Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I need help. I have had a 650 since it came out, and it's on its last legs. Are there any alternatives worthy of replacing my 650. The 700 series is just an incremental jump and not worth the cash, in my opinion. I need to be able to use a fully functional office suite, not just view attachments. It must have WI-FI! I'm not opposed to switching to WM. Should I jump ship, and to what phone, or wait to see if Palm can pull their head out of their a#*.
    Appears that you are on verizon. Hang on as long as you can for the 755p. The utc 6800 is coming as well. Wi-Fi is not a palm issue. It is a carrier issue. I think carriers would lose money if wifi was used in lieu of their data plans. I currently use a 650 and love it. If it dies, and the 755p is not out, then I am going to get a refurbed 650. Its such a solid device, and does everything the newer ones do, with less memory and slower data speeds as well.
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Appears that you are on verizon. Hang on as long as you can for the 755p. The utc 6800 is coming as well. Wi-Fi is not a palm issue. It is a carrier issue. I think carriers would lose money if wifi was used in lieu of their data plans. I currently use a 650 and love it. If it dies, and the 755p is not out, then I am going to get a refurbed 650. Its such a solid device, and does everything the newer ones do, with less memory and slower data speeds as well.
    Given the release of a fix to the Verizon "Error 3000" data connection issue today, I suspect the 755P will be out fairly soon. Verizon had a very good reason to hold back on releasing this Treo until they fixed the 700P issue (i.e., They'd have to give away countless 755Ps to 700P users)

Rumor has it that the 755P won't be out on Verizon until sometime in November. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see it out much sooner.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Just curious, you say you must have wifi but that is not a feature of the 650 so I assume you have a card? If so then you probably need to stay on POS so wait for the 755P I guess.

Personally, I crossed over to the dark side and went with a 750 and think it is a clear winner. Took some getting used to but I haven't looked back.

*Faster data (UMTS/HSDPA--not on Verizon though, must be GSM)
    *Multi tasking
    *Simultaneous voice and data (you can get emails while on a long call)
    stronger liklihood of 3rd party apps in the future as POS appears to be going the way of the betamax
    *No need for dataviz to work with Excel, Word, Power Point or PDF's.

755 will have none of these features but will have the integrated antenna and better form factor.

Downsize is lower resolution on the 750 (240x240vs.320x320) but I don't notice because I believe the GUI is better and clear type fonts look great.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ I've also been test driving the Treo 750 this last week, and I agree, it's a clear winner.

I didn't think I could get used to WM, but it's really not that bad. I thought the transition would be much more rough coming from 5 years with the Palm OS.
    No word on the 755p but the 6800 demo is in my local store and is nice and light, with wm6
    A TX and an inexpensive 'real' cell phone?

Get a bigger screen, more onboard memory, wi-fi and a far better phone.

Really nothing out there (nor on the horizon) from Palm in the way of a smartphone worthy of replacing anything you've got now, while the alternatives all require a leap of faith (and a learning curve) to swap OSs, with none of them really offering the quintessential device.
    I agree. Maybe I will go back to two devices. I still cannot believe that I can get a BB or Q for 1/3 the price of a treo on Verizon's network.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i would think that if you purchased a unlimited data plan they would want you to have wifi so it would cut down on their bandwidth useage
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    A TX and an inexpensive 'real' cell phone?

Get a bigger screen, more onboard memory, wi-fi and a far better phone.

Further -

Where I am, Staples has the TX at a slightly discounted rate and which includes the Universal Wireless Keyboard. Put the TX into landscape mode and use the UWK and you really will have a Palm device as capable of "fully functional office suite" as they can get, without the frustration (or pain) of a thumboard and significantly smaller screen of the Treo. Ditto too the advantage of using the screen for the internet - as connected via wi-fi.

(Heck, if Palm had stuck a wireless radio into the body of the TX at the beginning of 2006 - call it the 620 - they could have had quite the device. Still challenged as a smartphone, but a vast improvement over what they left us with. And a year before an iPhone. But I digress)

Meanwhile, a SIM Card has the capability of about 250 contacts - so copy your nearest and dearest over on your Treo and swap the Card over to a 'real' cell phone.

Treos (and smartphones in general) are truly A Jack of All Trades, Master of None and I'm not sure the 'almost' capabilities of them warrant the devotion from users that they seem to seek. All-in-one devices only engender but one place to pool your frustrations. Sure they may look cool and their promises are tempting, but in the final examination, is the device working for you or are you having to change the way you do things to accommodate it?