why do you want it for free so bad?

    also it's quite rediculous to think that a program can be entirely future-proof. gmail's imap just came out less than a week ago and you want a fix instantaniously? despite what you may think marc/chatter owes nothing to you. you purchased a program for it's current capabilities, not what it "should" be able to do in the future. if chatter NEVER supports gmail IMAP there's nothing really wrong with that. your argument would be like going to your car dealership and asking them for a new car cause you moved and need a 4x4 now to get to your house. is it their fault that your current 2 wheel drive can't get there? no!

    oh and as others have mentioned you should look at google... their POP implementation was horrible and the IMAP is mediocre at best.
    I never said it is of "no use" to me. I actually said I quite like it. I simply stated that it doesn't allow attachments or html with Gmail imap, and that if the developers are not going to actively develop the program, then it doesn't seem right to charge full price. I also said I would just prefer they continue to charge full price AND actively develop it.

    Keep up with the thread, or don't comment...
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post


    Did you miss the fact that google released their "version" of IMAP less than five days ago. Honestly, did I miss something here? Am I wrong in my thinking? I just don’t get the grips against a company that has no power over another company when they release their own version of something like IMAP. I could see if they had not fixed this in six months or even three months… yea, time to complain. But five days?

    In addition, Marc won’t throw google under the proverbial bus… he works for palm. What he types now is a representation of not only himself but mainly his employer, Palm Inc. Matter of fact, whatever he types represents Palm, no matter his background with the chatter program.

    Maybe I missed something, but expecting ANY company to release a fix in five days is a bit extreme, IMO.

    And they are working on updates for the program... did we all miss the centro updates? That seems new...

    I don't know marc nor do I use chatter... maybe I should not be in this thread, but it just burns me up to see someone talked about in such a manner... esp someone who has contributed so much to the Palm community..... sorry for the rant....
    I never said I expected an immediate fix (although, of course- it would be great)... only that it would be nice to know the program is being actively developed, and that a fix is on the horizon. And, no- I didn't miss the Centro update. I commented on that fact in my very first post, so that's something that you missed. I'm saying it doesn't add up for them to say they're not actively developing it, that they're not sure if they'll fix Gmail imap, but yet they just recently released a new version with tons of bug fixes. And... by the developers own admission, the problem with Chatter not fully supporting Gmail imap is a Chatter issue and NOT a Gmail issue. Don't you think the developers had to add different code to the program to allow Yahoo imap to work, than some other imap provider? It's just that Yahoo imap came out prior when they were actively developing Chatter.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    oh and your argument about them being "misleading" about gmail support is unfounded. all it says is that it supports gmail... doesn't say "gmail IMAP". you can get your gmail without issue, just use pop. again goung back to my car analogy... if a car manufacturer claims 20mpg but you can't get 20 cause you have a lead foot is that the manufacturer's fault? no!
    No, that's not true. It says "Continuously updated email when using IMAP servers that support IDLE". Gmail imap servers support IDLE. It further says "Quick Setup wizard for the most popular email services including: Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Earthlink, Oracle OnDemand". It does not make a pop distinction here.
  13. PDR447's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I never said it is of "no use" to me. I actually said I quite like it. I simply stated that it doesn't allow attachments or html with Gmail imap, and that if the developers are not going to actively develop the program, then it doesn't seem right to charge full price. I also said I would just prefer they continue to charge full price AND actively develop it.

    Keep up with the thread, or don't comment...
    here's a little vocab for ya:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    de·duce [di-doos, -dyoos] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –verb (used with object), -duced, -duc·ing.
    1. to derive as a conclusion from something known or assumed; infer: From the evidence the detective deduced that the gardener had done it.
    with all the complaining about how it doesn't support gmail's IMAP one could deduce that because chatter doesn't "properly" support it you have no use for chatter.

    I am fully up do date with all your complaints in this thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    No, that's not true. It says "Continuously updated email when using IMAP servers that support IDLE". Gmail imap servers support IDLE. It further says "Quick Setup wizard for the most popular email services including: Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Earthlink, Oracle OnDemand". It does not make a pop distinction here.
    Ok let's look at each of the claims you are "calling out":

    Quote Originally Posted by palm/chatter
    Continuously updated email when using IMAP servers that support IDLE
    Chatter DOES continuously update even your gmail through IMAP. this statement says nothing as to how chatter handles attachments or HTML.

    Quote Originally Posted by palm/chatter
    Quick Setup wizard for the most popular email services including: Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Earthlink, Oracle OnDemand
    Chatter DOES include a setup wizard for all of these email clients(as well as many others). you can't hold them accountable just because the wizard doesn't set it up exactly the way you want it. All the wizard HAS to do is make it work, which it does.

    There is not one claim made in the feature list of chatter that is not accurate. here, I've even attached a screen cap to make it easy for you to see. find me ONE bullet point on there that is inaccurate.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...1&d=1194081241

    Finally, is it beyond you to realize that all of this was written BEFORE gmail's IMAP came out? are the people writing this supposed to be psychics? you're treating their writings like they were written with gmail's IMAP in mind, when in fact they weren't. they were written before gmail's IMAP was even an idea. thats like if I wrote that it is night time and then tomorrow you go and say something like "no, it's day time".

    Anyways, I'm done with this. it's obvious that you were raised with a silver spoon and expect to always get your way and for everyone around you to bend over backwards for you.

    oh and for your information, I am a chatter user and a gmail user and I couldn't be happier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I never said I expected an immediate fix (although, of course- it would be great)... only that it would be nice to know the program is being actively developed, and that a fix is on the horizon. And, no- I didn't miss the Centro update. I commented on that fact in my very first post, so that's something that you missed. I'm saying it doesn't add up for them to say they're not actively developing it, that they're not sure if they'll fix Gmail imap, but yet they just recently released a new version with tons of bug fixes. And... by the developers own admission, the problem with Chatter not fully supporting Gmail imap is a Chatter issue and NOT a Gmail issue. Don't you think the developers had to add different code to the program to allow Yahoo imap to work, than some other imap provider? It's just that Yahoo imap came out prior when they were actively developing Chatter.
    Ahh... I see your argument now.

    Although, I still think you are a bit premature in your attacks on the developer(s). I would recommend a "grace" period before you come out condeming a product and airing your frustration on a public forum. Honestly, your argument was lost in your presentation, which IMO is very premature.

    With the history of centro and yahoo I'd guess they would eventually get around to fixing chatter. Really, it only makes sense when you think about it. Gmail is a major player in email, why would they not fix it? As I stated earlier, maybe palm is telling the developer to not promise fixes, he works for a large corp now. (edit: I'm not suggesting this is the case... it could even be that he feels the need to state this since his time is not his own. I'll say again, I don't know marc nor anyone at chattermail... my thoughts are of my own and what makes sense in my head. I am more than likely wrong.)

    Sometimes we all need to push away from the computer for a couple of minutes and think about what we are typing before hitting the submit button.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    It's just that Yahoo imap came out prior when they were actively developing Chatter.
    Actually, they stopped actively developing Chatter last February. As best I can tell, Yahoo IMAP just became known to Chatter recently; Marc didn't even realize it existed, and it's still, according to them, an incomplete trial going on that isn't advertised, doesn't appear anywhere on Yahoo's website, and doesn't support Idle. I think that they were just working on the Centro update and it was probably easy to add the header changes for Yahoo IMAP. I suspect the Gmail problem is more complex. I think the fact that Marc hates pop and loves IMAP will probably motivate them to work on Gmail, but that's up to them and not us.
  16. #36  
    MisterB, do you realize that you're being super-duper unreasonable, and that Chatter is the best there is, at a BARGAIN price? Why don't you go try Agendus Mail and then get back to me. Or Versamail. Hell, Chatter unsupported is better than the other guys who claim to be "developing" their crap.

    chill, man.
  17. #37  
    Also he is using the forums to help out people. Would you rather he take it down and cause more issues becuase of the lack of help and support? He does not own the product anymore. He does not have to do anything. Take up your gripe with palm, Palm owns the software and as he states he is not developing it anymore, that is palms job (if they so wish to do). Marc is taking time out of his busy schedule to help people.
    Last edited by hteasthope; 11/03/2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Sprint Palm Pre
  18. #38  
    nothing to add, just posting from my Treo to subcribe to the thread.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    here's a little vocab for ya:

    with all the complaining about how it doesn't support gmail's IMAP one could deduce that because chatter doesn't "properly" support it you have no use for chatter.

    I am fully up do date with all your complaints in this thread...



    Ok let's look at each of the claims you are "calling out":


    Chatter DOES continuously update even your gmail through IMAP. this statement says nothing as to how chatter handles attachments or HTML.


    Chatter DOES include a setup wizard for all of these email clients(as well as many others). you can't hold them accountable just because the wizard doesn't set it up exactly the way you want it. All the wizard HAS to do is make it work, which it does.

    There is not one claim made in the feature list of chatter that is not accurate. here, I've even attached a screen cap to make it easy for you to see. find me ONE bullet point on there that is inaccurate.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...1&d=1194081241

    Finally, is it beyond you to realize that all of this was written BEFORE gmail's IMAP came out? are the people writing this supposed to be psychics? you're treating their writings like they were written with gmail's IMAP in mind, when in fact they weren't. they were written before gmail's IMAP was even an idea. thats like if I wrote that it is night time and then tomorrow you go and say something like "no, it's day time".

    Anyways, I'm done with this. it's obvious that you were raised with a silver spoon and expect to always get your way and for everyone around you to bend over backwards for you.

    oh and for your information, I am a chatter user and a gmail user and I couldn't be happier.
    Don't "deduce", by erroneously coming to conclusions, and then wasting our time with vocabulary lessons.

    No, Chatter does NOT "continuously update Gmail through IMAP". If somebody emails an attachment, or sends an email in html, Chatter does not get the attachment(s) or display the html...thus, it is not being "continuously updated". This isn't a tough concept.

    You're wrong about the Chatter setup wizard for Gmail. It includes a POP wizard, but not a wizard for Gmail IMAP. Palm still has not updated the product page to reflect this.

    No kidding the program was written prior to Gmail coming out with IMAP. Duh. That's the whole point of this thread... that they should either continue to develop Chatter by coming up with a bug fix for issues such as Gmail, or they should seriously consider charging less than full price.

    Glad to hear you're "done with this". If you can't add anything of value to the thread, then don't waste our time. And, no- wanting a program to function properly does not make a person born with a "silver spoon". I suppose every person that complains about Palm on this forum is just spoiled? Please.

    And, lastly... you claim you're a Chatter/Gmail user, and that you "couldn't be happier". Seriously, dude- are you that delusional? Receiving attachments and html emails means absolutely nothing to you, and would not make you happier if it were to function properly?

    Please take your meds before commenting again.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by hteasthope View Post
    Also he is using the forums to help out people. Would you rather he take it down and cause more issues becuase of the lack of help and support? He does not own the product anymore. He does not have to do anything. Take up your gripe with palm, Palm owns the software and as he states he is not developing it anymore, that is palms job (if they so wish to do). Marc is taking time out of his busy schedule to help people.
    Yeah, there you go. "Take it up with Palm". That'll really get things moving. I can just hear the heavy middle Eastern accent on the line from the entry level Palm representative, as I try to explain this issue to him...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions