Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which is better?

Card Reader from Mobile-Stream or Card Export II from Softick

Is there an equivalent freeware that does the same thing?
    No equivalent freeware to my knowledge.
    When I first got the 600; I used to cart around my USB cable & use Softick's software. When I got the 650; someone suggested that I get a SD USB 2.0 thumb card reader from ComPUSA for $10 uSD.

That was the best suggestion ever! I swap files between my Treo 650; computers and digital cameras effortlessly!I currently use the IOGear - GFR202SD and an extra Kingston TravelLite SD Reader FCR-HS2MMC/SD. They both fit in that little 'coin pocket' that many jeans have on the right front pocket! Google it up to see an image!

No need for either software solution now.
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    Card Reader (the software, of course). Never need to take the card out, which will help the dicey mechanism; all you need is a sync cable and you can read your card on any PC. Fast, easy, and it works.
    Neither. I use the "Connect to Desktop" feature that comes with mVoice. Does the same thing and more consistently.
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    Which is better?

Card Reader from Mobile-Stream or Card Export II from Softick

Is there an equivalent freeware that does the same thing?
    filepc2pda is free
  7.    #7  
    I like the thumb card reader solution. It's good for transferring stuff via the SD card. That's what I currently use.

Do any of the above USB drive converter programs allow browsing the files on the Treo itself as if it were a USB drive on the PC?
    filepc2pda does.
    filepc2pda requires a software program on the desktop machine. Card Reader will work on any computer anywhere. I actually use the Treo as a USB drive, transporting presentations from one place to another using Card Reader.
    Though I have tried both the latest versions of Card Reader and Card Export II, only Card Export II will start to charge your Treo when a connection is established to a PC without the Palm drivers installed. (It'll keep charging even after you close the connection as long as you don't unplug the cable)

For that reason, I recommmend Card Export II as you only need carry the sync cable with you to be able to charge your Treo (I use mine at the office and leave my charger at home).
    I have CardReader and my 680 charges when I use it...
    Its not the software, its the USB cable you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by mboothe View Post
    I have CardReader and my 680 charges when I use it...
    My 700P charges with several different connectors with Card Reader.
    I just did a quick test at work and in ten connection attempts with Card Reader v1.07 the Treo did not begin to charge. Card Export on the other hand gave me a red charge light seven out of ten times, it began to charge but hung the Treo twice and in the last case it connected but failed to begin charging.

This is using the standard cable that comes with the 680's.

Initially, a USB device is only allowed to draw 100 mA and this isn't enough to allow the charging circuitry in the Treo to begin charging, but the software can request more current from the upstream device (my workstation on this case) in units of 100 mA up to a maximum of 500 mA (perhaps through bmAttributes and Maxpower definitions in the Configuration Descriptor ?). I think this is the difference between Card Export II and Card Reader.
    Just my opinion as 'it-works-for-me'....
    Last edited by tomtastic; 10/22/2007 at 05:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    I just did a quick test at work and in ten connection attempts with Card Reader v1.07 the Treo did not begin to charge. Card Export on the other hand gave me a red charge light seven out of ten times, it began to charge but hung the Treo twice and in the last case it connected but failed to begin charging.

This is using the standard cable that comes with the 680's.

So if you're not in either program, and you connect your device to the USB port, your LED doesn't come on? Mine (700P) always does. And it stays on when I am in Card Reader, even on my home computer which does not have Palm Desktop installed (or any other drivers that I'm aware of). Could the USB cables be different for different devices?
    Last edited by davidra; 10/22/2007 at 12:37 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Its not the software, its the USB cable you use.

Can you explain how "the USB cable you use" can effect charging?
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    What he's saying is that when one plugs in the USB cable that came with your Treo it "should" charge no matter what PC you plug it into or what software you're running.

I know from my experience it charges no matter what the circumstance.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    What he's saying is that when one plugs in the USB cable that came with your Treo it "should" charge no matter what PC you plug it into or what software you're running.

I know from my experience it charges no matter what the circumstance.
    Same here my 700p always charges so I don't know how a USB cable could effect charging unless it was a defective USB cable.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    The standard Hotsync USB cable that comes with your Treo does not normally allow for regular charging current via the standard USB port from your PC, however, there is presence of lower level charging current as reported by users. The presence of lower current allows you to trickle charge your Treo even though the LED does not indicate it is charging. To allow regular charging rate, you attach the supplied AC adaptor to the cable.

The Hotsync and Charge USB cables are cables that has been configured to allow sufficient current to flow from your USB port to your Treo, hence the LED light also indicates it is charging even without any software activated. Some examples of these are shown at the Treo store here: Sync & Charge Solutions

This topic discussed ad nauseum.
    USB synch cable and charging
    Charging battery through USB port
    Is a USB connection supposed to charge your battery?
    USB charging question
    USB Charging Cable Charge Times
    USB cable to charge only?
    Battery/Charging Issues
    Treo charging thru regular sync cable?
    Does 650 charge through USB to PC?

Mobile users - Click the links below:
    USB synch cable and charging
    Charging battery through USB port
    Is a USB connection supposed to charge your battery?
    USB charging question
    USB Charging Cable Charge Times
    USB cable to charge only?
    Battery/Charging Issues
    Treo charging thru regular sync cable?
    Does 650 charge through USB to PC?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/24/2007 at 08:11 PM.
    OK, we're straying off-topic here, but I think it's fair to assume most people will just use the standard USB cable their Treo came with.

For my 680 and my partners (both bought in the UK) that means no charging light if simply plugged into a USB port on a PC using the standard cable they come with, unless we initiate a connection with Card Export II. You may manage to get your 680 to charge with the standard cable if you install Palm's USB drivers or you plug it into a powered-USB hub, but I haven't tried either.

It seems the 700p's charge regardless, so for 'fulltlt' this entire argument is probably irrelevent and in his case I'd recommend Card Reader for it's superior functionality and stability over Card Export II. An external card reader remains however a far faster method of moving files to or from an SD card.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast