Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #1  
    It just hit me that Palm OS Treos feel alot like a dead or poorly maintained software project. You know the kind of project I'm talking about. You find a piece of software that looks like it will fit your needs. You download it and it seems to work OK; but then you notice that it hasn't been updated in MONTHS or YEARS, the forums have next to no traffic, and the software is starting to show some age. POS really feels like that doesn't it? WM and RIM devices seem to get regular updates, new models on a frequent basis, etc, etc. Not us Palm OS users.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    WM and RIM devices seem to get regular updates, new models on a frequent basis, etc, etc. Not us Palm OS users.
    The Blackberry PIM apps look like they haven't been updated in years though. Never tried WM, never liked what I have heard about it.
  3. #3  
    There are applications in all of the OSs like that. There are even applications in the Palm OS that are updated constantly and it does not take a lot of time to look around. Bunches are kept current and modifications made to meet the needs of the community.

    Ben
  4. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There are applications in all of the OSs like that. There are even applications in the Palm OS that are updated constantly and it does not take a lot of time to look around. Bunches are kept current and modifications made to meet the needs of the community.

    Ben
    Ben, please tell me which app in Garnet is updated constantly and how you, or anyone else, are getting these updates?

    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $no$ $one$ $in$ $the$ $community$ $is$ $getting$ $updates$. $Well$, $I$ $guess$ $the$ $700P$ $users$ $got$ $an$ $update$, $but$ $we$ $all$ $know$ $how$ $that$ $turned$ $out$.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  5. #5  
    TakePhone, 2Day, 4Cast and bunches more at SHSH.COM. Datebook6 at Pimlicosoftware.com, www.hobbyistsoftware.com, www.northglide.com, www.gotreosoftware.com, www.toysoft.ca, www.dataviz.com. Only touches the surface.

    I think though that I misread your post. You are speaking of the OS itself. The 600/650 is no longer being manufactured, so why change them. Updates were made to those when they were being produced. The 700P update went ok on mine, required 2 developers to make some changes.

    Ben
  6. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    TakePhone, 2Day, 4Cast and bunches more at SHSH.COM. Datebook6 at Pimlicosoftware.com, www.hobbyistsoftware.com, www.northglide.com, www.gotreosoftware.com, www.toysoft.ca, www.dataviz.com. Only touches the surface.

    I think though that I misread your post. You are speaking of the OS itself. The 600/650 is no longer being manufactured, so why change them. Updates were made to those when they were being produced. The 700P update went ok on mine, required 2 developers to make some changes.

    Ben
    The 700P MR installed with no problems on my Treo as well. However, the MR introduced several new bugs. That funny tone that seems to sound almost at random, even when you shut the ringer off, doesn't annoy you???

    Many are suffering from the infamous Error 3000 bug, which is why Palm pulled the Verizon MR from their site. Now there are countless 700P users who are suffering serious data connectivity issues. We all paid a premium for our devices and for the enhanced smartphone data service. To not be able to use this service due to a bug is inexcusable. Palm should be working around the clock to fix this, but instead there isn't even an official statement that they will fix it, only speculation and rumor.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  7. #7  
    ~Q~:

    Agree with you just a tad over 1000%. We paid a hefty price for these devices and we expect them to work the way that we want them to. And yes, while other phones gets updates the PalmOS just sits there and sits there and sits there. I think action just speaks way louder than words when there are moer WinMo devices coming out and they get all the updates while us step-children gets crumbs and crackers.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    The 700P MR installed with no problems on my Treo as well. However, the MR introduced several new bugs. That funny tone that seems to sound almost at random, even when you shut the ringer off, doesn't annoy you???

    Many are suffering from the infamous Error 3000 bug, which is why Palm pulled the Verizon MR from their site. Now there are countless 700P users who are suffering serious data connectivity issues. We all paid a premium for our devices and for the enhanced smartphone data service. To not be able to use this service due to a bug is inexcusable. Palm should be working around the clock to fix this, but instead there isn't even an official statement that they will fix it, only speculation and rumor.
    Yep, that's the reason I haven't installed the update on my wife's 700p.

    The update landed me a free 755 though, so it's not all bad (although I had to buy a new miniSD card for it...darn form factor changes).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  9. #9  
    The noise actually does not bother me. As for new bugs, not a single MR has ever correct all of the bugs (having done them since the 600 days) and yes, new bugs happen as old bugs are put to pasture. Palm has its problems, they all have their problems. Even the perfect iPhone has its problems. So again, the noise does not bother me.

    As for those Verizon users who have the connectivity problem, why suffer with it, take it up with Verizon. Bunches took it up with Sprint and Palm and got replacements. Why cry when steps can be taken to remedy it.

    As for the Sprint MR update, I went through it and saw nothing good out of it. I saw a software interaction problem between two software applications I use and I hear the noise. The software problem taken care of and the noise, well, there are other issues in my life much more important than an occasional noise.

    Ben

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    The 700P MR installed with no problems on my Treo as well. However, the MR introduced several new bugs. That funny tone that seems to sound almost at random, even when you shut the ringer off, doesn't annoy you???

    Many are suffering from the infamous Error 3000 bug, which is why Palm pulled the Verizon MR from their site. Now there are countless 700P users who are suffering serious data connectivity issues. We all paid a premium for our devices and for the enhanced smartphone data service. To not be able to use this service due to a bug is inexcusable. Palm should be working around the clock to fix this, but instead there isn't even an official statement that they will fix it, only speculation and rumor.
  10. #10  
    Just picked up a Samsung Blackjack, and now I have a 650, 680 and a Blackjack.

    I have to say that the Blackjack is suprisingly good with the scroll wheel, and VERY stable OS, not to mention HTML emails on Flexmail.

    However, there is no way that I would completely replace my 650 even, for the Blackjack permanetly.

    The Treo just offers simplicity, speed, and 3rd party apps. You will not know PALM OS's good qualities until you use some other phone.

    I've tried the Nokia E61, Cingular 8525, Blackjack, so basically I've tried Symbian, WM5 PPC, WM5 Smartphone, Palm OS. Palm OS is still the best as a PDA, at least. Well, the Treo is still my most used phone.

    Honestly, if Palm updates the Camera, and give me HTML emails, and let me have 3G on GSM, then it would be my PERFECT phone.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    Just picked up a Samsung Blackjack, and now I have a 650, 680 and a Blackjack.

    I have to say that the Blackjack is suprisingly good with the scroll wheel, and VERY stable OS, not to mention HTML emails on Flexmail.

    However, there is no way that I would completely replace my 650 even, for the Blackjack permanetly.

    The Treo just offers simplicity, speed, and 3rd party apps. You will not know PALM OS's good qualities until you use some other phone.

    I've tried the Nokia E61, Cingular 8525, Blackjack, so basically I've tried Symbian, WM5 PPC, WM5 Smartphone, Palm OS. Palm OS is still the best as a PDA, at least. Well, the Treo is still my most used phone.

    Honestly, if Palm updates the Camera, and give me HTML emails, and let me have 3G on GSM, then it would be my PERFECT phone.
    Why not try a Treo 750? You get the strength of WM, 3g, the tweaks and form factor of Palm? Plus if AT&T gets their act together, you'll get WM6 (HTML emails) too...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Why not try a Treo 750? You get the strength of WM, 3g, the tweaks and form factor of Palm? Plus if AT&T gets their act together, you'll get WM6 (HTML emails) too...
    Because the reason he still has a Treo is he likes the Palm OS UI and Apps.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Because the reason he still has a Treo is he likes the Palm OS UI and Apps.
    (a) Wasn't speaking to you
    (b) You don't speak for him
    (c) He doesn't seemed appalled by WM
    (d) If he's trying other devices/OS, the WM Treo is the closest replacement for his...wait for it...Palms OS Treo
    (e) He gets 3g, HTML email, & stability which seem to be important factors for him that POS can't deliver
    (f) I was just curious as to why he hasn't gone that route, which I'm sure he thought of already...


    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    (a) Wasn't speaking to you
    (b) You don't speak for him
    (c) He doesn't seemed appalled by WM
    (d) If he's trying other devices/OS, the WM Treo is the closest replacement for his...wait for it...Palms OS Treo
    (e) He gets 3g, HTML email, & stability which seem to be important factors for him that POS can't deliver
    (f) I was just curious as to why he hasn't gone that route, which I'm sure he thought of already...


    He said in his post:

    "The Treo just offers simplicity, speed, and 3rd party apps. You will not know PALM OS's good qualities until you use some other phone.

    I've tried the Nokia E61, Cingular 8525, Blackjack, so basically I've tried Symbian, WM5 PPC, WM5 Smartphone, Palm OS. Palm OS is still the best as a PDA, at least. Well, the Treo is still my most used phone."

    He seems to be quite clear that he sticks with his Treo because he likes Palm OS.
  15. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    As for those Verizon users who have the connectivity problem, why suffer with it, take it up with Verizon. Bunches took it up with Sprint and Palm and got replacements. Why cry when steps can be taken to remedy it.
    I've personally spent more time on the phone with Verizon than I care to admit. Have a look in the 700P forum and you'll see that I'm not the only one. This thread has the better part of 400 posts, detailing many peoples experiences trying to get somethind done with Verizon. Verizon will gladly sent you a replacement 700P that will show up with the exact same connectively issue. Sure, I could demand a BB 8830 and would probably get it, but I don't want a 8830. Bottom line is there is not way around this and no fix, period. Verizon has a solution, but they refuse to deploy it. They have the 755P, but rumor has it that they won't release it until Palm fixes the 700P connectivity issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    As for the Sprint MR update, I went through it and saw nothing good out of it. I saw a software interaction problem between two software applications I use and I hear the noise. The software problem taken care of and the noise, well, there are other issues in my life much more important than an occasional noise.
    Ben
    I'm not sure what you are getting at Ben. Are you fixed a few things in your ROM? Your statement here doesn't make alot of sense.

    As for the tone that goes off on occasion, I was only using that as an example. If that were the only side-effect of the MR, I wouldn't care. However, there are several others. Once again, this connectivity issue on Verizon is inexcusable. Verizon needs to pull out all of the stops to get this fixed, yet it doesn't seem they are doing this.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  16. #16  
    I've thought about 750 yes, but I really would just like to stick with WM5 Smartphone, which from my experience is more stable and easier to use than PPC.

    I like the Palm OS, but I feel the need for a "2nd" phone for the technology, or hardware, like 3G, better camera, form factor.

    Honestly, having both the Palm Treos, and WM5 Smartphone Blackjack, I feel like I don't need anything else currently. Blackjack has the things the Palm OS Treo doesn't have, and vice versa.

    If I had to pick one to stick with though, it would have to be the Palm OS Treo just because it's so simple, efficient, and sooo many "USEFUL" 3rd party apps.
  17. airibis's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #17  
    Being a graphic designer the interface sometimes makes or breaks a product for me.



    personally POS looks as if it is ripe out of the 90's


    While every other device and os seems to be updating with the times, POS seemed to have gotten lost along the way.



    Now before getting flamed by a slew of POS fanatics, let me say that this is my own personal opinion.


    And to cut off your argument before you even say it, YES i CAN judge an OS based off of its graphic interface
  18. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    Being a graphic designer the interface sometimes makes or breaks a product for me.

    personally POS looks as if it is ripe out of the 90's

    While every other device and os seems to be updating with the times, POS seemed to have gotten lost along the way.

    Now before getting flamed by a slew of POS fanatics, let me say that this is my own personal opinion.

    And to cut off your argument before you even say it, YES i CAN judge an OS based off of its graphic interface
    Have a look at Blackberry PIM apps, the BB browser, or the BB email client then lets talk. The BB email app, for example, reminds me alot of Pine, an old Unix terminal email client.

    POS certainly isn't the flashiest on the block, but it isn't the worst out there either.

    When you say you can judge an OS based of the GUI, what do you mean by judge? If you mean you can judge how reliable it is, I would challenge this statement. Log into the Bash shell on a Linux terminal. The graphic interface here is flat lousy, but the underlying OS is one of the most stable and reliable on the planet.

    The Palm UI is actually one of the easiest and most functional of all of the PDA interfaces out there. It may not have the eye candy of WM, but it makes up for it in its ease of use. POS definately could use a facelift to give it more flash and the eye candy that appeals to alot of users, but the UI as it stands now is extremely powerful.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  19. airibis's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Have a look at Blackberry PIM apps, the BB browser, or the BB email client then lets talk. The BB email app, for example, reminds me alot of Pine, an old Unix terminal email client.

    POS certainly isn't the flashiest on the block, but it isn't the worst out there either.

    When you say you can judge an OS based of the GUI, what do you mean by judge? If you mean you can judge how reliable it is, I would challenge this statement. Log into the Bash shell on a Linux terminal. The graphic interface here is flat lousy, but the underlying OS is one of the most stable and reliable on the planet.
    By "judge" I mean "my judgment to own the product"


    of course stats are very important to me, and that is one of the main factors in buying a product.


    But when faced with 2 products with similar stats, ofcourse I would go for the one with a better looking GUI.

    which prevented me from ever owning a POS product.

    I may give them another look when this new OS comes out; but for now it's a turn off.





    BB devices remind me more of a standard cellphone to be honest with you. I wouldn't say this is better or worse than the POS, they both have positives and negatives that go against each other.



    as for me, the completely customizable Windows Mobile is the way to go.

    I have complete and total control to modify every single aspect of the os to my liking, and create a personal interface from the ground up.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    (a) Wasn't speaking to you
    (b) You don't speak for him
    (c) He doesn't seemed appalled by WM
    (d) If he's trying other devices/OS, the WM Treo is the closest replacement for his...wait for it...Palms OS Treo
    (e) He gets 3g, HTML email, & stability which seem to be important factors for him that POS can't deliver
    (f) I was just curious as to why he hasn't gone that route, which I'm sure he thought of already...

    Wow.. He doesn't speak for him, but obviously you do. Way to be uber arrogant.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions