Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/
    Verizon adopts GSM standard for 4G network, CDMA limelight fading?
    Posted by Joshua Karp on Sep 21, 2007 8:15 am 13 comments Filed in Vodafone, WiMax, News, GSM, Verizon, CDMA, Sprint-Nextel

Could this be the end of the road for CDMA? Both Verizon and Vodafone have announced that they will be running their 4th generation data networks on LTE, which is the GSM Associationís 4G protocol. The specifics of LTE, which stands for Long Term Evolution, have yet to be fully solidified, but one thing is certain. Thereís not a bit of CDMA compatibility in sight. This bit of news, coupled with Sprintís recent adoption of WiMax in lieu of EV-DO Rev. C leads one to believe that, well, CDMA could finally be on its way out the door. The lack of global interoperability, lack of SIM card provisioning, and much more means that this departure is a welcome one, to say the least. That said, we wouldnít shut the books on CDMA just yet. There are no immediate plans to begin LTE network rollout, so the switch, if it does come, wonít arrive for quite a while. We can hardly wait.
    I don't think Verizon will ever switch to GSM. I personally think that CDMA has better call quality.
    Call me when battery tech and software actually makes fruitful use out of this speed. Right now, carriers have enough trouble pitching 3G "services" to users to pay for the build out of those networks. Accounting for history, I see nothing different changing in that respect.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    You can rest assure no matter what technology Verizon use in the future, they will only activate Verizon sold phones.
    A SIM card means never having to worry about activation.

Surur
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    SIM card IS supported by CDMA technology. My buddies at Qualcomm confirmed that. However, neither Sprint nor Verizon wants to adopt the technology for obvious reasons. In fact, CDMA carriers in China use the SIM card.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607