1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I just noticed that goosync now supports OTA sync of both calendar and contacts. www.goosync.com

Calendar syncing has been around for awhile, but the contact sync is very new. I've very excited about this!! RIMs push service is losing ground every day!!

If you are using Gmail as you primary email client and all of your contacts are in gmail's contact manager, then you are set. What about those of use who use Thunderbird, outlook, etc? Well I've got a great solution that pulls everything together, Plaxo.com.

Plaxo is an amazing service for managing online contacts (Plaxo also does calendars, but it isn't nearly as good as Google calendar) with plugins for all major email clients. What's more, Plaxo has a really great update feature that sends a friendly email out to everyone in your contact list asking them to go update their personal information. My experience is that I easily get 70% of my contacts going in and updating their information themselves, meaning I don't have to manually input new info for my contacts. By using Plaxo as a central repository for all contacts, there is no need to worry about losing them or not being able to get at them. As long as you have access to the net, you can sync up your contracts.

Currently Plaxo cannot sync to Gmail, however they are working on it. Fortunately, there is a great applet out there called Plaxo4Gmail that keeps your Plaxo-Gmail address books in sync. You can get it here http://plaxo4gmail.blogspot.com/ Very slick little app.

What I have now is merging of the best of Plaxo with the best of Google. All of my contacts and calendar entries are synced between Google and Plaxo. Using Plaxo plugins, I can sync my online data to most major email clients. Using Goosync, I can sync my calendar and contacts OTA to my Treo.

Yes, there are a number of pieces that must come together to make this work, but it does work well. I am confident that somewhere down the line I will be able to lose the Plaxo side of things as Google matures. For now, this solution works great.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 10/23/2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks Q!
    Sounds like I can now sync my Treo and Gmail contacts...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Damn. That's only for the paid subscription Premium service. Not worth my money...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C