Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Seems like the amount of new posts here at TreoCentral has slowed down in the last few weeks. Maybe not, but seems that way. Can anyone from Treocentral confirm/deny that?

Is the Palm community dying off?

Are people just so unhappy with their Treos that they are switching to something different?

Or is the Treo just fixed (post MR) so there is nothing to write about?
    I have to agree. I visit here daily and have noticed a pronounced lack of new postings over the last several months.
    Anyone who has been around here long enough knows that the number of posts always dies down between new phone releases. Last year there were a lot of new releases so I think some of us forgot how quiet it could get. In a little while we will start seeing some Centro customers come in (not a ton though because of the low-end non-nerd market it targets). Then when the 800w comes out it will be crazy all over again. You can see by the length of time I have been around and my number of posts that I an example of this myself. I always drop in and read what's going on but I only posts when there is something new and compelling. Sometimes it's new software but even most of that action comes when the device is new. Mostly to fix shortcomings or problems. There are also alot of post about what is compatible or available and what is updated when a new phone arrives. When the 650 came out I stuck with my 600. That thread became a vast wasteland as everyone wanted to talk about the new phone.

In other words, it goes without saying that the # of posts will die off gradually the older the devices get. There are new devices on the way and the posts will roll again. The power of the Treo is so great that even people with other devices still love to be here...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post

In other words, it goes without saying that the # of posts will die off gradually the older the devices get. There are new devices on the way and the posts will roll again. The power of the Treo is so great that even people with other devices still love to be here...

So you're saying in 12-18 months we should see some new posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartr View Post
    I have to agree. I visit here daily and have noticed a pronounced lack of new postings over the last several months.
    This is all relative.

I love btw how every negative post on TC and proclamation on the future of Palm comes from POS users, not WM users--quite myopic considering half of Treo sales are now WM.

User posts may be down...if you're a POS user, but not if you're WM. Just look at the 700wx forum: 212 are currently viewing at 2pm. You'll notice that is consistent: that forum always has higher number of viewers than any other. Granted, POS devices are spread out over at least 5 sub-forums, so that has to be considered as well.

Fact is, without any solid numbers this whole thread is just an unsupported observation.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Fact is, without any solid numbers this whole thread is just an unsupported observation.
    Funny that you mention this, as about a year ago this question arose for me, and I set up a script which scraped the TreoCentral forum page every 10 minutes for 24 hours, to see who was viewing which forum most often. The result then were more or less parity, but with the advantage to the 700wx forum vs the 700p forum.

700p..............700wx

At present 97 people are viewing the 700p forum, while 222 is viewing the 700wx forum. Both grew, but the 700wx is more than double. Even if you add the 755p viewership its still 160 vs 222, much less.

Maybe I should give that script another run...

Surur
    This is all relative.

I love btw how every negative post on TC and proclamation on the future of Palm comes from POS users, not WM users--quite myopic considering half of Treo sales are now WM.
    Actually in post #16 of this thread I make a prediction on what I believe Palm's direction will be. (And I'm a current WM user).
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    Actually in post #16 of this thread I make a prediction on what I believe Palm's direction will be. (And I'm a current WM user).
    I'll take that bet. I bet in 18 months the iPhone is still around selling well and Palm is selling only Windows based devices (without wi-fi) after abandoning the Palm OS.
    I'll take that bet too.

The 800w will have Wifi and will be out < 5 months on Verizon and Sprint. Palm won't be selling only WM devices.

I'll take that bet too.

The 800w will have Wifi and will be out < 5 months on Verizon and Sprint. Palm won't be selling only WM devices.
    Whoops, I misspoke. There will be Wifi with WM (its just an add-on now). What I meant to say is if there is another release of POS it still won't have Wifi. And yes, I truly believe Palm will abandon POS in the next 18 months and will shift to only WM devices in the future.

Let me tell you why I think this. I think Palm gutted their R & D section of talented employees. I think the real geniuses who started all the inventive stuff moved on. The people left are programmers, but not the types who can be on the next level. I also think they have quite a few people on the inexperienced side. That's why there are delays and that's why the errors with some updates recently.

Over the next year or so upper management is going to realize they need to do something as progress isn't being made. So, they are going to move more into the WM market as they have Microsoft to fall back on for expertise. If there's a big technical problem they have the big boys to fall back on. That's why I think the WM devices are more stable. When there is a problem Microsoft is standing by to help resolve these issue. With the POS the expertise left and there is no fall back guy. In the push to move forward Palm will see that WM is a much better fit for their current makeup and stop putting $ into the POS.

Think about it--if Palm keeps putting out the WM line (800w+, Centro, 500, etc.) how long until most of Palm users are using WM? What's the % of people using Palm WMs versus POS now? I thought I saw that its about 50% for each. Wait another year with the 800w comes out. Will it be about 75% to 25%? At what point do you say we can make more money licensing WM and putting out WM products and have less headaches? Why spend the money developing an entirely new OS when we have something that works right now and sells? What is the advantage we get by doing this?

What does Palm gain by putting out another POS product? Seriously, what do they gain (not the user, but Palm)? The only thing would be just a continuation device for those using the Palm POS now. I think Palm is trying to convert users into WM. The reason is that it is easier for them to put out the WM products. How many WM devices have been put out by Palm versus new POS devices in the last year? How many WM devices are predicted to come out in the next year versus POS devices?

Maybe I don't have a clue, but the answers to a few of these questions seems to lead to Palm dumping POS in the future. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ...if Palm keeps putting out the WM line (800w+, Centro, 500, etc.)
    Centro is a PalmOS device.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    It's definitely seasonal depending on what Palm has released, but overall Treos are definitely a smaller share of the overall smartphone world these days. I don't have firm #'s on traffic in the forums over time, but we're doin' alright, gettin good grades, etc.

As for Phone different and WMExperts siphoning off traffic, that doesn't seem to be happening. Don't forget there's http://forum.smartphoneexperts.com if you want it all - that how I view the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Centro is a PalmOS device.
    You're right, my mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    It's definitely seasonal depending on what Palm has released, but overall Treos are definitely a smaller share of the overall smartphone world these days. I don't have firm #'s on traffic in the forums over time, but we're doin' alright, gettin good grades, etc.

As for Phone different and WMExperts siphoning off traffic, that doesn't seem to be happening. Don't forget there's http://forum.smartphoneexperts.com if you want it all - that how I view the forums.

Why dont you replace the NEW POSTS button with that link, or feature it more prominently. Its only really the hardcore that uses the new post button, and it may spread traffic (and posts) more evenly over the other forums.

Surur
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    It seems most people use TC as a reference tool. If they have a problem they look here for the answer. The POS hasn't changed much over the last several years, even though there have been several "new" phones introduced. Almost everyone can agree these are just the same phone in a new package.

I would venture to guess a majority of the POS owners have been updating phones to the latest model, but these new models still have the same problems a fixes as the the 650's way back when. This may even apply to the Centro too. Still same old Garnet, probably same problems and fixes again.

The only thing with the Centro is it is aimed at a new group of people. So maybe a new group of TC members??

Another problem is there has been very little in the ways of new products released so there is not much to discuss. Whenever there is a Palm leak on a new device you get a flurry of discussion on it but you can only speculate for so long before you beat the subject to death. How long have we been discussing the 800W? Half a year already and yet as Malatesta has speculated it could be anywhere from next week to 5 months more. How much more can you say about it without knowing more about it?

Once the 500 & Centro hit the streets post should go up quite a bit. Lots of new people with questions. Naturally they will not ready the stickies and ask the same question for the hundreth time, but that is what the community is here for.
    Similar to what Eyedeas posted above, I am where I want to be with my 700p. I am not at all interested in replacing it at this time, have all the software/accessories I need, and am not having any difficulties. So, I scan the posts quicker these days, offering my asssistance wherever I can.
    Things will probably pick up after the Centro is released from Sprint, and the 500 released from whomever (at first praise, then *****ing as the bugs pop up). Right now seems like most of the traffic is from 755p owners who's phones are locking up now.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Right now seems like most of the traffic is from 755p owners who's phones are locking up now.
    lol, how you figure?
    755p viewing = 80
    700wx viewing = 220

Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Wow that link is a real eye opener. Check out the # of people viewing Treo related threads compared to the rest of the threads. We seem to be the most prolific grouping of nerds around. I am sure that there are other forums on other sites but out of all the forums I have visited on any subject Treocentral definitely rates high. What are the sites for other smartphones (specifically, not just "All WM phones") that are giving us the run for our money?

BTW, as more non-techies buy smartphones the harder it will be to judge success by posts on these threads. They just won't care to spend their days here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    What are the sites for other smartphones (specifically, not just "All WM phones") that are giving us the run for our money?
    Howard forums?

Surur
    Howard forum is only good for wm phones and tricks to "cheat" the carriers. Their Symbran and POS forums are useless.

Plus its very hard to retrieve old information in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Seems like the amount of new posts here at TreoCentral has slowed down in the last few weeks. ...Is the Palm community dying off?
    Its all part of the near-(Palm)-death happy-joy syndrome discussed in another thread...

First comes the indescribable joy, happiness and peace, that everything is going to be "ok"... with that, an irrational contentment and satisfaction with one's Treo...
    Then comes the self-starvation, loss of appetite, resulting from the joy and peace... leading to a lack of drive to post anything on TC...
    Then will come the hallucinations, that Palm has released the next WM Treo, POSII devices will be seen, that Palm financials are up...
    Treo screens around the world will then seem to get brighter and brighter, and finally fuzz out into a blinding white light, and silence...
    Then the trumpet ringtones will begin blaring and Jeff Hawkins will be seen to beckon the Palm faithful to go into the light...

Personally, I'm at Stage III
    Last edited by neurocutie; 10/10/2007 at 10:37 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast