Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The fact is corporations live longer than humans. Stop complaining about how you don't like Palm's products. We don't want to hear it.

If you don't like thier products then buy someone elses.
    Another fact is that corporations fall when they no longer have a strong customer base.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    The fact is corporations live longer than humans. Stop complaining about how you don't like Palm's products. We don't want to hear it.

Tell you what: we'll keep complaining (I call it "discussing") and you're going to have to hear about it. If you don't want to hear it, go away.

Seriously, what is the point of posts like these? Do you seriously expect people to obey you and stop "complaining" as you call it? Do you want all posts to be titled "my Treo is greeeeat!!!" ?
    Eh, I'm kinda with heimlich here, even if it was a bit harsh, lol.

I mean, I really like my 700wx but I honestly don't really care if Palm "lives or dies". They're just a company who makes phones, no need to attribute emotional value to them or any other company. jmo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Sure Mal, but why do people feel the need to rule over what the people here talk about? I just don't read or comment on threads I feel are stupid, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    Sure Mal, but why do people feel the need to rule over what the people here talk about? I just don't read or comment on threads I feel are stupid, period.
    True.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

Tell that to AMP'D or SunRocket or...

You've totally missed the point of most of these posts and "complaining". I'd guess that 99.5% of the "complainers" don't *want* Palm to die... Its a form of "tough love", but generally the love element is there. Most of us really, really want Palm to succeed, and yes, also feel strongly and emotional about many of the good things that Palm does and once did. If Palm was doing great, then even if we didn't like its current products, yeah there'd be whining but also just moving on. But Palm *does* seem to be dying, and so just to see it all happening before our eyes, its all such a waste and compels one to say something to help save it. Certainly it seems that the Engadget editorial did seem to have an influence over Palm's decisions, so perhaps other positive influences can occur from people that at least at one time did care about Palm and its products...
    LOL drama thread.
    I'm a Bengals fan and had to listen to "bury your head in the sand" fans like you for years. No matter what the team (company) does, except it and stop complaining. No thanks. I'm not a lemming. I'm not following you off the cliff. If I see the cliff ahead, I'm going to warn as many people (and attempt to save them) that will listen.

ET
    Actually, many corporations do die before their founders do - usually taking down everyone involved but the founders along the way. And a corporation can be killed off with the stroke of a pen - leaving its founders to do it all again under a different name.

For those corporations that do survive their founders, they often find themselves on life support sooner rather than later as the 'vision' of what was intended is gone. For those that do continue on, the inevitable diversification that many see as a way to save a corporation often means they are only extending the appearance of life.

Cold comfort I'm sure, but we will outlive Palm. And, quite possibly, GM, Ford, Chrysler and IBM.
    As for Enron.....
  11.    #11  
    I didn't mean it to be harsh. I am just tired of everyone saying that palm is going to die and that palm wont be around anymore. They say how they hate the foleo and they hate the centro. They claim that palm has lost it's edge and that no one will buy their products anymore. The complain about the antennas, the lack of GPS, the lack of wifi and many other things.

Don't you think that Palm knows what to put in their phone? I'm sure they hire some of the top people to research their phones. The market will determine whether they live or die and not the some odd number of your individuals ranting on about what they should or shouldn't do.

If they start to loose a market share they will notice it and they will, most likely, change their direction, that is, if they want to continue to be in business. And more than likely when they change their direction they might alienate a few people on the way in order to pick up a larger segment. It's just business. Money talks and the minority usually don't win.

There are load of other factors that need to be considered and I am sure that Palm is taking all of them into consideration.

Just look at the fact that they put WM on their device. I'm sure they really had to suck their gut up to do that but look what it brouht them.

You as a consumer are probably not going to find all of your favorite pieces of hardware or software in a phone. If you do then go buy it! You'll most likely find a little piece in Apple that you like, a little piece in Blackberry that you like, a little bit in Nokia and hopefully a lot in Palm, of course, that is why you bought it.

Different strokes for different folks people. That's what competition is all about.

Enjoy your phone! Don't try and ruin the experience for the rest of us with your dissatisfaction. If you aren't happy with it sell it and go buy a new one that you do like.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    Actually, many corporations do die before their founders do - usually taking down everyone involved but the founders along the way. And a corporation can be killed off with the stroke of a pen - leaving its founders to do it all again under a different name.

