1.    #1  
    My rule from the late 80's to early 90's has always been "Do not use the email address provided by or ISP (now wireless carrier too) as your primary email account."

Each Intenet Service Provider (ISP) and Wireless carrier typically provide a certain number of email addresses with the monthly costs of service.

Do you use your home ISP's email address (i.e.Comcast) or Wireless carrier' email address (i.e. Sprint) as your primary email address for communications with friends, family and business associates?

Meaning when you need to send an important email, do you use the above address to do it?

When you need to receive an important email, do you give out the above address?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I've had a Yahoo! account for many years, and recently added a GMail account. I've been using my GMail account most often lately when the need to give out an email address arises.
    Since I often look for good deals (which may mean switching providers), having an account that isn't associated with my ISP means less confusion to everyone else when I do make a switch since they won't have to update my email address every time .
    Gmail all the way. It's the best out there, IMO. I use the local isp for outgoing, though.
    My own domain all the way. That way I do not have to rely on my provider or a web site.

Surur
    I use my ISP's account, however, the majority of my mail is work-related on my work account. Of course, I also have gmail, hotmail, etc.

BTW, nice website you have, Carl.
    Anything work-related I use work's ISP, anything personal goes through gmail. The only personal use for work's ISP is emailing my wife, since we both work at the same place and use Chatter combined with our work IMAP accounts. It's an easy way to stay in touch throughout the day.
    Vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    My own domain all the way. That way I do not have to rely on my provider or a web site.

Surur

ditto.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I quit using Sprint a couple of weeks after I got my 600. I use the SMTP of those services I subscribe to, GMail, Fastmail and ChatterEmail/Everyone.Net.

Ben
    After working for an ISP years ago, I registered my own domain and have never looked back. My email address will stay the same regardless of my carrier or ISP.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Me too.

...I was going to reply "AOL", but then I realised it would be highly ambiguous in this context!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...

Surur

Ditto.

That way as I switch carriers, etc. my email stays the same. Right now I have the MX records pointing to 4smartphone.net as I use them rather than run my own exchange server. I also use a gmail account for most forums and online stuff to keep the spam down on my primary account.
    In order of priority:
    1) my own domain, with my own servers
    2) my work email address
    3) free webmail addresses (hotmail, yahoo, gmail)

totally don't use ISP email, wireless email.
    so the answer is none of the above...
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    In order of priority:
    1) my own domain, with my own servers
    2) my work email address
    3) free webmail addresses (hotmail, yahoo, gmail)

totally don't use ISP email, wireless email.
    so the answer is none of the above...
    I use my own domain and server. Totally the way to go. Anyone can set one up in a couple hours with a very easy to install Linux distro designed for this purpose, located here: www.contribs.org.

No Linux knowledge needed as everythign is configured via a web interface. All you need is a broadband connection.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I use my own domain and server. Totally the way to go. Anyone can set one up in a couple hours with a very easy to install Linux distro designed for this purpose, located here: www.contribs.org.

No Linux knowledge needed as everythign is configured via a web interface. All you need is a broadband connection.
    I bascically use two gmail address; one from hotmail and one from yahoo.com. I use only on a rare occassion the BB address provided by Sprint.
    I use my ISP as a primary email account.
    I have a gmail account as back up. (never really use it)
    Of course I use Sprint's outgoing SMPT for use with my SnapperMail.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I use a Yahoo! account for any registration requested of sites, software or to companies I will have limited contact with - my ISP's email for personal mail and vetted business contacts.

Oh, and a series of filters (both on Yahoo and in Vista Mail) to whittle away the unsolicited into ether-hell......
    I've recently started using a pay Yahoo account, which allows me a number of different but linked email addys that I can use for web ordering; all show up in my inbox. If I start getting excessive spam on one of those I just delete it. Works well so far. And of course, this allows me to access yahoo through Chatter as well.