Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    personally...
    I would like to see 320x320 or even 320x240... the 240x320 wide screens just bug me; not sure why.
    Well, with phones like the iPhone, you just rotate the device to whatever best suits you or that particular orientation. I agree, I like landscape mode the best for most things... it is the way our human vision system is built: much more horizontal range due to binocular field of view, than vertical... which leads to why movies and HDTV, WS, etc are all landscape, 4:3 (TV), 16:9 (HDTV), 2.35:1 (some movies), etc.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Well, with phones like the iPhone, you just rotate the device to whatever best suits you or that particular orientation. I agree, I like landscape mode the best for most things... it is the way our human vision system is built: much more horizontal range due to binocular field of view, than vertical... which leads to why movies and HDTV, WS, etc are all landscape, 4:3 (TV), 16:9 (HDTV), 2.35:1 (some movies), etc.

good point

however, you said you agree with me. I just want to clear up your confusion saying I dislike landscape mode, and would rather have a device with a tall screen than a long one.

This device thats being talked about is a wide screen device
    touchscreen or not? wouldn't appear to be. oh well, why worry about what doesn't exist.

cool design though, i'll give them that.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    touchscreen or not? wouldn't appear to be. oh well, why worry about what doesn't exist.

cool design though, i'll give them that.
    Yes, and with a built-in transparent screen cover.

http://www.irfansyed.com/wp-content/...7/03/opus3.jpg

Surur
    I agree, I like landscape mode the best for most things... it is the way our human vision system is built: much more horizontal range due to binocular field of view, than vertical... which leads to why movies and HDTV, WS, etc are all landscape, 4:3 (TV), 16:9 (HDTV), 2.35:1 (some movies), etc.
    I have to disagree with you here big time.

Landscape is poor for most things except for cinema. The "binocular field of view" doesn't work for things that are 2 feet from your face, like a smartphone. Nor are they good for reading which is why there are no "wide screen" books. This is because for reading it's less (macro) movement for the eye to drop down a line than it is to read a long line left-to-right (think of a type writer action). Apple, I think, even tacitly acknowledges this by not letting you type in landscape (last I checked) but instead reserves that for mostly video and cover flow.

This all begs the question of what you use a smartphone for (besides phone): video or reading information? I would argue that most people use it for reading information e.g. emails, web, etc than video, hence why square or 240x320 is better for most things on these devices. Granted, for video a 320x240 is better than 240x240, but I think a 320x320 square will look just as good for video compared to a 320x240. Plus, for front keyboard devices, square screens can have larger screen sizes than 320x240 (which average at 2.4", where a Treo is 2.6"). Devices like the HTC 6800 or Tilt are nice since they let you choose, yet it can be disconcerting for some to have to read an email at one aspect and then switch to landscape to respond (notice the iPhone avoids this).

Incidentally, the wide screen aspect ratios for cinema (1.85 and 2.39) rose out of competition with TV rather than any argument for binocular vision e.g. it was a gimmick, hence the "wide screen wars" in the 50's and 60's. Granted it works b/c of binocular vision but it's not necessary. You're seeing the same thing now with attempts at digital theater projection (poor, imo) and digital 3-D (which is actually quite amazing)--to compete with home theaters. Today the choice between 1.85 and 2.39 is more stylistic than anything (e.g. Lucas always uses 2.39; Spielberg always 1.85 even for SPR, which was shame) and on average about 30-40% of films releases are still 2.39, even for comedies like "The Heartbreak Kid" which don't really benefit from 2.39, yet are.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have to agree somewhat. I browse in portrait mode with the iphone most of the time and only turning it landscape when a particular paragraph or whatever fits landscape better.

Nice having the option though.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    no... (is there a smirk emoticon?...)

Not sure why one would prefer this device over the coming Samsung i780... even *if* this device does have EDGE(!!!)...
    Go to mobileplanet.com. It has the phone priced at $0.69.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    I have EVERY model of the Treo since the 300. Since Palm stopped innovating years ago, I recently switched to the iPhone. I don't like not having a physical keyboard so I am on the hunt for another Windows mobile device. I ran across this:

http://www.zenum.ch/products.html

http://i.expansys.com/i/b/b149355.jpg

This is where the Treo should be !!!!!

- WM 6.0
    - EDGE
    - 2 megapixel display
    - 128 RAM
    - 2.5 inch touch screen (240x320)
    - Bluetooth and WiFi b/g
    - 4.76 inches tall x 2.59 inches wide x 0.55 inches thick

They are supposed to be out next month.
    Very cool looking phone. No 3G? Hello, it's almost 2008!
  9.    #29  
    Hmmmm . . . I don't really care about 3G that much. I use my phone for e-mail, calendar, tasks. I don't surf the web on it.

I mean come on, how f*cking hard is it to release a refined 750 with WM6, 30% thinner, faster processor, and 320x320? This is a natural refinement for a device that has been out for 1 year. Don't even need Wi-fi.

The Treo form factor is the best - it is just too thick.
    I have been a loyal Palm user for over 10 years now. Most recently I had the 750w and I hated it. Can't stand WM, but what was even more annoying was the fact that 3G ate the battery juice at an exponential rate so I switched back to my Treo 650p.

The iPhone looks cool and the design is nice, however it's a toy and not a true PDA by any stretch of the imagination. This week the BB8820 was released and other than not having a camera on it, it has every feature I want and need. GSM/EDGE/3G and WiFi along with email support for up to 10 accounts. Therefore I am going to jump ship and get a Crackberry. Hard to believe, I never envisioned myself with a BB.
    PDA = Powder Days Always!

Palm History: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Vx, Palm550, Treo 650p (Cingular)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmtnskier View Post
    I have been a loyal Palm user for over 10 years now. Most recently I had the 750w and I hated it. Can't stand WM, but what was even more annoying was the fact that 3G ate the battery juice at an exponential rate so I switched back to my Treo 650p.
    Well, Palm did not make WindowsMobile (though they improved upon it) and 3g radios are always power hungry (even more so on CDMA than GSM). The main reason give by Apple for not having 3g was battery life (they're waiting on newer chips, which will be more efficient).

So I'm not sure how Palm let you down here. Sounds like you just didn't like Windows Mobile on 3g.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12.    #32  
    I second the notion that 3G chews the battery up. I love the Palm OS but you cannot deny the ease of Windows Mobile connecting directly to an Exchange server. It is flawless compared to the hassle of implementing Blackberry or Good.

The fact that WM is the best option out there if you use MS Exchange is a sad reality. Blackberry is far worst, but that just goes to show you that there is still room for a killer solution.

The iPhone is lame as a PDA.

The iPhone looks cool and the design is nice, however it's a toy and not a true PDA by any stretch of the imagination. This week the BB8820 was released and other than not having a camera on it, it has every feature I want and need. GSM/EDGE/3G and WiFi along with email support for up to 10 accounts. Therefore I am going to jump ship and get a Crackberry. Hard to believe, I never envisioned myself with a BB.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

I've been using a Curve on T-Mobile for about a week now (second time around) and I think I may keep it. At least until a new Treo or gPhone comes out. Given that both of them are 12-18 months out I have to switch now. My T650 won't hold out that long. Anyway, the BB is really pretty nice. The email experience is NOT as nice as ChatterEmail on the Treo. I'm also not happy about the prospect of switching to a host Exchange service but if it improves the email experience I'll probably go for it.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    According to Expansys (the site that is selling it) the price is about $1,000.00 which seems a little pricey. I mean you could get 2 1/2 iPhones for the cost of this device!

Check out the pre-order link with video of the prototype:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=149355
    P.S.
    Why wouldn't you just get a UBiQUiO 503G Pocket PC Phone? Which has twice the memory, HSDPA, QVGA (240x320) screen and along with it's 2MP camera it has a second 0.3MP camera for video conferencing. It also has a much more reasonable price.
    The phone has a very cool design - very Apple-esque.
    I agree! its nice but not something I would really want :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    P.S.
    Why wouldn't you just get a UBiQUiO 503G Pocket PC Phone? Which has twice the memory, HSDPA, QVGA (240x320) screen and along with it's 2MP camera it has a second 0.3MP camera for video conferencing. It also has a much more reasonable price.
    Thats exactly what i did. Logn story short i dumped sprint (and sero) for gsm as sprint is filled with way to many retards and my sero bill was screwed up monthly. Ok the real reason.. gsm lets me be the phone ***** i am.

Long story short 750 was nice over the 700wx for size but still too thick and 240x240 was killing, went around the block a bunch of times with HTC device tytnII , etc etc but i can not escape the qwerty candybar form factor. I got a 503g when they first came out but they had some issues with AT&T and a few other things, i followed the news and the forum and finally gave it another shot with the release of new firmware. I must say glad im back. The 503g is what the 750 should have been in my eyes. a nice 252k color 320x240 widescreen, thin, light, and qwerty candybar.

.. Just my 2 cents.
    Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6600 (Sprint) >Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6700 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (sprint) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Motorola Q (Verizon) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > XV6700 (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Treo 700wx > Blackberry 8703e > Dash > HTC 3125 > Treo 700wx > Motorola Q > HTC Hermes 8525 > Blackberry 8800 > Blackberry Curve > Treo 750 > Ubiquio 503g > Iphone > Wing > TyTn II > Q9 Global > Tilt > Ubiquio 503g
  18.    #38  
    Is the 503G touch screen ?

Quote Originally Posted by audiofx81 View Post
    Thats exactly what i did. Logn story short i dumped sprint (and sero) for gsm as sprint is filled with way to many retards and my sero bill was screwed up monthly. Ok the real reason.. gsm lets me be the phone ***** i am.

Long story short 750 was nice over the 700wx for size but still too thick and 240x240 was killing, went around the block a bunch of times with HTC device tytnII , etc etc but i can not escape the qwerty candybar form factor. I got a 503g when they first came out but they had some issues with AT&T and a few other things, i followed the news and the forum and finally gave it another shot with the release of new firmware. I must say glad im back. The 503g is what the 750 should have been in my eyes. a nice 252k color 320x240 widescreen, thin, light, and qwerty candybar.

.. Just my 2 cents.
    Is the 503G touch screen ?
    Yes sir touchscreen full WM6 Professional in widescreen qwerty candybar
    Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6600 (Sprint) >Treo 650 (Sprint) > PPC-6700 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (sprint) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Motorola Q (Verizon) > Treo 700w (Verizon) > XV6700 (Verizon) > Treo 700p (Sprint) > Treo 700wx > Blackberry 8703e > Dash > HTC 3125 > Treo 700wx > Motorola Q > HTC Hermes 8525 > Blackberry 8800 > Blackberry Curve > Treo 750 > Ubiquio 503g > Iphone > Wing > TyTn II > Q9 Global > Tilt > Ubiquio 503g
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12