Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post

A couple hours later we are talking about a really funny video we remembered from YouTube. iPhone guy says "here, I'll put it up, I have YouTube". I tell him "No, you don't". He says "Yes, I do, look" and shows me the iPhone YouTube app. So I tell him "ok, let's both look for this video, see who finds it first.". I whip out my wx, and in about 20 seconds I'm showing the video perfectly to our Nokia friend. iPhone guy still can't find it, and I explain why (it's m.youtube, not real youtube, unlike the wx), but he doesn't believe me, so he keeps searching. He asks me what was the exact name of the video, who put it on YouTube, etc. Of course, he never found it, all he found was a single video of some girl talking to the camera about whatever it is those people with webcams talk about on YouTube. By the time he gave up I was showing Nokia guy a third video that I had saved on my YouTube profile (something else the iPhone can't access), and then explained to him how to get it working on his phone.

My iPhone friend was a bit shaken by that whoel thing, I have to say
    So because he couldn't find something on the web, your phone is better than his??? Sounds like operator error more than anything else.
    No he was right. His point was that the iPhone has access to very small subset of youtube video.
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    None of the Smartphone vendors give you a choice. Aside from Linux, the only other example where you had a choice is Solaris. In this case choice is not really a good thing. The typical GUI application makes far more calls to the GUI apis than to other APIs such as the kernal or filesystem. GUI apis are also far larger and more complex than the other OS APIs. This makes porting a GUI between different GUIs no less complex than porting to a different OS.

Advocates of the seperate GUI approach should consider how many people are using Linux on their desktop PCs. Most corporations only use Linux on their servers.
    I'll give you another example: M$ Windows.

Go do a search for Powershell and Windows 7 (currently the code name for the next version of Windows). Powershell is a new command interrupter/terminal for Windows. Rumor has it that this will be the core UI for the future version of Windows and the GUIs will sit on top of Powershell. Note that I said GUIs, not GUI. Rumor also has it that Powershell will allow for different GUIs based on the type of deployment, or implementation, for a given Windows client/server.

Palm could take this same approach with a Treo GUI that would sit on top of any Mobile OS that Palm deploys. This Treo GUI could provide a common plateform for application development, so the same apps could run on WM or POSII.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    So because he couldn't find something on the web, your phone is better than his??? Sounds like operator error more than anything else.
    I guess you don't know it either, but the iPhone's so-called "YouTube" feature is in reality nothing more than m.youtube.com, which is crap that most any other phone can do. He couln't find the video because he has no access to the real YouTube, something WM phones do amazingly well thanks to a few generous developers.

The story serves to underline the benefits of a platform that (while not perfect) is actually open to developers and is not just based on flashiness or or its marketing as a status symbol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Aside from the iPod software, the iPhone's real strength is its web browser (and the best mobile google maps implementation). I must be getting old because watching video on a cell phone has no interest for me. I prefer a large HiDef Plasma.
    As much as I like *using* the iPhone because of its UI, I really think its web browser is incredibly overhyped. It's amazing on a technical level, but I don't think it's the right implementation of a browser for a phone. Most people are too blinded by the technical wizardy of the iPhone's browser to realize that, for example, a long Wikipedia article is far more comfortable to read on OperaMini than on the iPhone. Is it pretty? hell yes, but I really don't think it's practical.

Besides, the Picsel browser is really almost as good as the iPhone's in the way it builds full pages.

As for the videos - HD on your plasma has nothing to do with what YouTube does, on a phone or otherwise. It's like comparing a comic strip to Saving Private Ryan. They're different things and they serve different purposes. I would agree if we were talking about quality video - I don't really understand people who download TV shows and full length summer movies from iTunes to watch on their iPods, for example - but I actually find YouTube is perfect for phones, the quality usually isn't any better than the phone's screen anyway, and the usual duration is perfect for the short moments when you're away from big screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Iphones don't blow Treo's out of the water. If you are a big IPOD/Mobile video junky, then yes the Iphone is a much better device than a Treo, only because of the large, high quality, screen. Try to type a response to an email or SMS message with one hand on an Iphone.
    Yeah, I'd say the screen(and design to a lesser degree) is what has everyone drooling over the iPhone. I was also able to type one-handed on the iPhone. However, I was sitting down. I probably wouldn't have done this while walking down the street.

The Treo is still more useful than the iPhone for business use, however. No 3rd party apps hurt the iPhone, in terms of usability for business. It also doesn't have a call blocking/filter feature, which I need. I could go on, but let's just say this is more a personal or LIGHT business use phone. Treo is still a heavy business use phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yeah, I'd say the screen(and design to a lesser degree) is what has everyone drooling over the iPhone. I was also able to type one-handed on the iPhone. However, I was sitting down. I probably wouldn't have done this while walking down the street.

The Treo is still more useful than the iPhone for business use, however. No 3rd party apps hurt the iPhone, in terms of usability for business. It also doesn't have a call blocking/filter feature, which I need. I could go on, but let's just say this is more a personal or LIGHT business use phone. Treo is still a heavy business use phone.

"Phone Diva" are you going to get the the HTC Multi Touch?

I wish that BB's plans were cheaper. I may go to the 800w if the unit is thinner like the 500 or the centro. I really cannot give up my keyboard, even though I know some Treo fans would like the full screen; if Palm does give a larger screen I hope the screen is a pull down (like Samsung I-730) that phone never really took off. nice concept though.

Jerry G
    Is it a GSM phone? Or the new Sprint version? If Sprint, I refuse to go back to them.

But I still want to try an 8525 first.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is it a GSM phone? Or the new Sprint version? If Sprint, I refuse to go back to them.

But I still want to try an 8525 first.
    I think that it will come in both favors, What turned you off on Sprint? Poor Customer service? Just curious!

Jerry G.
    Bad CS, you guessed it! Blowing off customers and messing up their accounts ain't good, no matter what the rates are!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123