Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1.    #1  
    just went to www.Palminfocenter.com and the top two articles are about Palm One with a 36% decrease in earnings with the corresponding drop in the number of Treo Smartphones being sold.

    Also, Palm's VP Palm's Senior Vice President of Engineering, Mike Farese, has left the company according to a recent report. He was in on the development of the 700 series and the 750.

    I wish Ed C. would come out and tell the Palm users what to expect (details, details) and time frames when we can come to expect delivery of the 800W and the Treo Linux. He really needs to come out with something for the Palm Faithful. They appear to keep stumbling and bumbling.

    Please Palm release some real information before you go belly up!!
  2. #2  
    Is anyone surprised? Everyone is releasing new/up dated stuff trying to grab their piece of the market and palm sits and doesn't do anything.

    ET
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Is anyone surprised? Everyone is releasing new/up dated stuff trying to grab their piece of the market and palm sits and doesn't do anything.

    ET
    After posting this I read another article from www.brighthand.com by Ed Hardy, (has focused on Palm for sometime) Read the article; he suggests that Palm modify the Win Mobile software to give a look and feel of Palm, license StyleTap and run Palm programs inside Win Mobile. I have said before that they should license the Bluetooth software from audio gateway or put their programers together. Why should a Treo like the 755p ship without (ad2p BT)?

    He mentioned that microsoft is allowing some flexibility skinning their software to look like something else. He mentions Motorola Q9

    Very good article, He suggests dropping the linux Treo and focus on this format and give us something by June. My desire is to have the design of the BB 8830 (I miss my touch screen and my Palm programs)
    Last edited by Gas Man; 09/20/2007 at 12:25 AM.
  4. #4  
    I don't know Morning. Foleo was announced then canned within the month it was supposed to be released. Palm just can't get it together, even when they do make advance announcements!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #5  
    Palm is old rusty clunker. Its time to build a completely new car, starting from the "inside".

    Replace everybody. All of them.
    Out the door. In with new blood.

    Let's see google buy palm. There might be some exciting possibilities there.

    Google could take the treo blueprints and put their linux os inside, as well as their treasure trove of creativity and innovation.

    They've clearly changed the way we use the internet. We need THEM, not palm's bad news bears, to change the way we use the smartphone!

    They have vast potential for innovation - the intellectual property housed within google is exactly the level of expertise needed to save the palm franchise.

    I'd like to see them build one goog phone with a huge wide screen (think iphone) and one with a physical keyboard.

    Run both on ev-do and wifi. Enable true multitasking.. Put gigabytes of memory onboard - do away with the era of "mb of ram storage" Put cutting edge bluetooth inside. Put a snappy linux browser into the engine.
    Google's location-based services paired with gps and the above capabilities would make for some serious business and media devices. Refresh and enhance threaded sms with google search features - both younger and more mature generations will certainly appreciate this.

    Google has the cash to make this happen. They have the capital and the motivation to acquire the right innovators and developers at the right prices. I'm sure they'd know how to position them more effectively once they are acquired as well - something palm clearly can't do.

    The only thing Palm is aware of is that they are lost and confused. They don't know HOW to get back on the bullet train again. That know how will come with new management with better expertise.

    Out with the old.
    Come on in google. We're waiting for you.
  6. #6  
    You guys are hard! As much as some extra features do sound good, it's a fact that I would not turn in my 700wx for anything else on the market right now. All things considered. I don't think I'm alone.

    -Frank
  7. #7  
    I'm in the group of former Treo owners. I bought a 300, a 600, and then a 650. After two and a half years of owning a 650, I bought an iphone.

    Loved that 650, but it was time to move up. Just disconnected the treo line this week. Kinda sad.
  8. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    After posting this I read another article from www.brighthand.com by Ed Hardy, (has focused on Palm for sometime) Read the article; he suggests that Palm modify the Win Mobile software to give a look and feel of Palm, license StyleTap and run Palm programs inside Win Mobile. I have said before that they should license the Bluetooth software from audio gateway or put their programers together. Why should a Treo like the 755p ship without BT?
    This article makes alot of sense. I really feel Palm needs to get out of the Operating System business and focus on hardware design, the UI, and apps. Think about it. If they really focused on this, we could have a really sweet device in no time.

    I didn't realize there was a Palm Emulator for windows mobile. Palm already has almost everything they need to make this happen. What are they thinking??
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/19/2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Palm is old rusty clunker. Its time to build a completely new car, starting from the "inside".

    Replace everybody. All of them.
    Out the door. In with new blood.

    Let's see google buy palm. There might be some exciting possibilities there.

    Google could take the treo blueprints and put their linux os inside, as well as their treasure trove of creativity and innovation.

    They've clearly changed the way we use the internet. We need THEM, not palm's bad news bears, to change the way we use the smartphone!

    They have vast potential for innovation - the intellectual property housed within google is exactly the level of expertise needed to save the palm franchise.

    I'd like to see them build one goog phone with a huge wide screen (think iphone) and one with a physical keyboard.

    Run both on ev-do and wifi. Enable true multitasking.. Put gigabytes of memory onboard - do away with the era of "mb of ram storage" Put cutting edge bluetooth inside. Put a snappy linux browser into the engine.
    Google's location-based services paired with gps and the above capabilities would make for some serious business and media devices. Refresh and enhance threaded sms with google search features - both younger and more mature generations will certainly appreciate this.

    Google has the cash to make this happen. They have the capital and the motivation to acquire the right innovators and developers at the right prices. I'm sure they'd know how to position them more effectively once they are acquired as well - something palm clearly can't do.

    The only thing Palm is aware of is that they are lost and confused. They don't know HOW to get back on the bullet train again. That know how will come with new management with better expertise.

    Out with the old.
    Come on in google. We're waiting for you.
    good post, I like the fact about a treo without a keyboard and one traditional treo!! Google could do something!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    You guys are hard! As much as some extra features do sound good, it's a fact that I would not turn in my 700wx for anything else on the market right now. All things considered. I don't think I'm alone.

    -Frank
    But they have not real updated our OS in 5 years. Buggy phones (700p). Why we should not be unhappy. Why didn't they spend 5 years developing our linux treo instead of the Foleo? A total lack of regard or respect for their faithful. I agree that that the 700wx is fair, with win mobile 6 it should be better. The BT worked fine on my Camry 2007 and when they release the update (MR) it would not work. These things are unacceptable!!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    You guys are hard! As much as some extra features do sound good, it's a fact that I would not turn in my 700wx for anything else on the market right now. All things considered. I don't think I'm alone.

    -Frank
    But they have not real updated our OS in 5 years. Buggy phones (700p). Why we should not be unhappy. Why didn't they spend 5 years developing our linux treo instead of the Foleo? A total lack of regard or respect for their faithful. I agree that that the 700wx is fair, with win mobile 6 it should be better. The BT worked fine on my Camry 2007 and when they release the update (MR) it would not work. These things are unacceptable!!
  12. #12  
    Guys-I'm with the earlier poster.

    I own a 700P & my work provides me a 700wx. Work previously provided me with a blackberry.

    I love the 700p, really like the wx (except it takes more keystrokes than my P & the internet is better & much faster on the P). I just really did not like the BB at all (wheel drove me nuts, internet waa archaic & much slower than either Treo & I could go on).

    I actually have a pretty stable 700P...with only occasional lags. I almost never (once every other mth) have a crash. The screen is great...I love watching live Tv via slinbox (AMAZING)...I love how Bonsai & Daynotes etc perform.

    I have been exceedingly cautious to only load proven/stable programs. I feel that this has been a key & also wonder if part of it is just getting lucky in terms of device quality. I do have to wonder if device quality (QC Standards) vary a lot. I talked with someone in Verizon who shared there have been lots of Treo replacements (he was in management...had been in several roles & also audit etc).

    So - Are there problems...Yes....Has Palm been MUCH slower & less effective than we would all like to see YES...is there any device that I would trade for....at this time ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!.

    I am pleased with my Treo....I also understand that many have serious challenges/frustrations. I was with you @ one time...then I stepped back...went back to a basic load & VERY VERY carefully selected which programs I would use & also found DB Scan & finally DB Fixit....and my problems went away. (THANK YOU TO THE MAKERS OF THESE PROGRAMS...YOU ARE GREAT!!!). This fixed problems with data corruption / hot synchs / slow response / BLOB etc.

    I see hope @ Palm. Yes.... the form factor is dated.....the same POS is dated...but I contend it is still more productive & powerful than most anything else out there. Ysome studies have been done that show that for example the glitzy iphone users cannot match typing speed of treos due to the keyoards. Overall Treo delivers!

    Thanks for listening.
  13. #13  
    Man.. this is a snowball of POO thats spiraling out of control. IF I was a shareholder I'd demand some massive head-rolling because this is not HELPING my bottom line. And as we all know in a capitalistic society all that matters is how my stock performs. And this is american business, if you don't innovate you die (Pinky in the mouth).
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTreoUser View Post
    Guys-I'm with the earlier poster.

    I own a 700P & my work provides me a 700wx. Work previously provided me with a blackberry.

    I love the 700p, really like the wx (except it takes more keystrokes than my P & the internet is better & much faster on the P). I just really did not like the BB at all (wheel drove me nuts, internet waa archaic & much slower than either Treo & I could go on).

    I actually have a pretty stable 700P...with only occasional lags. I almost never (once every other mth) have a crash. The screen is great...I love watching live Tv via slinbox (AMAZING)...I love how Bonsai & Daynotes etc perform.

    I have been exceedingly cautious to only load proven/stable programs. I feel that this has been a key & also wonder if part of it is just getting lucky in terms of device quality. I do have to wonder if device quality (QC Standards) vary a lot. I talked with someone in Verizon who shared there have been lots of Treo replacements (he was in management...had been in several roles & also audit etc).

    So - Are there problems...Yes....Has Palm been MUCH slower & less effective than we would all like to see YES...is there any device that I would trade for....at this time ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!.



    I am pleased with my Treo....I also understand that many have serious challenges/frustrations. I was with you @ one time...then I stepped back...went back to a basic load & VERY VERY carefully selected which programs I would use & also found DB Scan & finally DB Fixit....and my problems went away. (THANK YOU TO THE MAKERS OF THESE PROGRAMS...YOU ARE GREAT!!!). This fixed problems with data corruption / hot synchs / slow response / BLOB etc.

    I see hope @ Palm. Yes.... the form factor is dated.....the same POS is dated...but I contend it is still more productive & powerful than most anything else out there. Ysome studies have been done that show that for example the glitzy iphone users cannot match typing speed of treos due to the keyoards. Overall Treo delivers!

    Thanks for listening.
    you have made some valid and positive comments. You are very correct thatwe can type an email or whatever in record time as compared to the I-phone
  15. #15  
    I've had my 700P for a year now. No question, I have been unbelievably lucky. I have never had a lag, never had a BT problem (probably because all I do is use one earpiece while driving and never use anything else), and didn't do the upgrade. The only consistent "problem" I have is skipping Ptunes. Whenever I've had problems, it has been due to software (a font in Fontsmoother, using an outdated version of Chatter, or the occasional hiccup with Versamail) or the Sprint network. I use the Slingplayer every day, have bunches of apps on the device, and there is no device I've seen (one of my best friends has a BB) that I would trade it for. Admittedly, I've been lucky. I'm totally convinced that there are hardware or chip differences in the 700p; it's the only explanation for why some have lots of problems, even with no apps installed, and some have no problems at all. I'd be willing to bet that if all 700p's worked like my phone, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Sure, the fancy UI on iPhone is appealing, but given the networks and keyboards involved, I'm not the least bit interested. Other than a new form factor, adding A2DP and fixing Ptunes, upgrading to Rev A.....I can't think of anything that would work a whole lot better for me. I'm very pleased with what I have. At the same time, I feel for those who are so frustrated they are ready to bolt.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    But they have not real updated our OS in 5 years.
    Yes, they did. With WM5. For whatever reason I guess you don't want to use that. But... why leave the Treo just becuase of that?

    -Frank
  17. mikecc's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #17  
    Give up the Linux Treo. Who else is in the Linux smartphone game? no one. Everyone is jumping to the WM world. Microsoft got so much cash on their hand and there are tons of support for WM. It's no longer a Palm Pilot world, Palm will fail miserablely if it doesn't follow the trend and adopt the new business enviroment quicker.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    just went to www.Palminfocenter.com and the top two articles are about Palm One with a 36% decrease in earnings with the corresponding drop in the number of Treo Smartphones being sold.

    Also, Palm's VP Palm's Senior Vice President of Engineering, Mike Farese, has left the company according to a recent report. He was in on the development of the 700 series and the 750.

    I wish Ed C. would come out and tell the Palm users what to expect (details, details) and time frames when we can come to expect delivery of the 800W and the Treo Linux. He really needs to come out with something for the Palm Faithful. They appear to keep stumbling and bumbling.

    Please Palm release some real information before you go belly up!!
    Losing a senior VP is not a major thing. It is major if other developers follow him out the door. The 700 series had flawed hardware and software archecture, the execution didn't match the vision and its caused a black eye for Palm. If this person signed off on this model, and has a hand in some of the issues (and solutions), this might be a change for the better.

    No company tells you what to expect. Everything that you here is a leak of one form or another. Palm does its investor meetings and lays out plans there, and an analyst day and lays out more there. Anything more that that for a company that ONLY DOES handhelds, is stupid and bad business.

    The other side of releasing info, especially as it pertains to smartphones, is the carrier side of the equasion. While Palm could say that they have this and this and that. If the models don't pass carrier testing for a longer time than any of you here expect, then they will get blasted. If a carrier you are on decides not to carry it halfway thru testing, then Palm will get blasted. The carrier side of things keeps them from releasing much of anything.

    I share the sentiment that Palm needs to do something, but realistically, they can only execute on the plans they have, make solid devices that are innovative enough and a good value, and remain profitable. Asking anymore than that is just wishing, and unless Palm gets the pockets of a MS/Nokia/Google, wishing changes nothing.

    Addition:
    Give up the Linux Treo. Who else is in the Linux smartphone game? no one. Everyone is jumping to the WM world. Microsoft got so much cash on their hand and there are tons of support for WM. It's no longer a Palm Pilot world, Palm will fail miserablely if it doesn't follow the trend and adopt the new business enviroment quicker.
    In the Linux game: Vodaphone, Verizon, Motorola, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, CMS (those are the big names off the top of my head, there are plenty more).
    Every is NOT jumping to the WM world. While WM is making inroads, its not breaking the back of RIM who has made the most inroads. The business environment is consistent and plateauing side of the market, the consumer side of things is what is growing, and specifically in places not named US and Western EU. Leveraging a low cost and secure OS in places where the average costs of mobiles is dropping quickly is much smarter than staying with an OS whose licensing fees are increasing for both manufacturer and consumer.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  19. amakh007's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #19  
    It is sad to see a company and products I love go stagnant. iphone just blows treo out of water. Why doesn't palm "leak" some info about upcoming products to keep interest high?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    ...iphone just blows treo out of water.
    No, really, it doesn't. Not for adult/business use. Now if you're into using your phone for muzac... maybe. Whatever.

    -Frank
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions