1.    #1  
    My husband wants a Treo for his birthday present. He seems to think that he would be happy with a 650. I know this is an older phone and he is fine with purchasing used.

He needs to be able to work in Microsoft Word and Excel while out on his job. He would like to be able to make changes to documents there on his Treo. Can he do this on a 650?

I have been looking at the 700wx (we have Sprint). It has the Windows OS so I was thinking it would be easier for him to use the office products on this Treo instead. Is that true?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkilugi View Post
    My husband wants a Treo for his birthday present. He seems to think that he would be happy with a 650. I know this is an older phone and he is fine with purchasing used.

He needs to be able to work in Microsoft Word and Excel while out on his job. He would like to be able to make changes to documents there on his Treo. Can he do this on a 650?

I have been looking at the 700wx (we have Sprint). It has the Windows OS so I was thinking it would be easier for him to use the office products on this Treo instead. Is that true?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Your husband would be able to edit Word and Excel docs using Docs to Go which comes on the Treo. He would be able to do it on the 650 and the 680. I think the Windows OS is a bit more difficult than the Palm OS to navigate, but if he's never used either he may not know the difference. A lot of users have found it hard to switch from the ease of Palm to Windows.

The 650 is a nice device, but it's low on memory which seems to destablize it. The 680 has much more memory and there have been far fewer complaints about it than the other Treos on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Your husband would be able to edit Word and Excel docs using Docs to Go which comes on the Treo. He would be able to do it on the 650 and the 680. I think the Windows OS is a bit more difficult than the Palm OS to navigate, but if he's never used either he may not know the difference. A lot of users have found it hard to switch from the ease of Palm to Windows.

The 650 is a nice device, but it's low on memory which seems to destablize it. The 680 has much more memory and there have been far fewer complaints about it than the other Treos on the market.
    I agree with Christina, I have a 650 that I love, but without a custom rom, memory is an issue with Docs to Go. If he is going to be using it primarily for ms office files I would stick with windows os. However, the 650 IMHO is one of the better treos.
    You should get the 750, instead of the 680. It has broadband speed, and can be upgraded to windows mobile 6.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I agree with Christina
    Well of course you do! How could you not?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    If you want a Palm OS Treo, definitely go with 755. It's only $199 after rebate from Sprint. Document to go works perfectly on 755. If you are willing to wait, the treo 800w will make a great windows mobile device in early 2008 - well I guess you can't postpone the birthday, right.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Hey.......

You said you are on Sprint. So a Treo 680, which is Palm OS on Cingular or the Treo 750 which is Windows Mobile also on Cingular would do you no good on Sprint.

I have a Treo 700p on Sprint which uses a standard size SD card for extra memory storage. You could get the Treo 755p, also on Sprint, but it uses a Mini SD card for extra memory storage. Both the 700p and 755p have more than double internal memory, when compared to the 650.

I also have a Treo 650 on Sprint, It's a good phone, but it is unstable if you don't keep enough free internal memory. I like the 700p much better.

The Treo 700wx on Sprint is a Windows Mobile OS.

As some have said, the Palm OS is more user friendly.

8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkilugi View Post

Thanks
    755P all the way. You won't regret it. I just switched from a 700P to a 755P and it is the best Treo I have ever owned. It is difficult to appreciate the form factor until you have it in your hand and the Palm OS is heads above WM in terms of ease of use.

I played hardball with Sprint and got my 755P for $149. Sprint, more than many carriers, will give you hardware for cheep.

Windows Mobile is NOT easier to use on a mobile device, despite what some might tell you. I am a big windows user and won't touch WM on a smartphone until someone designs an interface that isn't so clutter. Being a windows user does not mean that you will enjoy a WM device. The Palm Treo is so much easier to use.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I agree with Christina, I have a 650 that I love, but without a custom rom, memory is an issue with Docs to Go. If he is going to be using it primarily for ms office files I would stick with windows os. However, the 650 IMHO is one of the better treos.
    Why? Docs to Go works just as good, if not better, than the mobile version of MS Office. Moreover; Chattermail is available only on Palm OS, which is a much better mobile email client than the moble Outlook on WM. Windows Mobile still has a long way to go to compete with POS or RIM (blackberry) in terms of ease of use on a mobile device. This isn't to imply that these interfaces are meant only for those who are not experienced computer users. I am a very experienced user, but I want my smartphone to have a simple, yet powerful interface. WM isn't their yet.

WM is best suited for the user who has a specific need for it (i.e., an app that will only run on WM).
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    I suggest you make a list of your must have functions and applications, go to the Sprint store, try out the phones and see which phone/operating system meets your needs. I've owned both POS and WM devices and didn't have a problem using either one. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. No matter what anyone says it comes down to personal choice. Good Luck!