Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Unfortunately, the consumer market is often driven by what is "cool" at the moment. I don't think there is any "cool" factor to an OS that hasn't been updated in 5 years, and has been surpassed in the "wow" factor by many other phones.
    Note: I said new OS as in what they are or will be working on...not Garnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's exactly what they are doing: the new OS is for consumers and small businesses.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    So, in short, there are likely less PalmOS users now than in the past, and the trend is just down, at an ever accelerating rate, as more and more of the Treo's sold run WM.

Surur
    Ed Colligan 6/30/07

Yeah. I mean, approximately at this point were about a little bit less than 50% Windows Mobile and a little bit more than that are Palm OS based products.
    link

With the Centro out now and coming to GSM probably early 2008 and no 800w till Spring, it'll be interesting to see where those numbers go.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    link

With the Centro out now and coming to GSM probably early 2008 and no 800w till Spring, it'll be interesting to see where those numbers go.
    The Centro may provide a blip in the trend, but otherwise it would be a safe prediction to say that more WM Treo's than POS Treo's will be sold this quarter.

Surur
    Surur,
    Okay, okay, you win. POS users have declined in the past year.
    Nice work.

My mistake was that I relied on revenue growth, or at least what I recalled of it, which masked the big decline in unit volume of low-cost PDAs.

However, I continue to believe there will be more POS users in a year than today.

I think the decline in PalmOS Treo sales in recent years is primarily due to the fact that their new products gave users little reason to upgrade. The 680 and 755 showed only minor incremental improvements. That wasn't solely driven by the OS stagnation problem, and so there's no reason that POS sales has to continue to decline if they introduce the right products. I think the Centro should boost POS unit volume in a big way due to its relatively low price. And Palm has given indication that there will be more interesting products to come.

I also think the PDA volume can't continue to fall much farther. There's gotta be a base level of demand for stand-alone PDAs. Based on your numbers, sales generally plateau for 3 quarters, and then plummet in Q4. So we'll see in 6 months whether PDA sales continue to drop. IMO, they've already hit bottom. And I predict that the new management will be smart enough to throw some innovation dollars at the non-phone segment. There's no reason that they can't compete better against media players and GPS devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    As you said, prior user base (isn't this something Palm prizes itself on, the loyalty of its base). This doesn't really tell us about the installed base however, but one can not ignore the decay rate of this installed base. I however doubt too many people are still using 2 year old phones or pda's, just due to physical breakage, and about 2 years ago Palm started selling WM devices.

Of note is that Palm's sales have been pretty steady, at around 1 million per quarter, split between their PDA and Smartphone business.

I submit therefore, just as the WM percentage of sales increased, so the installed base of PalmOS devices went down.

Surur
    I will agree with that statement... Why because Im part of those statistics. After 4 Treos in 6 weeks I was tired of all the broo-ha-ha that Palm was doing. I even launched a BBB Complaint against them which ultimately might of gotten them to wake up and dump the foleo and fix the 700P data issues. I defected to the Blackberry group 1 month ago. It does lack features etc.etc.etc. But this is what i found interesting. Talking to the BB(blackberry) crowd I posed an interesting question. Who here use to use the Treo line or Palm products.. I'd say more than half of them responded with 700P, many many 650P owners etc.. I was pretty astonished as to who admitted this. The next question to that was 'why'. I got alot of good responses back. So I would agree that the PalmOS marketshare is definitely dwindling. I know of other people (individuals) and companies who have dumped their Palm Treos for blackberry or windows devices. I do like the 'concept' of what the PalmOS can do and the concept of the Linux-Treo but too little too late. I do want palm to woo me back but I suddenly woke up and smelled the coffee. If I keep waiting and waiting I'll get even more disgruntled when they keep pushing back a potential future product.

As the Neo Geo Console use to say... "The Future is NOW!"
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Palm already wooed me back with the Centro. Other than the iphone, there's not an easier smartphone to use. But it does everything i need it to do. And it does it well.

Despite the lack of an OS upgrade for palm, WM (slow, stylus driven with the start button crap) and Blackberry (hardly any features) still don't compare to it. Maybe you should get on their forums and ask why they can't make it simple stupid. Palm has been kicking their **** in that department for years.

Seriously, if palm is successful in its linux OS, then that will be the one to look at. It's main competitor will be Apple. Not WM, which is living on its windows name. Blackberry however is in solid with the businesses. There's no way in &*$%^ i'd bring in WM phones to my business. Support would be a nightmare.

Bottom line, WM is the one that needs a major OS upgrade worse than palm. That's just my opinion, but right now it stinks. Palm OS beats it easily. The only WM phone that would be tolerable for me to use..surprising is made by palm..go figure..
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm already wooed me back with the Centro. Other than the iphone, there's not an easier smartphone to use. But it does everything i need it to do. And it does it well.

Despite the lack of an OS upgrade for palm, WM (slow, stylus driven with the start button crap) and Blackberry (hardly any features) still don't compare to it. Maybe you should get on their forums and ask why they can't make it simple stupid. Palm has been kicking their **** in that department for years.

Seriously, if palm is successful in its linux OS, then that will be the one to look at. It's main competitor will be Apple. Not WM, which is living on its windows name. Blackberry however is in solid with the businesses. There's no way in &*$%^ i'd bring in WM phones to my business. Support would be a nightmare.

Bottom line, WM is the one that needs a major OS upgrade worse than palm. That's just my opinion, but right now it stinks. Palm OS beats it easily. The only WM phone that would be tolerable for me to use..surprising is made by palm..go figure..
    There better be plenty of businesses that dont agree with you, else Palm, with their WM enterprise strategy, is doomed.

Surur
    I suppose that's why palm is working hard on another OS. People want something other than WM. Don't blame them. Microsoft needs to update that mess but every MS update results in more headaches. Perhaps they should just trash it and start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I suppose that's why palm is working hard on another OS. People want something other than WM. Don't blame them. Microsoft needs to update that mess but every MS update results in more headaches. Perhaps they should just trash it and start over.

We haven't mentioned much lately but Acess is working with a company in Israel that may give us a linux "Treo" by mid 2008. If they release a healthy phone then Palm will be in trouble as far as POS II goes!!
    They must have a good plan between now and POSII's release or else they will all be forgotten...
    I wonder how the iPhone will look feature-wise in mid-2009? Hopefully Palm doesn't deliver a POS-II that's DOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I wonder how the iPhone will look feature-wise in mid-2009? Hopefully Palm doesn't deliver a POS-II that's DOA.
    I've said it before, but I bet that Palm will never really deliver another POS. By mid-2009 there will be very few users of POS and any remaining Palm users will have already migrated to Palm's WM phones.

As for the iPhone by mid-2009? A lot, it will have a lot. Apple doesn't sit on it's products and do nothing.
    why don't all of you Palm OS fans switch away to something else for a while to check it out and if you don't like it, switch back when new devices are released?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    why don't all of you Palm OS fans switch away to something else for a while to check it out and if you don't like it, switch back when new devices are released?
    I'm not interested in switching from POS. Despite its age, there is still nothing out there that does everything for me like the POS does. However, I would still like to see a bit of innovation such as WiFi (weak cell signal at my house), better stability, etc. I really see nothing so compelling, besides eye-candy, that would make me want to switch.
    I tend to agree, MarkY. My 680 really does just about everything I need. And it does so quickly, efficiently, and discreetly. It is relatively small, the keyboard is great, and the amazing 3rd party programs make it so diverse. I played around with a BB, including the Curve, and I couldn't take it. But mid 2009 is an awful long time to wait for the next OS. Maybe they put that out, so that when they beat that schedule, they'll look good?
    I can't wait but I might as well wait. My 700p has been quite solid and has accomodated all my needs without need to upgrade. I really like POS inspite its age and have worked around its lackings. I have used WM and have no problem with it...I just deal with windows enough at work, home and everyday...I don't want to deal with it at every corner of my life.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    . . .It is relatively small . . .
    Yes, compared to a desktop PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Maybe they put that out, so that when they beat that schedule, they'll look good?
    Palm is a publicly traded company. The last thing they are going to do is put out misleading statements.
    Palm OS's age doesn't bother me. It does everything I need. I can live without "multi-tasking," which is one of the biggest criticisms out there. With EVDO, I can live without wi-fi and don't need bluetooth 2.0. Sure the user-interface has been around for a while, but that's no big deal for me. There are some great third-party programs that will jazz it up.

So yesterday, I took a day trip and did the following with my Treo: watched 3:10 to Yuma, got my emails, looked up a phone number for my daughter, watched the first half of the GA-FL game (Orb), kept up-to-date on the second half with ESPN, drove back home (3-hours) and watched parts of the World Series, OSU-Penn St game, SC-Tenn game.

Yeah, I can live with Palm OS for a while longer.
    Well, I definitely wouldn't say that PalmOS doesn't do the things I want. I would say that if we had a real multitasking OS, I would be doing MORE. As it is, the biggest limitation I feel I have to watch out for is the limit on the number of network sockets (8). I can't keep all the live background applications I'd like (esp email and IM) because of this and it is becoming increasingly annoying as I see other vendors come out with OS'es without such silly limits.

Each of us uses our devices in different ways, but those who yell loudest about needing some modern are the ones who have bumped into one or more of FrankenGarnet's limits.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast