Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I know this has been mentioned before, but I think it is worth a reminder. Turning off bluetooth really saves battery life. I would say I can almost double my battery life by shutting off the bluetooth. Of course, also shutting off beam receive helps a bit.
  2. #2  
    While we're stating the obvious, shutting off the cellphone radio helps a ton too.
  3. #3  
  4. #4  
    Not turning off BT is what keeps me from having BT issues. I don't have a problem with battery life since I have a car charger, a USB sync charger at work, a USB sync charger and a wall charger at home.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, pool. It does seem that turning off BT does cause connection problems later, if that's what you mean. It's just that when I was traveling yesterday and had bt off, my battery life was much better.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Yeah, pool. It does seem that turning off BT does cause connection problems later, if that's what you mean. It's just that when I was traveling yesterday and had bt off, my battery life was much better.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, it has been proven that turning it off saves the battery, but with the different charger available, I'd rather leave it on and prevent the BT problems.
  7. #7  
    Some refinement here is needed:

    Having BT on, not paired and not in pairing mode e.g. searching for BT devices, does not consume much power, in fact is negligible on most devices.

    Having it in pairing mode *does* consume a lot of power though.

    Making sure IR is off is much more relevant.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    Seeing as though BT connection problems had been discussed, I think it was fairly obvious that we were talking about BT being on and paired with a device, that being said I don't think the refinement was needed at all.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I know this has been mentioned before, but I think it is worth a reminder. Turning off bluetooth really saves battery life. I would say I can almost double my battery life by shutting off the bluetooth. Of course, also shutting off beam receive helps a bit.
    Not really.. Less than a percent an hour.
  10. #10  
    pool_shark,

    the refinement *is* needed. even when BT is paired, if not active e.g. a phone call, the battery drain is negligible (as mentioned above) around 1-2% per hour. BT is not a battery drain.

    if it is on your device then you have other issues going on. otherwise I challenge you to find any concrete measurements showing that paired but not active BT consumes a large amount of power.

    -mal

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Ok. Maybe something else was going on with my Treo. It just seemed to last a lot longer after shutting off bt. Let this thread die.
  12. dpc
    dpc is offline
    dpc's Avatar
    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #12  
    Speaking of saving battery life, I recently drained the treo battery on sunday, really by accident, and since then my battery life seems to have increased significantly.

    Where before it would show as half full by 2pm, it now shows at 90% at the same time.

    I'm kind of leaning towards it possibly misreading the actual battery life though since it seems so unrealistic. In terms of use, I used it briefly in the morning, but hadn't used it for most of the day. Also, I found that my IR was on and recently shut it off, BT always off.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I know this has been mentioned before, but I think it is worth a reminder. Turning off bluetooth really saves battery life. I would say I can almost double my battery life by shutting off the bluetooth. Of course, also shutting off beam receive helps a bit.
    I definitively agree with you. If I forget to turn BT off, my T680 does not make it to the end of day (quite large email, tens of phone calls).
    If I do turn BT off, my battery last more than 2 days under the same usage pattern...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    I definitively agree with you. If I forget to turn BT off, my T680 does not make it to the end of day (quite large email, tens of phone calls).
    If I do turn BT off, my battery last more than 2 days under the same usage pattern...
    I seriously doubt this... BT has been measured at <1%/hr
  15. #15  
    On my 755p, it varies. Sometimes it'll last exactly the same with bluetooth on as with it off, and sometimes, the battery will be about 20% lower at the same time of day.
  16. #16  
    BT off, Location off, plus my new Seidio 2600mAh battery...anything that will allow me to cut the charger Umbilical cord.
    at&t iPhone3G
  17. #17  
    I ran a test last night on my 755P with the stock Palm battery using Power Hero to schedule various events and to record the battery status. I found that with only BT on, the battery drained by 2% in 2 hours. With only the phone on, the battery drained by 1% in 2 hours. With both BT and phone off, the battery drained by 1% in 2 hours. If we extrapolate, then it would appear that the battery should last three times longer with BT off. That assumes we do nothing else with our Treos in the meantime. I'll try another test tonight with BT on and paired with my GPS unit.

    Paul
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pokada View Post
    I ran a test last night on my 755P with the stock Palm battery using Power Hero to schedule various events and to record the battery status. I found that with only BT on, the battery drained by 2% in 2 hours. With only the phone on, the battery drained by 1% in 2 hours. With both BT and phone off, the battery drained by 1% in 2 hours. If we extrapolate, then it would appear that the battery should last three times longer with BT off. That assumes we do nothing else with our Treos in the meantime. I'll try another test tonight with BT on and paired with my GPS unit.

    Paul
    So like I said, <1% an hour.. Which would mean it'd take 100 hours for Bluetooth to empty the battery.

    If you use data on the phone (IM/Chatter) <1% is meaningless. They'll take 5-6%/hr depending on the amount of data/email/etc.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I seriously doubt this... BT has been measured at <1%/hr
    I'm very happy for you. But that's my personal experience.

Posting Permissions