For those corporations that do survive their founders, they often find themselves on life support sooner rather than later as the 'vision' of what was intended is gone. For those that do continue on, the inevitable diversification that many see as a way to save a corporation often means they are only extending the appearance of life.

Cold comfort I'm sure, but we will outlive Palm. And, quite possibly, GM, Ford, Chrysler and IBM.
    As for Enron.....
    I doubt you will outlive IBM or Microsoft. Palm has quite a bit of reserves. Maybe you'll get hit by a bus tomorrow. That would be ironic.
    Don't you think that Palm knows what to put in their phone? I'm sure they hire some of the top people to research their phones.

If they start to loose a market share they will notice it and they will, most likely, change their direction, that is, if they want to continue to be in business. ... It's just business. Money talks and the minority usually don't win.

Maybe you'll get hit by a bus tomorrow. That would be ironic.
    I rather think your last comment is uncalled for... As I tried to portray, I seriously doubt anyone hear means ill for Palm. Instead quite the opposite, I'm sure nearly all of us want Palm to "live long and prosper". Its the rather obvious observation, made by many, not only here but in the press, other forums, and financial analysts, etc, that Palm *is* sinking, that is prompting these posts. Yeah, most will go unheeded and so you could say its all just "sound and fury signifying nothing", but sometimes someone *is* heard...

As far as confidence that Palm *knows* what they are doing and what they are putting into their phones, sorry, at this point, NO, I don't believe that Palm knows what they are doing. The Foleo and its $10mil hit for this coming quarter is just but one easy example. One quickly learns that often "there is no one behind the curtains". "Top experts" including Hawkins, aren't magical, and sometimes they just don't get it...

As far as "starting to loose (sic) their market share", wakeup, Palm *already* has lost a big part of their market share -- and the derivative is perhaps more important than the absolute numbers. Everyone *already* sees this, its been obviously for many months or longer. Palm has already posted warns of losses expected from this quarter. Palm is a SELL, as far as analysts are concerned. Money *does* talk, and the majority is going elsewhere.

We all *hope* that Palm "will notice and 'perhaps' change their direction"... but frankly the writing has been on the wall for *years*. Some of us still hope, though... we hope Palm *will* come around... before we get hit by that bus...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    I rather think your last comment is uncalled for... As I tried to portray, I seriously doubt anyone hear means ill for Palm. Instead quite the opposite, I'm sure nearly all of us want Palm to "live long and prosper". Its the rather obvious observation, made by many, not only here but in the press, other forums, and financial analysts, etc, that Palm *is* sinking, that is prompting these posts. Yeah, most will go unheeded and so you could say its all just "sound and fury signifying nothing", but sometimes someone *is* heard...

As far as confidence that Palm *knows* what they are doing and what they are putting into their phones, sorry, at this point, NO, I don't believe that Palm knows what they are doing. The Foleo and its $10mil hit for this coming quarter is just but one easy example. One quickly learns that often "there is no one behind the curtains". "Top experts" including Hawkins, aren't magical, and sometimes they just don't get it...

As far as "starting to loose (sic) their market share", wakeup, Palm *already* has lost a big part of their market share -- and the derivative is perhaps more important than the absolute numbers. Everyone *already* sees this, its been obviously for many months or longer. Palm has already posted warns of losses expected from this quarter. Palm is a SELL, as far as analysts are concerned. Money *does* talk, and the majority is going elsewhere.

We all *hope* that Palm "will notice and 'perhaps' change their direction"... but frankly the writing has been on the wall for *years*. Some of us still hope, though... we hope Palm *will* come around... before we get hit by that bus...

Statements very correct, I was disappointed today looking at the engineers smiling (I do not know what they are smiling about) We have a smaller 755p.
    and I guess they have reduced or removed the border. Wish someone had cornered Mr. Ed on the Palm Linux. yes the phone looks a lot sexier than the first pictures we saw of the phone 2 months ago but no real progress; no mini usb. My current adaptors will work fine but I am sure this phone has the "infamous treo lag"
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post

*well said*

Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Both sides here have their points, some factual, many emotional, not that that invalidates them. I do wish that all the "Palm is dead posts" were combined. Most posts covering the same subjects when dealing with other topics get merged so we don't have to look at 34 "What's the best email? posts.
    Ok, so Palm won't die (yet). I was a lot ovreboard in my last declaration. Fact of the matter is I am jealous of the greener grass and haven't the slightest clue as to what goes into engineering a device as addictive as a Treo. So, Palm, my apologies. Hoping for something new like most, but I am (mostly) content with where I am. Thanks for this much.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.

LOL. You obviously aren't too tuned in to the world of business, are you? Thousands of companies die every year in this country. Many of them are small, but many are significantly larger than Palm. Heard of American Motors lately? LTV? Braniff Airlines? Pan Am, TWA?

There used to be a couple of dozen motorcycle brands sold in the U.S. Not counting niche makers, there are effectively 8, maybe 9, depending on how you define niche. Back in the 70s you could choose from more than 20 major camera brands from Germany, Japan and the U.S. Now we're down to maybe half that, even including the electronics makers who now sell cameras (Panasonic, Sony, etc.).

It's even worse in the high tech industry. Remember Seattle Software(inventors of DOS)? Maybe Corvus? Osborne? Wang, Univac, Sperry? And whatever happened to the makers of Copy II PC? At one time the best selling software package of all time, now dead and buried. Remember Quarterdeck Software? (No, I didn't think so.) Not long ago there were probably a dozen or more makers of mainstream PCs, now we're down to half that, at best.

With a little more time (which I don't have at the moment), I could list dozens more. Business history if full of companies that came up with a great idea, made a big splash, and then faded away because their big idea was usurped by others, and the originator couldn't come up with anything new. Sounds a lot like Palm.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Don't you think that Palm knows what to put in their phone? I'm sure they hire some of the top people to research their phones.
    Actually, no, I don't. I think Palm is strugling greatly. As their competitors continually update their products with new designs, features, and technologies, Palm continues to tinker around the edges. They've shown me nothing that would indicate they have a clue.

Hire top people? Not likely. Palm's capitalization is tiny compared to most of their competitors. They simply can't afford the kind of R&D budget than Apple, Sony, Nokia, Motorola, et al. have at their disposal.

The market will determine whether they live or die and not the some odd number of your individuals ranting on about what they should or shouldn't do.

If they start to loose a market share they will notice it and they will, most likely, change their direction, that is, if they want to continue to be in business. And more than likely when they change their direction they might alienate a few people on the way in order to pick up a larger segment. It's just business. Money talks and the minority usually don't win.
    Just look at the fact that they put WM on their device. I'm sure they really had to suck their gut up to do that but look what it brouht them.
    They're already losing market share. Big time. And they've shown no indication of being able to successfully change direction. You're assuming management makes smart decisions. That's frequently not true. Owners and managers, just like eveyone else, make decisions for all kinds of reasons. They can get emotionally involved with their designs and products, and refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses. They can focus on a narrow view of reality, while missing the bigger picture. And they can be resource constrained, unable to attract the talent or capital necessary to adapt.

Palm has done nothing since the Treo 600 (which wasn't Palm by the way, it was Handspring) to show they're capable of innovating in ways the market will appreciate. Frankly, I think the last real Palm innovation was the Palm V, which was little more than a color screen and a thinner case on top of an existing product.

Palm's made lots of decisions that were simply bizzare. How much money, time, and effort has Palm wasted selling the OS, and the name, and buying back the name, and the rights to the OS? How much time, money and effort was wasted on the Foleo, at the expense of improvements to their core product?

Their first attempt at a modern OS was a fiasco, which turned out to be unusable. Why are we to assume that the Linux based OS will be any better? Given how long it's taking them to actually build it, I won't be at all surprised to see it still born, too.

I've loved Palm products over the years, but given their history over the last several years, I'm not optomistic for the future.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It's even worse in the high tech industry. Remember Seattle Software(inventors of DOS)? Maybe Corvus? Osborne? Wang, Univac, Sperry? And whatever happened to the makers of Copy II PC? At one time the best selling software package of all time, now dead and buried. Remember Quarterdeck Software? (No, I didn't think so.) Not long ago there were probably a dozen or more makers of mainstream PCs, now we're down to half that, at best.
    Is it bad if I remember all of those? QEMM was a necessity in the DOS days. Also, it would probably be more accurate to say MS-DOS or QDOS for Seattle.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast