Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    I rather think your last comment is uncalled for... As I tried to portray, I seriously doubt anyone hear means ill for Palm. Instead quite the opposite, I'm sure nearly all of us want Palm to "live long and prosper". Its the rather obvious observation, made by many, not only here but in the press, other forums, and financial analysts, etc, that Palm *is* sinking, that is prompting these posts. Yeah, most will go unheeded and so you could say its all just "sound and fury signifying nothing", but sometimes someone *is* heard...

As far as confidence that Palm *knows* what they are doing and what they are putting into their phones, sorry, at this point, NO, I don't believe that Palm knows what they are doing. The Foleo and its $10mil hit for this coming quarter is just but one easy example. One quickly learns that often "there is no one behind the curtains". "Top experts" including Hawkins, aren't magical, and sometimes they just don't get it...

As far as "starting to loose (sic) their market share", wakeup, Palm *already* has lost a big part of their market share -- and the derivative is perhaps more important than the absolute numbers. Everyone *already* sees this, its been obviously for many months or longer. Palm has already posted warns of losses expected from this quarter. Palm is a SELL, as far as analysts are concerned. Money *does* talk, and the majority is going elsewhere.

We all *hope* that Palm "will notice and 'perhaps' change their direction"... but frankly the writing has been on the wall for *years*. Some of us still hope, though... we hope Palm *will* come around... before we get hit by that bus...
    10 million is a drop in the bucket for Palm. Just do the math, take 10 mil and divide it by the number of phones sold. It's not much.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    LOL. You obviously aren't too tuned in to the world of business, are you? Thousands of companies die every year in this country. Many of them are small, but many are significantly larger than Palm. Heard of American Motors lately? LTV? Braniff Airlines? Pan Am, TWA?

There used to be a couple of dozen motorcycle brands sold in the U.S. Not counting niche makers, there are effectively 8, maybe 9, depending on how you define niche. Back in the 70s you could choose from more than 20 major camera brands from Germany, Japan and the U.S. Now we're down to maybe half that, even including the electronics makers who now sell cameras (Panasonic, Sony, etc.).

It's even worse in the high tech industry. Remember Seattle Software(inventors of DOS)? Maybe Corvus? Osborne? Wang, Univac, Sperry? And whatever happened to the makers of Copy II PC? At one time the best selling software package of all time, now dead and buried. Remember Quarterdeck Software? (No, I didn't think so.) Not long ago there were probably a dozen or more makers of mainstream PCs, now we're down to half that, at best.

With a little more time (which I don't have at the moment), I could list dozens more. Business history if full of companies that came up with a great idea, made a big splash, and then faded away because their big idea was usurped by others, and the originator couldn't come up with anything new. Sounds a lot like Palm.
    I wasn't talking about those failed companies now was I? I was referring to Palm. They have been around quite some time and they have a very large amount of cash. That said. They wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

The airline companies you described, they took decades to go away. There were mergers and buyouts as well that kept them aloof.

For all your examples I can give counter examples. The fact is companies come and go and a lot outlive their founders and consumers. If they make a good product they will stay in business. If not they wont.

I'm not too sure what you are trying to say. I agree with what you say. Not sure why you insulted me. I hope it makes you feel better about yourself.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Actually, no, I don't. I think Palm is strugling greatly. As their competitors continually update their products with new designs, features, and technologies, Palm continues to tinker around the edges. They've shown me nothing that would indicate they have a clue.

Hire top people? Not likely. Palm's capitalization is tiny compared to most of their competitors. They simply can't afford the kind of R&D budget than Apple, Sony, Nokia, Motorola, et al. have at their disposal.

They're already losing market share. Big time. And they've shown no indication of being able to successfully change direction. You're assuming management makes smart decisions. That's frequently not true. Owners and managers, just like eveyone else, make decisions for all kinds of reasons. They can get emotionally involved with their designs and products, and refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses. They can focus on a narrow view of reality, while missing the bigger picture. And they can be resource constrained, unable to attract the talent or capital necessary to adapt.

Palm has done nothing since the Treo 600 (which wasn't Palm by the way, it was Handspring) to show they're capable of innovating in ways the market will appreciate. Frankly, I think the last real Palm innovation was the Palm V, which was little more than a color screen and a thinner case on top of an existing product.

Palm's made lots of decisions that were simply bizzare. How much money, time, and effort has Palm wasted selling the OS, and the name, and buying back the name, and the rights to the OS? How much time, money and effort was wasted on the Foleo, at the expense of improvements to their core product?

Their first attempt at a modern OS was a fiasco, which turned out to be unusable. Why are we to assume that the Linux based OS will be any better? Given how long it's taking them to actually build it, I won't be at all surprised to see it still born, too.

I've loved Palm products over the years, but given their history over the last several years, I'm not optomistic for the future.
    They made a massive improvement by allowing WM on their devices.

You're a funny guy. You realize there are problems with everyone's phones?

In your list the only phones I think can even compare to Palm is Apple an Nokia. Nokia is GSM and CDMA is better technology. I know developers and they don't like symbian OS. Windows is much more open as far as I know. Most companies still haven't learned that if they lock down their system people just don't want it.

Apple has the same problem which they will probably never let go of. You can't do anything to their phone without permisson.

Linux isn't hard to put on a phone. The OS is already there and it is only the applications and hardware drivers that need to be written. You can pretty much put Linux on anything that has a CPU and memory to support it.

Sorry bud, your argument just doesn't cut the mustard.

They really don't need talent right now. They just need some drones to implement the design and hardware changes that are already out there and that everyone wants.

The talent that you ask for and that you don't know about you wont see for a few more years.

If you don't think Palm has gone anywhere then maybe it is time to jump ship and move onto a better product. Nokia maybe? I hope you enjoy. You don't sound to happy with Palm so it would probably be best that you move along to some other loving individual.

For all the rest of us who love our devices; there is still another generation for us.

Long live Palm!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Is it bad if I remember all of those? QEMM was a necessity in the DOS days. Also, it would probably be more accurate to say MS-DOS or QDOS for Seattle.
    Yeah it's funny. He's forgotten that MS-DOS is still around.

Tandy, Commodore, Compaq, HP, Dell, Gateway are all still here to in one way or another. Mergers, Aquisitions, and buyouts may have disguised the beast but they are still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Is it bad if I remember all of those? QEMM was a necessity in the DOS days. Also, it would probably be more accurate to say MS-DOS or QDOS for Seattle.

QEMM was so nice with Deskview (QuarterDeck is no longer with us; could be like Palm I guess) I was so surprised that Quarterdeck went under but they failed much as Palm has. all of us want are perfect Palm but they keep leaving us wonting and wanting. What a Shame!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    QEMM was so nice with Deskview (QuarterDeck is no longer with us; could be like Palm I guess) I was so surprised that Quarterdeck went under but they failed much as Palm has. all of us want are perfect Palm but they keep leaving us wonting and wanting. What a Shame!!
    Well, considering that they focused all their development on DOS-based utilities, it wasn't exactly a surprise they wound up getting absorbed by Symantec. Palm may or may not be dead in a few years, but regardless, I'm sure that Palm in three or four years won't look like Palm today.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    Yeah it's funny. He's forgotten that MS-DOS is still around.

Tandy, Commodore, Compaq, HP, Dell, Gateway are all still here to in one way or another. Mergers, Aquisitions, and buyouts may have disguised the beast but they are still there.
    Maybe, but Packard Bell isn't.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Let us not forget IBM.

The fact remains that innovation is what propels companies today (you can't just rest on your laurels anymore - consumers won't stand for it too long especially in a technology driven market).

I've always loved Palm - still do, but they have to start bringing something new and fresh to the market place in order to survive and keep thriving.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The Treo product itself might die before the company turn around with another product. Look at what happened with Apple Newton. And now Apple is doing so great with ipods and iphones. I would like to see Palm come out with new and cool products. That will be the only way to make people stop complaining and it will certainly help keep people discussing more.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    The Treo product itself might die before the company turn around with another product. Look at what happened with Apple Newton. And now Apple is doing so great with ipods and iphones. I would like to see Palm come out with new and cool products. That will be the only way to make people stop complaining and it will certainly help keep people discussing more.
    People will still complain. There are more and more people today with less and less manners. Just look around on the streets and at your work.

At least, it seems, people are still being taught to chew with their mouth closed. Thank G-d.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12