Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seems like the amount of new posts here at TreoCentral has slowed down in the last few weeks. Maybe not, but seems that way. Can anyone from Treocentral confirm/deny that?

Is the Palm community dying off?

Are people just so unhappy with their Treos that they are switching to something different?

Or is the Treo just fixed (post MR) so there is nothing to write about?
    For a lot of us who've had palm phones (The 755p is about my 7th palm based phone and my 4th Treo model) I have pretty much everything I need to make my phone do what I want. I will be getting a slingbox, but my phone does everything I want now.

So, since I tire really quickly of all the Palm and Treo are dead posts, I dont post much except to help someone who still has a problem that I can help with With the FAQ's, stickeys, and search, most people can find what they need without posting anything.

For those who are never happy, there are still the world is ending posts.
    Too many other competitors out there nowadays and Palm has fallen WAY behind. Many have moved on.
    well for me the 700p is FIXED. so really nothing to post at present, although could change any moment.
    I moved to a Q9m the other day, but will still visit the boards. I like the community here, but am also tired of the palm is dead posts. Hence my thread on palm is not dead.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Seems like the amount of new posts here at TreoCentral has slowed down in the last few weeks....
    The quality of grammar is in decline too....

PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Is the Palm community dying off? I guess one could argue either for or against such a claim. There isn't a lot of data available to prove either position at this time, but I think that a few weeks of 'slow posting' isn't the best of indicators.

Palm may have an outdated OS, but it does everything I need it to. When I look to buy anything, I always ask myself if it will satisfy my needs or accomplish that which I need it to. My Treo does just that. I have everything on it that I could possibly want, so there's no point in me looking anywhere else right now. Just because phone 'A' is receiving all the buzz these days isn't enough for me to ditch a very valuable and necessary tool.

I'm satisfied with what I have. In fact, I'm very satisfied with it, and whether or not I post a lot isn't going to change my position on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put the OP down (he asks a very good question), but I tend to be more of a browser - soaking up information - than I am a poster.
    It's all the people who have no manners and complain on here that runs everyone off. Seriously, do you like to sit in front of someone and watch them eat with their mouth open while they smack their food?
    Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    It's all the people who have no manners and complain on here that runs everyone off. Seriously, do you like to sit in front of someone and watch them eat with their mouth open while they smack their food?
    That's been happening since the beginning of the internet. I don't think it matters much as you can just ignore a post very easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Seems like the amount of new posts here at TreoCentral has slowed down in the last few weeks. ....
    I would be surprisesd if this is true with all of the activity in relation to 500 and Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    The iPhone did it.
    What nonsense. Most here appreciate that the iPhone is not even in the same market as Treo.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    The iPhone did it.
    If it's true (and I'm not convinced), perhaps the splitting off of the iPhone forum is partially to blame? Over the last year it seems half the posts here were of the "iPhone's better/worse than Treo" type.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    The iPhone did it.
    the iphone's days are numbered. it will get hacked again and lots of interesting things will be squeezed out of the device and then

and then.....

the battery will conk out

for most users, that'll be it

and then, they will buy the real new treo that come out 12 months time and this forum will become HUGER than ever before
    It's because of the tranquilizers dude! Why post when you can pop, dude? LOL
    Matty
    I think Palm has lost their juice. The Foleo fiasco happened first, at a time when Palm was seen as slipping. Foleo was hyped so much, then given the old Gilda Radner "Nevermind" and a lot of people wrote Palm off. It couldn't have come at a worse time either as Palm seemed to be following Morotola's lead and running their one exciting product into the ground. No innovation, nothing new, just retreads and rehashes. What's Moto done since the RAZR lit up the phone world? Squat, and they're paying for it now. Moto sales are in the toilet and the president even came out with a statement that "we won't continue to rely on one design" = "we'll start to innovate (again)." So to recover from the Foleo boondogle, Palm's innovation is a low-end Treo? Move some buttons around, change the style of the keyboard? Couple this with the recent announcement that Palm's Next Great Thing™, a new OS to replace the hideously unstable and outdated Garnet, will be delayed MORE THAN A YEAR and you have the perfect recipe for disappointing your user base and driving customers to look eslewhere. That's what I did. I went Nokia, then Blackberry. These companies are innovating their product lines, both in terms of design and technical features.

Palm has nothing new on the horizon. A low-end Treo and in 12 - 18 months a new OS. Maybe. Or perhaps it will be their Longhorn and slip even more. It's not a recipe for a rebound. If your Treo works for you now and you're happy with the features as it stands now, great. If you're looking for something new and innovative, however, look eslewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    the iphone's days are numbered. it will get hacked again and lots of interesting things will be squeezed out of the device and then

and then.....

the battery will conk out

for most users, that'll be it

and then, they will buy the real new treo that come out 12 months time and this forum will become HUGER than ever before

I'll take that bet. I bet in 18 months the iPhone is still around selling well and Palm is selling only Windows based devices (without wi-fi) after abandoning the Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    cuz verizon wont offer any new phones and we have given up on the 700
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    I think many will eventually get fed up with the iPhone if Apple keeps 'closing the doors' to any possibility of adding 3rd party software.

I like Apple, but locking users in to what only Apple will give them is just ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Yes I think many of us are moving away from Palm. I'm with HTC now. Palm's been promising a Linux based phone next year for about 5 years now.
    maybe because wmexperts and phone different are getting more traffic?
    maybe the site should be changed to smartphone central.
    Ok the premise of this thread is nonsense.

However I will try to give a serious answer to why people are posting less.

1) Palm has gotten a lot better at hiding unannounced phones. No more Merlyn3D buying new gadgets off gaistslist.

2) The true hackers have moved on to many different platforms, noticably the wm platform. Shadowmite is hacking HTC phones. This is related to Palm going "down market" gradually in the last few years.

3) The limble state of the new PalmOS has silent many truely passionate fans and evanglists.

4) As for the indifferent faction (i.e. me), I stop being a Palm "fanboy" when they announced the 700w.

But I have to point out OP's assumption that TC is getting less post has no basis. If you want to see a real barren place, go to mytreo.net.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast