Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Instead of dwelling on the negativity of Palm's future and the plight of their future, what would a long time Palm user need to do to migrate to another platform? Since I use my Treo for basic functions like email, web browsing, GPS navigation for my car, music player, video player and regular PIM like calender, todo, etc., I don't think of any WM phone that can't do these functions.

    I have over 10 years of applications, contacts, etc. that I would need to migrate over to WM. Is it even worth mentioning Styletap to ease into the new OS?

    I am thinking of the worst case scenerio where if Palm was no longer a viable future platform, I would like a way to continue functioning regardless of OS or platform.
  2. webedc's Avatar
    Posts
    492 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #2  
    Since I use Exchange to store all the contacts and appointments, moving from 650+700p to 700wx and 750 (current unit) was a no brainer to me. OF course there's a learning curve for WM. I'm sure all the tech savvy users have no issues at all.

    I don't have an answer for your porting of 10 yrs of 'apps' from PalmOS to another platform, however. Sorry.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  3. #3  
    Get a WM Treo of course. Its probably the most gentle transition possible.

    Surur
  4. #4  
    To all who are looking for an alternative device. the best thing you can do is go play with a device in the store. Go find someone who has a similar device. Via a website local users group or lots of research. I will highly bet that you will not find a device that does EVERYTHING that you are doing identically right now. You will have to make concessions or trade-offs. If that time comes remember you have a 30 day trial with the device. Use the HELL out of it and if it doesnt work, then go through the hassle of returning it. If you can't find something that works then your alternative is to stick with whatever Treo you have and just tough it out until Palm can release something that works for you as close to 100% as possible.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  5. #5  
    I was with Apple for 8 years as an employee, then 5 more years with my next job I had a Mac. Another job change moved me to Windows and was comfortable in about 2 weeks. A month later, I was fully acclimated. Did the same with the Treo. The 650 was my first PDA. I had it for about a year. Moved to the Moto Q and missed the 650 for about 5 minutes.

    A change can easily be done - just commit and don't look back.
  6. #6  
    Blackberry or maybe the up coming Google phone. I think many Palm users would be disappointed with Win Mobile. Sure it looks pretty, but its buggy and needs constant resets to keep it working right.
    I went from the 700p to the BB 8830 and haven't looked back.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom View Post
    Instead of dwelling on the negativity of Palm's future and the plight of their future, what would a long time Palm user need to do to migrate to another platform? Since I use my Treo for basic functions like email, web browsing, GPS navigation for my car, music player, video player and regular PIM like calender, todo, etc., I don't think of any WM phone that can't do these functions.

    I have over 10 years of applications, contacts, etc. that I would need to migrate over to WM. Is it even worth mentioning Styletap to ease into the new OS?

    I am thinking of the worst case scenerio where if Palm was no longer a viable future platform, I would like a way to continue functioning regardless of OS or platform.

    I came off a steady diet of Treos. 270, 300, 600, 650, and 700P.
    There will be a learning curve. It was about 2 weeks before I liked using WM6 on my Mogul. I find I do not miss my Treo.
    But who knows what the future may hold?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  8. #8  
    Get a Treo 700wx. It's a really nice device. I absolutely love it.
  9. #9  
    I agree with heimlich, I would stronly recommend getting the 700wx. Lots of things already work like a POS Treo so the transition of basic functions is pretty easy.

    There is one tool that will instantly transfer all your contacts from Palm Desktop (if you use that) to outlook, I think it's called PocketCopy.

    Once you customize it to your liking I think you will find it is so much better than any current POS device. I certainly do. It's incredibly stable, fast, and does so many things better that I don't even think about it anymore, it just works great.

    I'm just a little angry I didn't switch earlier.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the great suggestions! If I were to switch in the near future, I would go for the upcoming HTC Touch or hold on to Palm with the Centro. I just did some research on moving my PIM over to WM but it requires alittle more steps on a Mac.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom View Post
    Since I use my Treo for basic functions like email, web browsing, GPS navigation for my car, music player, video player and regular PIM like calender, todo, etc.
    Let me ask a different question. Does your existing P-OS phone fail to do any of these things to your satisfaction? If not, why don't you just keep using it and see what develops in the next year or so?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12. wxboss's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    #12  
    If you were to exit, a WM would probably be your most viable option (although being a Mac user may pose some problems).

    You stated that you have many apps that you've accumulated and use over the past 10 years. I'll tell you that moving to a Blackberry won't give you a lot of options for transferring those apps. A Blackberry is a nice device, but they do have their limitations as do all smartphones. One of them being the lack of compatible apps for the Treo. I have a BB, and I can tell you that while I like it, the Treo is my main phone. There is so much more 3rd party support and functionality that my BB has started gathering dust.

    It's never a bad idea to plan for the future (whatever it may bring), but you'll have to do a little research yourself in order to determine which device may be better suited for you.
  13. #13  
    I just moved to a motorola q9m from a 650. I am not negative about palms future, etc. I think its future and the palm os will succeed. I needed a good contact manager and calendar, which palm is great at, but I needed to be at a lower price point. After half a day with the wm 6 version on the q9 I don't mind it at all. I wish it did some things a bit better. The treo has a better resolution screen. However, the landscape screen makes the q seem larger. I think I am one of the biggest opponents of change, but I did it with no regrets. I guess that what makes my new device exiciting. If I don't like it, in two years maybe a new version of the palm os will be released.
  14. DadMan#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    Blackberry or maybe the up coming Google phone. I think many Palm users would be disappointed with Win Mobile. Sure it looks pretty, but its buggy and needs constant resets to keep it working right.
    I went from the 700p to the BB 8830 and haven't looked back.
    I have to respectfully disagree the Windows Mobile is buggy and needs constant resetting. I'm a long time Palm and Treo user who finally got fed up with Palm and couldn't wait on Verizon to bring out new phones. I switched to the Motorola Q9M which runs Win Mob 6. I LOVE THIS PHONE. No resets, not lags, the bluetooth works everytime.

    I think if you're going to make a switch, don't go to a Palm with Windows Mobile, go with a phone that works!
  15. jcalloway's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DadMan View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree the Windows Mobile is buggy and needs constant resetting. I'm a long time Palm and Treo user who finally got fed up with Palm and couldn't wait on Verizon to bring out new phones. I switched to the Motorola Q9M which runs Win Mob 6. I LOVE THIS PHONE. No resets, not lags, the bluetooth works everytime.

    I think if you're going to make a switch, don't go to a Palm with Windows Mobile, go with a phone that works!
    And I must respectfully disagree with both of you. I use a WM5 Treo 750 everyday. I can't remember the last time that I had to reset. And that's with many 3rd party apps. The transition from a 600 to a 750 wasn't easy. However, it is smooth sailing now.
  16. #16  
    WM Treos seem the best bet for many users, but if more functionality is what is needed, then you'd might as well bite the bullet and run to whatever.

    In my case, I'd only move from a Treo if mine broke and there was a touchscreened N95-3 available. Other than that, everything else would fustrate me to no end.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.

Posting Permissions