1.    #1  
    i got one thinking i could use it outside of the denver and indy area. WRONG they use GPS to track position of the device. i didnt think about this before purchasing it from sprint. i live outside of the test area so i dont think it is going to work i wish it would cause sprint is horrible at my home address. i have reported many times to sprint opening trouble tickets they said i live in a black hole.. how can i get it to work outside of the denver and indy area?
    300-600-650-700p-755p
    I was under the impression that the GPS tracking worked in any area so long as you have a clear view of the sky. As for the reception, well, your screwed. I've heard folks tell of being able to break their contract if there was no coverage where they moved to, so perhaps this is an angle to explore.
    The Airave is very likely to be here to stay as a Sprint product. Which means that you *should* be able to use it *someday*, hopefully soon. But if Sprint isn't test marketing it in your desired area of usage, then you will have to wait until that time that it is offered. Sprint can't allow these devices to be used just anywhere a customer decides to move it, due to FCC rules and licensing restriction -- it is, afterall, a mini (femto) cell tower...

So I take it, you have no usable Sprint signal outside your house... otherwise the immediate solution is a consumer-grade repeater.
    Quote Originally Posted by glondark View Post
    i got one thinking i could use it outside of the denver and indy area. WRONG they use GPS to track position of the device. i didnt think about this before purchasing it from sprint. i live outside of the test area so i dont think it is going to work i wish it would cause sprint is horrible at my home address. i have reported many times to sprint opening trouble tickets they said i live in a black hole.. how can i get it to work outside of the denver and indy area?

I tried to purchased one too but the sales person indicated it would not work in my location; only for the test regions!
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone hacked one of these to bypass the GPS requirement. Rather than GPS, Sprint should have made the device do a traceroute to determine where it is being used from.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6.    #6  
    that is why they didnt do a traceroute most IP address are not where they say they are located. mine says i am in chicago when i know tha that is far from true. your ip address location depends if your ISP bought it or leased it from another provider.
    300-600-650-700p-755p
  7.    #7  
    i was hopeing they would do a traceroute instead of gps then it would work outside of the test areas. i am not 100% certain they use gps to track the device, but i would beat they are. it is so easy to track the box using gps to its location. i should have thought of that before purchaseing it. i just hope some one hacks it soon to make it work all over the USA. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN SOME ONE CRACKS IT. i looked all over the web yesterday with not luck...
    300-600-650-700p-755p
  8.    #8  
    or how about this...

****ANY SPRINT EMPLOYEE WILLING TO HELP ME USE MY AIRAVE OUTSIDE OF THE TEST AREAS?**********
    300-600-650-700p-755p
    or how about this...

****ANY SPRINT EMPLOYEE WILLING TO HELP ME USE MY AIRAVE OUTSIDE OF THE TEST AREAS?**********

The sooner the better, I plan to get one for both my resdiences in Keene, TX and Pecos, TX. I suppose that test could take 6 - 8 months???
    i just hope some one hacks it soon to make it work all over the USA. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN SOME ONE CRACKS IT...
    ??? Sprint can't allow that to happen... they can't allow the Airave to operate from an unknown location any more than can allow a Sprint phone to operate via an unknown cell tower. If they knew that was occuring with the Airave, they'd have to shut the entire Airave service down.

Did you actually try using your unit ? Because there are some reports of success outside the official test areas... presumably because the database of known areas is probably fairly large...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    ??? Sprint can't allow that to happen... they can't allow the Airave to operate from an unknown location any more than can allow a Sprint phone to operate via an unknown cell tower. If they knew that was occuring with the Airave, they'd have to shut the entire Airave service down.

Did you actually try using your unit ? Because there are some reports of success outside the official test areas... presumably because the database of known areas is probably fairly large...
    Last edited by glondark; 10/01/2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: hit enter on accident
    300-600-650-700p-755p
  12.    #12  
    Yea i have it connected currently this is what the unit is showing
    POWER light - good
    System light - red
    GPS light - good
    WAN light - good

I called sprint yesterday and they said they needed to re-provision the $30 a month billing. They said try it again in 2 hours, again this was from yesterday haha...

I havent seen any reports of other users outside of the test areas have success, that would be nice to know though.

I hope sprint can get this ironed out soon...cause they said I am in a blackhole for coverage.
    300-600-650-700p-755p
    You should probably (if you haven't already) move your Airave queries over to SU http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=140231 as there are many more Sprint experts there, including at least some that have the Airave working...
    i was hopeing they would do a traceroute instead of gps then it would work outside of the test areas. i am not 100% certain they use gps to track the device, but i would beat they are. it is so easy to track the box using gps to its location. i should have thought of that before purchaseing it. i just hope some one hacks it soon to make it work all over the USA. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN SOME ONE CRACKS IT. i looked all over the web yesterday with not luck...
    Let it go, man. This type of behavior does not facilitate good relationships between carriers and their customers. i.e...Don't ruin it for the rest of us!
  15.    #15  
    acousticbiker thank you for your response and like any post you dont have to respond right?
    300-600-650-700p-755p