1.    #1  
    I'd like an objective review/comparison between browsing the Web on PalmOS devices vs WM devices. Choose whichever browser is the best for each device, and whichever smartphone (Treo 755p, Centro, 700wx, 500v, Mogul, etc). Please let me know if this is already covered and done well somewhere else. Issues include stability, speed, faithfulness in rendering sites, CSS, extras (Flash, YouTube, downloads, etc), and how closely it can mimic desktop browsing.

I'd really just like to know where the field stands, particularly how Centro/Blazer compares with the best WM browsers. Also what might lie shortly ahead (Picsel, Firefox Mobile, Opera 9, etc).

Thanks.
    Palm OS web browsing is horrible compared to the desktop. Blazer and Opera Mini 3 squeeze the site down to a single column. Opera Mini 3 is probably faster because they do this server side. Opera Mini 4 lets you see a zoomed out version of the whole page, but instead of seeing the text like you're supposed to, it just shows a line where the text would be. (Opera Mini requires the Java runtime and isn't a Palm native app, so it has quite a few limitations as well.)

Universe is in development by a member here, and might possibly be better, from what I understand he's rewriting the entire engine.

Other than that, there's nothing on the horizon. Opera Mobile, which is apparently very good on WM, doesn't have a Palm counterpart. Picsel browser is an OEM product, only comes bundled with devices. There's a version floating around online that puts my 755p into a reset loop. Firefox Mobile, that'd be doubtful that it'd be brought to the Palm OS either. Basically all real innovation in Palm OS development is pretty much dead, partly because why develop for a platform that (supposedly) in a year will look nothing like it currently does.
    PIE+ for WM is probably as good as it gets on mobile browsing IMO. It's a crime for WM browsers to not have a find on page function.
    Xiino for POS was great but really doesn't compare to PIE+ (multi- tabs, better script support, different formatting options, etc)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    On a palm, you probably don't want much desktop mimicing anyways. It's convenient to use the navigation button to scroll down. Makes reading a bit easier as its fit to screen.

The zooming in and out works on the iphone because its screen is so good and wider.

I would say the next treo and even WM phones will have safari like browsers in a about a year..maybe a bit longer. You'll also be able to much more than safari allows.

Be patient. Enjoy the mobile surfing you can do now (its not that bad). Change is on the way.
    All I can is tradeoffs, it's all about tradeoffs...

Blazer on the Centro is one of the fastest browsers I've used, but the fonts are not that great (Small or Large, no Med..?). The resolution is nice, but the browser feels dated.

PIE is not that bad, but kind of slow to render. PIE+ does add some nice functionality that's missing. Resolution is relative to the device--but VGA is rare here in the U.S. and we haven't seen 320x320 on WM released yet.

Opera Mini is okay for just browsing, but I find some of the UI cluncky, plus no downloads.

Opera Mobile is pretty good once you've waited what seems like forever for it to load (NetFront is even worse).

Picsel was cool, but the controls were missing.

Heck, even Mobile Safari looked pretty, but I quickly grew tired of swiping and zooming just to read a single article.

Right now, I'm content with Blazer or plain PIE on mobile-formatted pages--it's fast and to the point.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    There's rarely an instance where I prefer PIE to Opera Mobile. It does take a little bit to start up, but its usually "hanging around" (if one has the memory). One current problem I have with Opera (which other seem to have also) is that it seems to "stutter" a lot... just goes off for 4-5secs at a time before responding again... (this is on a Dash, either Wifi or Tmo/EDGE).

So how does Blazer (Centro) do with "average" (moderately complex) websites these days ? How about this site (TC) ? Does it render it faithfully (i.e. looks very similar to desktop rendition, just zoomed up a lot) ? Does it handle current CSS usage ? Does it have fairly flexible zooming (in/out) options ?

How about sites requiring SSL, Javascript, etc for financial transactions ? Does it do banking websites well ? Amazon ?
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    There's rarely an instance where I prefer PIE to Opera Mobile. It does take a little bit to start up, but its usually "hanging around" (if one has the memory). One current problem I have with Opera (which other seem to have also) is that it seems to "stutter" a lot... just goes off for 4-5secs at a time before responding again... (this is on a Dash, either Wifi or Tmo/EDGE).

So how does Blazer (Centro) do with "average" (moderately complex) websites these days ? How about this site (TC) ? Does it render it faithfully (i.e. looks very similar to desktop rendition, just zoomed up a lot) ? Does it handle current CSS usage ? Does it have fairly flexible zooming (in/out) options ?

How about sites requiring SSL, Javascript, etc for financial transactions ? Does it do banking websites well ? Amazon ?

this my first experience with blazer, on centro (first smartphone) I haven,t used it a ton yet ( ordered anything, banking, download much) but i'd have to say it's pretty decent. t/c here loads about 4/5 secs for the whole thing to pop up and all. most everything loads pretty quickly for my taste (haven't experienced anything else yet like opera or PIE or earlier blazer)

not to get off topic but I was wondering if one should worry about viruses/spyware and the like infecting the phone? new to all this technology, I feel like stepped out of the stone age with this thing coming from crap flip phones that basically just make calls.

again sorry to get off topic kinda

thanks all

*EDIT* so I thought it loaded this site in 4/5 secs but average would be about 8-10 secs for the reg. version of TC not mobile.
    Last edited by kevhead; 10/23/2007 at 06:54 PM.
    neurocutie: Blazer hasn't really be updated in a long time--if anything it's a combination of some tweaks by Palm and their new hardware platform that lets Blazer shine (for a browser stuck in 2003, ahem) on the Centro, but there are no new features.

I only visit mobile optimized sites as I don't gain anything from using the full-site--I have to say using TC mobile with the Centro: practically instant on the links.

I'm not sure there is any winner here, just different ways of squeezing 1024X768 pixels into 320x320 or 240x240, etc.

If you like Opera Mobile though, I doubt you'll find Blazer an exhilarating or life changing experience, lol.

kevhead
    : no, don't worry about that stuff. It's a non-issue and has been for years now. Maybe someday we'll be cursed with that junk

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    If you like Opera Mobile though, I doubt you'll find Blazer an exhilarating or life changing experience, lol.
    I remember the proxied Blazer 1.x from my i500 ... *that* was a life changing experience... Xiino ran rings around that version of Blazer... as did Novarra nweb...
    hey malatesta, thanks for info. glad to here that, hopefully that someday never comes
    I had novarra on my 300 earlier this year. It was pretty good considering that the screen on the 300 suffered from many short comings...

But NWeb sucked on my 755p...too many random resets. I can't complain as I know that novarra made this browser for a much older device....

Opera mini also sucks on the 755p

since I mostly browse content-rich websites, I barely use my treo to get on the net anyways. Unless I'm traveling and need some info or movie showtimes, etc.
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3