Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This story has been out for 3-4 hours now, but I have not seen it posted here yet.

Palm Chmn Takes The Reins, Says 18 Mos Before New Pdts DebutLast update: 10/25/2007 12:39:13 PM

By Roger Cheng
    Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Jon Rubinstein, the purported savior of Palm Inc. (PALM), officially took the reins as executive chairman and head of product development for the troubled smartphone maker. Rubinstein assumed his position as Elevation Partners wrapped up its acquisition of a 27% stake in Palm. The private equity firm paid $325 million for the investment, and the company will pay a special dividend of $9 a share.

"I'm really glad it's all official," Rubinstein said in an interview with Dow Jones Newswires late Wednesday. "We've been rolling a bit, but we can really roll now." Rubinstein, who was instrumental in developing the iPod for Apple Inc. (AAPL), will take over a company that has a storied history of innovation but has recently faltered. The company embarrassingly scrapped the Foleo, a "companion" device for the Treo that was widely panned. The company warned it was delaying the release of a new version of its dated operating system.

A new operating system is among the chief priorities for Palm, Rubinstein said. He added it will take 18 months before new products come out. "It's a probably good target," Rubinstein said. "These things take time." The executive declined to comment on any specific plans, but noted that he's been at Palm for a few months working with the team. "We've already done significant analysis on the roadmap. We're really setting up our plans for the future."

Despite Palm's recent troubles, Rubinstein said he was bullish on the prospects for the Centro, which is the company's take on a consumer-focused smartphone. Research in Motion Ltd.'s (RIMM) Blackberry Pearl successfully made the crossover, and Palm is hoping to do the same. "I'm glad we're kind of leading on a good note with this product," he said. Rubinstein said Palm's brand, its loyal customer base, and strong distribution capabilities were why he decided to join the team, and that he expects to be at Palm for a while. He believes he can utilize the company's "strong DNA" in innovation to create new products.

He declined to comment, however, on whether he would bringing in his own talent. Rubinstein said he expects a smooth transition. He added the he "loved" working with President and Chief Executive Ed Colligan. "We complement each other," he said. Palm faces criticism because it pioneered an attractive market segment that everyone is currently jumping into. Samsung Electronics (005930.SE) has its Blackjack, Motorola Inc. (MOT) has its Q, while RIM dominates the business world with its Blackberry email device. Rubinstein believes the smartphone market is a large enough segment to support multiple handset makers. "Clearly there's room for more than one successful player, and Palm will be one of them," he said.

-By Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-2020; roger.cheng@dowjones
    http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/tdameritrade-com/html-story.asp?guid={8d2660a0-6eb3-4f1a-bb0e-4d02757794fd}

So they are only now setting up their plans for the future? They threw out all the work they have done over the last few years? As many people are saying, how many more nails can fit into Palm's coffin?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This story has been out for 3-4 hours now, but I have not seen it posted yet.

http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/tdameritrade-com/html-story.asp?guid={8d2660a0-6eb3-4f1a-bb0e-4d02757794fd}

So they are only now setting up their plans for the future? They threw out all the work they have done over the last few years? As many people are saying, how many more nails can fit into Palm's coffin?

Surur

IS PALM STARTING FROM SCRATCH??? I have to agree how many more nails can Palm put in it's coffin. I would predict that a lot of Palm users will make the transition to the Pocket PC (maybe the 800W) or some other operating system if Sprint would start releasing Symbian phones which by the way has style tap has released support for. What did Palm do with all their resources?? Did they not salvage anything from the last 5 years. Mistakes are still coming down the line. I will try the HTC Multi Touch on Nov 4 and I will proably try the 800w when released because I still like the keyboard. Why Palm cannot put people to work 24/7?
    They have a great window of opportunity again..but it's not in 2009. It's by mid of next year. The Centro gave a bit of breathing room but neither it or the 800w (same tired design) gives them 18 months.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Maybe they can relaunch the Foleo in between...
    AWWWESOME!!! I love these guys at palm. They're fantastic!

(im being facetious, by the way)
    They cannot make me wait 36 months for my 900p. I've waited 18. I will not last another 18.

Yo. Palm. Throw me a crumb. Maybe a beta device. I could do that. 18 more months? (Starts babbling incoherently.)
    I'm with Perry! That's an AWFULLY long time to wait.
    I love to hear some saying "yeah but palm is in a great position to do this and in a swell position do that" when all the while, all palm ever ends up being in good position for is doing basically nothing significant.

The only thing palm is in good position to do anymore is just to do a little here and a little there - as always - just enough to squeak by and turn small profits. Its beyond the point now of being infuriating. Its just hilarious now.. The guys at palm just suck.

THAT is the "dna"they are working with.

But, hey, I'm glad mr so-and-so just "loves" working with colligan now. Pretty good indicator of things to come, isn't it?
    Didn't the past CEO say the same thing, as did the CEO before him and the CEO before him.......Will it be called POS 5.4.xxxa?
    Since I just picked up a Centro, I'm fine with their taking 18 months to release the new platform.

As for nails and coffins, sure their market share may go down (or not), but I'm pretty sure that there will be more PalmOS users in 18 months than there are today.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    As for nails and coffins, sure their market share may go down (or not), but I'm pretty sure that there will be more PalmOS users in 18 months than there are today.
    Thats a bold prediction. How many OS/2 or Amiga users are there now? In fact, there are probably less PalmOS users now than there was a year ago.

Surur
    Burn Palm BURRRRRRRNNNNNNN! In 6 months we will hear that they are still 18 months from releasing their new OS! I'm tired of this broken record replaying it self over and over!
    Hahah, wow. Way to mess it up Palm. Wow.
    I remember being on these boards 3 years ago having everyone pissed at me because I kept saying that judging by the way their phones were evolving (or not evolving, rather) they were clearly dysfunctional on the inside. And here is the result. I was totally right.

All these years and I seriously wonder what they were doing inside those walls in Sunnyvale...
    Hum. Well, I've enjoyed my Treo 650 and 680. Despite it's decrepitude, I still prefer FrankenGarnet to WindozeMobile. But where is Palm going? All we've seen from them in the past year or two is refactored 650's and the addition of WM as a supported platform. Yeah, I know that's oversimplifying a lot of the details... but what other truly major advances have they brought?

So, now we're told this Windows annoucement that the 750 will support some new management platform is big stuff. Really? I just see it as an excuse to delay the WM6 launch on the 750 so they can scope creep. Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot of foot dragging going on.

And what of Linux? Now we're to understand that all this OS development is to produce a *consumer* device platform?? And WM will be their sole corporate strategy? Wow. How inspiring, Palm. And here we were already thinking that FrankenGarnet was the low-cost consumer platform (heck, we already have the 680 and Centro that were targetted on that premise) and now the OS we've waited years for is for... consumers? uh huh

Seems to me there is just as much confusion about what Palm's direction is as there ever was. And, by the way, that's not good news. It suggests we're very likely to see more of the same where it affects delays, confusion over product positioning, etc.

Personally, I'm really more excited to see what will emerge from Apple's February SDK launch. Since it's the lack of third party applications that is one of the key reasons I haven't already replaced my 680 with an iPhone, this something I'm really watching. I'm especially curious to see whether Apple hasn't completely alienated it's potential developer community with it's early stumbles and if a real ecosystem develops. Considering that they're just starting out on this, they certainly have had less time to **** off developers wanting a new platform than Palm has (Cobalt, vaporware Linux platform)... and we've already /seen/ the fruits of some of these developers labors in terms of the applications hacked onto the Phone within months of it's launch. Palm certainly has nothing to show in that regard on it's new platform.

So... I guess I'm not completely ready to count Palm out, but I personally see a much bigger potential in Apple. It seems funny to say that, too, since Apple is really a newcomer to this space. But maybe that's what we need here... a fresh perspective rather than trying to reinvent past success?
    one word: hilarious.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    This was very dissapointing when I read it yesterday. I'm bored with my 700p as it is. That is a long time to wait for us that have been around since May/Jun 06 with the 700p intro. I would buy a Centro today (and tried) but little discounts available for me since my plan is up in June 08.

18 mos would put it at about April 09. Man, that's a long time.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 10/26/2007 at 11:40 AM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Remember the Nintendo vs Sega wars way back when? In the case study we did back then in business school, both we're weary of Sony getting ready to enter that market. Good reason too. The playstation was a hit. Then Microsoft eyed that little war and along came the Xbox. Now its pretty much the MS vs Sony vs Nintendo war with new dominant players.

Apple is here to stay. They're a new player, but they're marketing their phone beyond anything current providers/phonemakers ever did. Helps they integrated an existing hot product (ipod) into it and that the iphone actually was revolutionary in some ways. And they make the rules as AT&T sits back on this one.

Today the smartphone wars have a few more players. Palm is hanging in there, but the competition is strong. In 18 months, Palm may just be irrelevant as Apple and others continue to increase their market, make improvements, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Since I just picked up a Centro, I'm fine with their taking 18 months to release the new platform.

That could be true but how are they going to woo back the Palm faithful. They say they have a loyal user base but I just do not see that they have a loyal user base. Palm has jilted their faithful one time too many with broken promises. How can the Linux Palm that we saw was to ship this year slip 18 months. This just goes to say that they have not been working on the OS until the demise of the device that was to woo and wow (Foleo). Such poor oversight! Palm owes more than that to it's shareholders. They have been only dreaming!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    Hahah, wow. Way to mess it up Palm. Wow.
    I remember being on these boards 3 years ago having everyone pissed at me because I kept saying that judging by the way their phones were evolving (or not evolving, rather) they were clearly dysfunctional on the inside. And here is the result. I was totally right.

All these years and I seriously wonder what they were doing inside those walls in Sunnyvale...
    "How to deceive the Public" They throw us a crumb with the Centro; why not do what Ed Hardy of Brighthand proposed and do an overlay over the current OS, licence Styletap and move forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    In fact, there are probably less PalmOS users now than there was a year ago.
    I don't think so. Last quarter, they sold 690,000 Treos (POS and WM) and 300,000 POS handhelds. If half of the Treos were POS, then annualizing those numbers works out to over 2.5 million POS devices sold in the past year. Sure, many of those sales were to prior POS owners, but still, it doesn't look like a shrinking user base.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast