1.    #1  
    After Palm gave in to Windows Mobile, the downfall began. Palm concentrated too much on the cheap operating system and disappointed a lot of real palm users.
    As a result, quite a lot of Palm users were forcibly moved to Windows Mobile whilst the remaining hopefull and stubborn users of what used to be the best handheld operating system are left hanging.
    I hope Palm realizes it.
    The Foleo? Lets forget it (but it is one hell of a mystery)

yours,
    one of the few that still havent given up hope and hope not to keep on feeling sorry for palm

p.s. i am suffering as well
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    After Palm gave in to Windows Mobile, the downfall began. Palm concentrated too much on the cheap operating system and disappointed a lot of real palm users.
    As a result, quite a lot of Palm users were forcibly moved to Windows Mobile whilst the remaining hopefull and stubborn users of what used to be the best handheld operating system are left hanging.
    I hope Palm realizes it.

yours,
    one of the few that still havent given up hope and hope not to keep on feeling sorry for palm

Whoa.... It's only a phone!

-Frank
    I hope Palm realizes it.

yours,

We all make our posts because we want the Palm of Old to produce the best handheld device out there but they have failed us. There is so much mis direction, Ed Hardy has posted a way out for Palm, I still want to have my slim handheld device but when??
    I hope Palm realizes it.
    Its funny how people always blame WM, when that obviously was a symptom of the problems Palm was having with PalmOS. They would not have needed to go WM is everything was hunky dory with PalmOS.

About the only argument one could make is that Palm took the easy way out by going WM, instead of being more urgent about fixing PalmOS.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its funny how people always blame WM, when that obviously was a symptom of the problems Palm was having with PalmOS. They would not have needed to go WM is everything was hunky dory with PalmOS.

About the only argument one could make is that Palm took the easy way out by going WM, instead of being more urgent about fixing PalmOS.
    That is exactly right... And now it is going to be an uphill battle. But for YEARS PalmOS was on top with the most 3rd apps, the most OEMs and the most market and mindshare. Remember WinCE 1.0 and 2.1 and even 3.0, the forerunners of WM ? Palm was killing WinCE and PPC in the marketplace. But the thing about MS is that they have the resources and drive to just try and try again, so one cannot afford to be complacent and make too many mistakes, which unfortunately Palm has done (and it looks like Sony now has done too). Palm was very stupid to treat PalmOS as a separate, undervalued business and allow it out of their control, and very stupid for turning off what OEMs it had (particularly Samsung and Kyocera).

But even now there is, I believe, still a window (pun intended) of opportunity, because despite the growing dominance of WM, it is still a truly pretty crappy OS and UI. And the Palm UI still has merit/value. I hope that Palm can "execute" on that and soon, because it is pretty much the only really value it has left.
    Palm for whatever the reason--but likely the dot com bubble burst seemed to abandon their OS and stop innovating or improving.

I am no tech, but I have heard that it can't multi-task and is incapable of UMTS/HSDPA which can do simultaneous voice and data. Is this because voice and data is also multi tasking?

They had their IPO then they sold off the OS and now they have it back I think.

IMO Apple's mistake with the Mac was they never licensed their OS to other manufacturers until it was too late. Very few ever argued that Windows (especially their early editions) were as good an OS as the Mac's but as Apple's market share decreased rapidly software companies were foolish to focus on the Mac.

Palm eventually had no choice but to embrace Windows which they realized would help them to sell hardware. They were (and still are) dealing with a largely unchanged OS for several years. I think they made the right move based on the hole they were in.

When/if they release their Linux based OS and if it is good--which I expect it will be, I will probably migrate over to it, and I bet most users here will too, but it could be too late by then.

Yes Apple made a huge resurgence but it was with the ipod primarily--how many businesses now have a Mac sitting in their offices unless it is for a specialized use?

Too bad for Palm and the rest of us.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    The kernel of the Palm OS is designed to multi-task; however, under the original licensing agreement, that ability was not option.

Ben
    I am one that hasn't given up either. I want to see a thin treo bearing a new POS. I have nothing against WM and I have used it and with some time would not have a problem converting but I like the way POS's UI so much better. Inspite lacking multitasking capabilities, I like the way POS feels, handles and looks...I see enough of anything Windows based in life, at work and at home, I don't have the desire to have to deal with Gates on my device also. I will admit, if I had to convert I will go to WM...but I am going to be stubborn to the end. I have a feeling that end is coming.
    at&t iPhone3G
  9.    #9  
    for me , the treo 650 (i am from germany and the 680 is no betterment) lives on.

PALM i'd like you to understand the power of real PALM. you got us addicted to it, AND WE WANT MORE.

a die hard faithful fool