Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/03/p...l-end-of-2008/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/palm_os_delay/

"Palm CEO Ed Colligan has confirmed the new Palm OS won't be finished until the end of 2008. Originally scheduled for release by the end of this year, the operating system's launch date has continued to be pushed back, despite the added attention of the engineers freed up by the scrapping of Foleo last month."
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 10/03/2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Add quotes & Link
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Farewell, Palm.

If Palm is in the business of selling WinMob devices, they lose to HTC. HTC is much bigger/faster than Palm. Even if we pretend that Palm has smarter people than HTC (dubious, given the evidence thus far) brains can't supplant momentum, capital, and an apparently agile management philosophy at HTC.

If Palm is selling its own OS devices, well, they're selling old stuff. I smell decaying market share.

And up against non-WinMob OS systems? The iPhone -- my wife has one. It's a toy. But in 18 months maybe it won't be a toy. Symbian? Never tried it. The Nokia E61/E61i looked horrible and felt horrible in-hand.

I'm using a Dash. My unlocked/unbranded 750 is in the drawer, unused. As soon as I can get myself in gear I'm going to sell it here on TC. Cheap.

I have a small business. I swore I'd never do this because it seemed insane. But guess what? We now have a Blackberry Enterprise Server installed in our server room. The Curve is a big hit.

As much as I loved my 650 and the PalmOS, I can't see ever going back to a Palm device. We certainly would not buy them for the business. Blackberry or WinMob devices (depending on personal choice) all the way.
    Buh-bye Palm. You had a great run earlier this decade, but you've proven you don't have the innovative staying power you need to stay in the game.

R.I.P. Palm
    I agree that this is probably the death knell for Palm, unless the 4Q 2008 device is a mind-blowing leap forward for smartphones.

Here's my question. I have been a loyal Palm user for about a decade. I've owned virtually every Treo made and have stayed with Palm/Treo mainly because of all of my 3rd party apps. But will these apps even work on the new platform? Probably not (even though Palm says they will work). So I'd be back to square one (no 3rd party apps). So I'm better off ditching Palm and switching to Windows Mobile, etc. I might wait for the new device -- but it would have to be amazing. Palm had the lead bigtime when it introduced the 600, but it has fallen way behind now. Other devices are smaller, faster, more reliable, better battery life, and cooler looking. Palm has failed.
    Last edited by masonuc; 10/03/2007 at 10:29 AM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Samsung i300 > Samsung i330 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Farewell, Palm.
    You could have stopped there.

I've already left Palm, for a Mogul. I'll admit, I was secretly hoping that they would wow me again in the future. I'd love to come back, for all the reasons that have been covered over and over and over in this forum.

But I just don't see it happening.

Sad, really sad.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

The Folio was the writing on the wall - they had / have absolutely no clue.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    The Folio was the writing on the wall - they had / have absolutely no clue.

Dunc
    Very true. That was a joke. At least they were smart enough to ditch it quickly.

Palm needs to wake up. Fast. All they really need is a 755p with the SAME software, but (1) slimmer (2) less bugs/resets (3) faster (no lag) (4) better battery life and (5) WiFi.

How hard is that?
    Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Samsung i300 > Samsung i330 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p
    Can the company actually willingly knowingly in TODAY'S rapid fast marketplace want to actually fail and loose customers? cause thats what its doing...Can any company actually want that? How is it possible other companies now days are coming out with brand new devices so fast but yet palm cant tweak an exisiting one like the last guy said above me...It just makes NO SENSE that any company would want taht and since they obviously do..i wonder WHY?
    By the time that 08 device is out there will be tons more updated upgraded stuff out and it wont be that much of a WOW factor for nothing...thats a promise...Access is already working on its own release of ALP phone, google is looking to offer an OS like ASAP that everyone will grab and even looking to long term do its own phone..so COMMON palm will this in the works DO SOMETHING or you will pretty much be out of business within two years...
    Bye, Bye ScaryHumor (I can swear I've said that before) bye Tastypeppers, bye Kupe, we're all going to miss you guys.
    By the way, I didn't mention you other guys because you didn't say you were leaving, just constructive criticism.

Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
    All they really need is a 755p with the SAME software, but (1) slimmer (2) less bugs/resets (3) faster (no lag) (4) better battery life and (5) WiFi.

How hard is that?
    1, 3, 4 & 5, quite hard in a short time frame, I'd guess. Without better battery technology or different hardware, both of which will take time to deliver, there's a limit to what can be put in a given volume.

2 however, there's increasingly no excuse for ...as there isn't for you, for not using "fewer"
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I'm sorry... after all the stops and starts on the whole "new platform" at Palm, NOW they tell us it will be almost another 18 months!? Puhlease! I'm in a holding pattern on my 680 for now, but whoever first brings a rational, functional, and kickass Linux-based device is gonna get my next round of pda/phone $$$.

I would kick Palm to the curb for Apple, but as with clueless potential life partners, Apple just doesn't seem to be paying attention to the needs and well-publicized, desperate wishes of it's customers.... open the damn SDK! I could even live with the SIM lock if they'd do that small thing. Just look at the app ecosystem that developed based on a set of hacks! The developers are hot for the device... but instead it just acts coy and slaps them in the face. Do that too long and even someone hot for you will wander away. And at this point, I'd say Apple would deserve desertion.

So after all that, what keeps me from just capitulating and purchasing a WM device? I absolutely positively can't stand that interface. You can dress a pig up, but it's still a pig. Someone please come to the rescue! I've basically decided that lack of a better option is not reason to buy the regurgitated Frakengarnet crap Palm keeps slinging. They either need to get serious about innovating beyond the industrial design or someone really needs to put them out of their misery.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Bye, Bye ScaryHumor (I can swear I've said that before) bye Tastypeppers, bye Kupe, we're all going to miss you guys.
    By the way, I didn't mention you other guys because you didn't say you were leaving, just constructive criticism.

Nice one!!!
    I don't care if people leave or stay....
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    I'm sorry... after all the stops and starts on the whole "new platform" at Palm, NOW they tell us it will be almost another 18 months!? Puhlease! I'm in a holding pattern on my 680 for now, but whoever first brings a rational, functional, and kickass Linux-based device is gonna get my next round of pda/phone $$$.
    Well, given all this delay with nothing to show, it may be that Access ALP will take up the torch and deliver the real nextgen PalmOS products. Palm seems to have the innovative spirit of an old school teacher. Some of the Access ALP materials is looking pretty good to me and they are promising devices sooner than Palm. The question will be whether they'll largely restricted to GSM or not...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...nshots-emerge/
  14.    #14  

I saw the article, and wanted to share. I'm sorry if this offended you. I will leave now.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I saw the article, and wanted to share. I'm sorry if this offended you. I will leave now.
    I was hoping you would see my smiles and not take me so seriously, but seems like you did. Sorry, just a little tired of all the Palm bashing on this board in recent months. I look on this board to get and give advise, not hear how bad my choices are. Don't ever leave, as I do look forward to most of your posts. Just understand how some posts can attack the rest of us on the board. Constructive posts are encouraged as I hope someone from Palm is lurking.
    Last edited by RickMG; 10/03/2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    ... Sorry, just a little tired of all the Palm bashing on this board in recent months. I look on this board to get and give advise, not hear how bad my choices are. ... Constructive posts are encouraged as I hope someone from Palm is lurking.
    I hope nothing said makes you regret your purchase. I actually love the Treo. In my case, the feedback I (and I think many others you'll see here now) is filtered through a multitude of disappointments and serious frustration at Palm's inability to execute. Instead we get round after round of rehashed devices, when there has to be a loud, booming voice from customers regarding what they want from Palm... they just haven't heard, or have chose to ignore it. Either is pretty bad in my book.

So, while on the surface this most-recent about-face that Palm did by axing the Foleo and publicly stating their renewed efforts to complete their "new platform," just remember that the "new platform" has been in the works for several YEARS (one apparently failed attempt after another, though Palm has never actually shared the details of why any of these never resulted in a real product). So, for me, I can't get excited about this latest news... I just can't. And further hearing that they aren't even planning to have it available until the end of next year is further discouragement. What happened to all that time they spent working on the Foleo's OS? Was it all wasted with respect to the smartphone?

So, whatever you see posted... just know that the frustration is directed squarely at Palm.
    shouldnt the title be of 2008 "financial year"?
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
    Very true. That was a joke. At least they were smart enough to ditch it quickly.

Palm needs to wake up. Fast. All they really need is a 755p with the SAME software, but (1) slimmer (2) less bugs/resets (3) faster (no lag) (4) better battery life and (5) WiFi.

How hard is that?
    All these comments are so so correct! Palm has really messed up big time.

The above mentioned device in this thread would do so well; less resets and no lag! Of course an improved UI would be so nice too on a slimmer device; I really do not need the GPS but Wifi would be nice. The competition is going to rough on Palm this coming year; (and they are at fault; resting on their laurels) The device with Alps this next year could prove to be interesting. What if Emblaze (think that is the name) is bought out by Nokia or Motorola; things could really fly. We probably are going to be in for a good year (the user). Palm may have seen better days. All of us love the Palm OS system but we feel so short changed by Palm and their lack of concern to deliver a real smartphone. They could have had our Linux Treo in our hands now but with the mis direction with the Foleo which could soon be in "Webster's" as an alternative definition for "FOOLISH". They really do not give us any details other than the device will be out in late 2008. No specs on what it will do, ect. What does the 500 Treo do that the Q or BJ does not do? The Centro is slimmer 755p with good colors (better looking than we first had thought). How is Palm going to compete against the Multi Touch and other slick devices on the horizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Well, given all this delay with nothing to show, it may be that Access ALP will take up the torch and deliver the real nextgen PalmOS products. Palm seems to have the innovative spirit of an old school teacher. Some of the Access ALP materials is looking pretty good to me and they are promising devices sooner than Palm. The question will be whether they'll largely restricted to GSM or not...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...nshots-emerge/

Hadn't thought about the GSM versus the CDMA; end result Palm would lose the GSM market for their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    shouldnt the title be of 2008 "financial year"?
    Ed specifically said calender year.

Surur
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast