Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was reading my web news and I saw an article for the new HTP Touch and HTP Touch Dual.

I myself have an old Treo 650 and I enjoy it alot, though I love the idea behind the "touch" phones. I have seen the new mogul and I liked the idea, but I have alot of times that I would be using the phone with 1 hand and the mogul isnt really a 1 handed phone.

The only thing I dont like about the HTP Touch(s) is the lack of a "real" keyboard. I know the dual uses a 20 button keyboard, as which uses 2 keys per letter, which im not sure how I would feel about that.

If someone would make something like the HTP Touch Dual, but with the keyboard like the treo phone, that would almost be perfection fo rme.

Does anyone have any rumors of something like this?
    As with many things, I bet many will get adjusted to a virtual keyboard. If not, you can alway return it to Sprint in the 30 days period.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    You won't be writing novels on either really..but having a nav button at bottom would be essential IMO. There's only so much touching & swiping i want to do..lol
    I think there will be a fair amount of switchers, once they use some of the 3rd party keyboards like the TouchPal.

I think the speed, ram, size, and screen will get a lot of folks.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    I was reading my web news and I saw an article for the new HTP Touch and HTP Touch Dual.

I myself have an old Treo 650 and I enjoy it alot, though I love the idea behind the "touch" phones. I have seen the new mogul and I liked the idea, but I have alot of times that I would be using the phone with 1 hand and the mogul isnt really a 1 handed phone.

The only thing I dont like about the HTP Touch(s) is the lack of a "real" keyboard. I know the dual uses a 20 button keyboard, as which uses 2 keys per letter, which im not sure how I would feel about that.

If someone would make something like the HTP Touch Dual, but with the keyboard like the treo phone, that would almost be perfection fo rme.

Does anyone have any rumors of something like this?
    Did you mean HTC instead of HTP?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Did you mean HTC instead of HTP?
    i ditched my 700wx for a Sprint HTC Touch and I love it. The lack of a hardware keyboard does not really hinder me. I am up to 75% Treo speed, but with a beautiful screen and speedy processor, in a great form factor.
    I just got my Touch...haven't been able to play around with it, but the form factor is smooooooooooooooooooooth.
    well, I can tell you the shift to a virtual keyboard takes a while.

But I find the biggest challenge to get used to the dpad being at the bottom instead of the middle of the device.

But I still really like it.
    I recommend you try touchpal. It makes text entry pretty smooth
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    I recommend you try touchpal.
    Couldn't have typed it better myself Kinda says it all for me...
    [Hint: apropos typo]
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    Couldn't have typed it better myself Kinda says it all for me...
    [Hint: apropos typo]
    Hmm you lost me... although I just noticed mikec did mention touchpal previously. BTW touchpal worked pretty well on my 700wx too I ran it for a while to see if I could get used to it before I made the switch.
    Please see the attached picture.

Original from Brighthand forum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The one on the right looks very nice. Its a good mockup of what it could look like.
    Nice photoshops, but I'm pretty much of the mindset that sliders suck (for me).

But I'd like to see the devices...more option mo' betta.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post

exactly what i would like to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by L3thal View Post
    The one on the right looks very nice. Its a good mockup of what it could look like.
    Supposedly with this mockup its the same unit. The screen slides.

The first pic is with the keyboard open and the other is with it closed.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Yep, I could go for that. Keyboard-less I would not be so happy about. Not sure if I'd rather a vertical slider or a horizontal slider, but a vertical is a little easier to use, especially one-handed, so I suspect Palm would go that route if they did.

320x480 would be nice... Higher res nicer I suppose by the time a device like that came out it would be on the Linux platform so they could easily do 800x400 or better.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    if palm ever gave us more screen size like the mock up then they would screw us on the keyboard. that mock up would actually be my next treo if i had my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post

Intriguing. In terms of form factor, the only other thing I'd be interested in is a landscape mode. The idea I'm thinking is that the screen portion could swivel 90 degrees right or left, but only once you've slid the screen up... just like the AT&T Tilt can't be tilted until the screen has been slid up. That way, you get the benefits of the keyboard in the right direction for either mode. Of course, that's a very complex mechanical connection, and I'd have to wonder about the reliability of it.

Maybe they can start making these things with magnesium bodies like good DSLR cameras and business laptops.

Oh, and while I'm dreaming, toss in WiFi, GPS, factory custom ROM, choice of OS, 3+MP camera, some method of adding a compact external flash, a 3.5mm headphone jack, 16+MB microSD capability 128+MB of RAM, and a discount price. OK, it's not even feasible at this point but it's fun to dream.

I do think it's odd that there's no ultra-premium level of phones, though. Well, at least on a technical level. Think about it... feature phones are like your average ford or honda. The fancier feature phones (music player, video player, etc.) are kinda like the Mazdas, Subarus... they offer a little something extra. Then you have the smartphone range, which includes things like the iPhone (argued, I know), Blackberries, Treos & Centros, and WM phones. These are a bit like the BMWs, Mercedes, the Subaru WRX Sti, etc. These are models that are somewhat exclusive, they've got more features than your average car, there are enthusiast communities of support around them, and people like to customize them a bit.

But what's beyond that? Where's the Ferrari? The Porsche? The Bentley? The Brabus monsters? The Panoz? The Foose hot rods? The only higher level of exclusivity in smartphones that I know of is those Vertu things... which is a bit like a Pimp My Ride special on a Toyota Corolla. Sure, it looks nice... well, I mean it looks like a Cadillac, but it still is no more special technically than a common econobox. Not to pull credit from Vertu... I'm sure there's a market for their phones... not everyone wants the technical level, but they want something that looks real nice.

But there is no such thing that I know of that's the equivalent of getting a fine car crafted to your demands. Now, I never expect to be able to afford such a car or a phone myself, but I do suspect that there are people who can, and there are benefits to such a market for the rest of us... trickle-down.

OK... time to give up the soapbox... I've gotten carried away again. Back to the original tangent.
    Who's flying this thing?
    I made the move to the Touch...and am petty happy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast