Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    It is sad to see a company and products I love go stagnant. iphone just blows treo out of water. Why doesn't palm "leak" some info about upcoming products to keep interest high?
    What are they going to leak. They probably only have a Garnet based Palm followup with one feature different from 755p and a WM6 (800w) that has the specs of the 755p. Meanwhile my 650 is still kicking along and not that much different from the 755p. They don't leak anything because there is nothing to leak, at least nothing that won't embarrass them or make the stock go down more. They have no innovative things coming out. Everyone is making QWERTY smartphones now. I have been using a Treo since 2002, owned the 600 when it first came out, and upgraded to a 650 when it first came out because of the screen enhancement and BT. Since then, nothing they have come out has convinced me to upgrade, and the lack of innovation is convincing me to jump ship to an OS that has more support now.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    ...and a WM6 (800w) that has the specs of the 750w (edit). Meanwhile my 650 is still kicking along and not that much different from the 755p.
    Actually, the 800w is a different device than just a 750w with WM6.

Funny thing is, for WM users they are not expecting nor clamoring for a "major" upgrade to the 700wx (just browse those threads). Most seem to be content with RevA, 320x320, WM6, no antenna, thinner and maybe Wifi. The leaked specs suggest all of that will be present in the 800w. Link.

This is just due to the fact that 700wx users in general have a lot less to be upset about than POS users, which is understandable. It's also why you find very few "Palm is dying/dead/last nail in the coffin/I'm done with them" threads started by WM Palm owners.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTreoUser View Post
    Guys-I'm with the earlier poster.

I own a 700P & my work provides me a 700wx. Work previously provided me with a blackberry.

I love the 700p, really like the wx (except it takes more keystrokes than my P & the internet is better & much faster on the P). I just really did not like the BB at all (wheel drove me nuts, internet waa archaic & much slower than either Treo & I could go on).

I actually have a pretty stable 700P...with only occasional lags. I almost never (once every other mth) have a crash. The screen is great...I love watching live Tv via slinbox (AMAZING)...I love how Bonsai & Daynotes etc perform.

I have been exceedingly cautious to only load proven/stable programs. I feel that this has been a key & also wonder if part of it is just getting lucky in terms of device quality. I do have to wonder if device quality (QC Standards) vary a lot. I talked with someone in Verizon who shared there have been lots of Treo replacements (he was in management...had been in several roles & also audit etc).

So - Are there problems...Yes....Has Palm been MUCH slower & less effective than we would all like to see YES...is there any device that I would trade for....at this time ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!.

I am pleased with my Treo....I also understand that many have serious challenges/frustrations. I was with you @ one time...then I stepped back...went back to a basic load & VERY VERY carefully selected which programs I would use & also found DB Scan & finally DB Fixit....and my problems went away. (THANK YOU TO THE MAKERS OF THESE PROGRAMS...YOU ARE GREAT!!!). This fixed problems with data corruption / hot synchs / slow response / BLOB etc.

I see hope @ Palm. Yes.... the form factor is dated.....the same POS is dated...but I contend it is still more productive & powerful than most anything else out there. Ysome studies have been done that show that for example the glitzy iphone users cannot match typing speed of treos due to the keyoards. Overall Treo delivers!

Thanks for listening.
    you have made some valid and positive comments. You are very correct thatwe can type an email or whatever in record time as compared to the I-phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Actually, the 800w is a different device than just a 750w with WM6.
    Not to hijack this thead (I really don't want to), but, just a quick yes or no will do... have you heard anything about the 800 having flash?

-Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Not to hijack this thead (I really don't want to), but, just a quick yes or no will do... have you heard anything about the 800 having flash?

-Frank
    as much as I'd like to answer with Y/N, I'm not sure what you mean, lol.

Do you mean "a flash" as in for the camera?

Actually, the point is moot now I think about it...all I know is what is on the spec sheet I linked to in post #22!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    as much as I'd like to answer with Y/N, I'm not sure what you mean, lol.

Do you mean "a flash" as in for the camera?

Actually, the point is moot now I think about it...all I know is what is on the spec sheet I linked to in post #22!
    I meant as in "Macromedia Flash Player". One that would be seemless within Internet Explorer, like a PC.

-Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

Let's see google buy palm. There might be some exciting possibilities there.

Google could take the treo blueprints and put their linux os inside, as well as their treasure trove of creativity and innovation.
    Why in the hell would Google want to use the chunky, tired Treo formfactor. Treo's lack of a slim formfactor is one of the major reasons fewer and fewer people are buying them.
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    In the Linux game: Vodaphone, Verizon, Motorola, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, CMS (those are the big names off the top of my head, there are plenty more).
    Every is NOT jumping to the WM world. While WM is making inroads, its not breaking the back of RIM who has made the most inroads. The business environment is consistent and plateauing side of the market, the consumer side of things is what is growing, and specifically in places not named US and Western EU. Leveraging a low cost and secure OS in places where the average costs of mobiles is dropping quickly is much smarter than staying with an OS whose licensing fees are increasing for both manufacturer and consumer.
    It would be one thing if Palm wasn't starting from a dead stop with their new Linux OS, but they aren't. They are talking 12months minimum to get something functional out. This tells me they haven't been working on it long. 12-18 months is crazy. If they realistically can't put out a stopgap for Garnet before this, many of us Palm users are going to jump ship.

Linux may be freely downloadable, but it isn't free. Remember, GNU software is free as in "free speech," not free beer. There is a real cost associated with supporting a Linux distro. WM may cost $10-$15 per unit, but it's ready to roll and is supported by MS. What is the cost of 12-18 months, or more, of R&D?
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    It is sad to see a company and products I love go stagnant. iphone just blows treo out of water. Why doesn't palm "leak" some info about upcoming products to keep interest high?
    Iphones don't blow Treo's out of the water. If you are a big IPOD/Mobile video junky, then yes the Iphone is a much better device than a Treo, only because of the large, high quality, screen. Try to type a response to an email or SMS message with one hand on an Iphone.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    This article makes alot of sense. I really feel Palm needs to get out of the Operating System business and focus on hardware design, the UI, and apps. Think about it. If they really focused on this, we could have a really sweet device in no time.

I didn't realize there was a Palm Emulator for windows mobile. Palm already has almost everything they need to make this happen. What are they thinking??
    The UI really is part of the OS. I think they main asset Palm has right now is Palm OS and all the 3rd party apps for the OS. The Treo hardware is nothing special. Its a bit crappy frankly. If I wanted a WM device, I would want something smaller and better built than a Treo. The built in apps are nothing special either (Except for the 2.0 Phone and the SMS app). I use a 3rd party email program and 3rd Party PIM apps. RIM'a PIM apps are rather crude and they have big gaps in 3rd party support. However, they have really got their act together as far as hardware is concerned.
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The UI really is part of the OS. I think they main asset Palm has right now is Palm OS and all the 3rd party apps for the OS. The Treo hardware is nothing special. Its a bit crappy frankly. If I wanted a WM device, I would want something smaller and better built than a Treo. The built in apps are nothing special either (Except for the 2.0 Phone and the SMS app). I use a 3rd party email program and 3rd Party PIM apps. RIM'a PIM apps are rather crude and they have big gaps in 3rd party support. However, they have really got their act together as far as hardware is concerned.
    No, the UI is not part of a OS. It simply provides the user with an interface to interact with the OS. Take mainstream Linux distros for example. You can choose between many UIs, the two most popular being Gnome and KDE. Both of these popular UIs give the user similar functionality, but they are two completely different apps, developed and supported by two completely different organizations. Neither of these is REQUIRED to run Linux. In fact, there are several popular Linux distros out there that run with no GUI at all.

In much the same way, a smartphone UI does not have to be tied to an OS. It may seem that it is, only because the OS developer doesn't give you a choice. Microsoft is a prime example -- you get what they give you.

Palm OS is not an asset to Palm any longer. It is out of date and on it's way to the graveyard. At one time, when no one else was writing mobile operating systems, POS was a huge asset. Now there are other players in the game writing OSs to run on mobile devices, most of which are much more capable than POS.

Third part app availabilty for POS is what it is because POS has been around for so long. Availablity of third party apps for WM, for example, is quickly catching up with POS third part apps.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    ArgonNJ, I was simply stating that due to the severity of palm's dire straits, Palm's only hopes could very well come from the energy, ingenuity and intellectual assets within google. Sure it may not be in google's best interests to buy a dying, hopeless company and I can hardly blame them. But my point is they might be one of the few remaining entities capable of righting Palm's upended ship.

Palm need a ton of help. Google has a ton of cash, talent and creativity. Do you see where I'm going with this?
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Palm need a ton of help. Google has a ton of cash, talent and creativity. Do you see where I'm going with this?
    The answer is not Google.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    How is it you are so certain of that?

The answer CERTAINLY isn't palm either.
  15. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    How is it you are so certain of that?

The answer CERTAINLY isn't palm either.
    Over course that was just my personal opinion.

There could be advantages to Palm to team up with another company, but I don't think Google is the company. Sure, Google could probably make something out of Palm simply because Google has so much money. Google could be sucessful at just about anything given the money they have behind them. However, I think there are better alliances to be had for Palm.

I think Palm can do this by themselves. They just need to pull there heads out of their... well you know what I'm getting at. They have the experience, the tools, and the reputation (even if it is slipping)

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    No, really, it doesn't. Not for adult/business use. Now if you're into using your phone for muzac... maybe. Whatever.

-Frank
    And only when it comes to iTunes-based entertainment. Last night I went for drinks with a couple of friends, one of whom has an iPhone, and another who has been a long time Nokia guy.

I tell them how I've been though 5 phones in the last 4 months, and finally settled on the 700wx and how happy I am with it. When I mentioned that, Nokia guy said "Funny, I switched from the Nokias to this" and shows me a 750V, and tells me how happy he is with his phone. We talked about how amazing it is to have the keyboard and how much better it is than lots of other WM phones.

A couple hours later we are talking about a really funny video we remembered from YouTube. iPhone guy says "here, I'll put it up, I have YouTube". I tell him "No, you don't". He says "Yes, I do, look" and shows me the iPhone YouTube app. So I tell him "ok, let's both look for this video, see who finds it first.". I whip out my wx, and in about 20 seconds I'm showing the video perfectly to our Nokia friend. iPhone guy still can't find it, and I explain why (it's m.youtube, not real youtube, unlike the wx), but he doesn't believe me, so he keeps searching. He asks me what was the exact name of the video, who put it on YouTube, etc. Of course, he never found it, all he found was a single video of some girl talking to the camera about whatever it is those people with webcams talk about on YouTube. By the time he gave up I was showing Nokia guy a third video that I had saved on my YouTube profile (something else the iPhone can't access), and then explained to him how to get it working on his phone.

My iPhone friend was a bit shaken by that whoel thing, I have to say
    No, the UI is not part of a OS. It simply provides the user with an interface to interact with the OS. Take mainstream Linux distros for example. You can choose between many UIs, the two most popular being Gnome and KDE. Both of these popular UIs give the user similar functionality, but they are two completely different apps, developed and supported by two completely different organizations. Neither of these is REQUIRED to run Linux. In fact, there are several popular Linux distros out there that run with no GUI at all.

In much the same way, a smartphone UI does not have to be tied to an OS. It may seem that it is, only because the OS developer doesn't give you a choice. Microsoft is a prime example -- you get what they give you.
    None of the Smartphone vendors give you a choice. Aside from Linux, the only other example where you had a choice is Solaris. In this case choice is not really a good thing. The typical GUI application makes far more calls to the GUI apis than to other APIs such as the kernal or filesystem. GUI apis are also far larger and more complex than the other OS APIs. This makes porting a GUI between different GUIs no less complex than porting to a different OS.

Advocates of the seperate GUI approach should consider how many people are using Linux on their desktop PCs. Most corporations only use Linux on their servers.
    Third part app availabilty for POS is what it is because POS has been around for so long. Availablity of third party apps for WM, for example, is quickly catching up with POS third part apps.
    This is true. Availabilty of third party apps for RIM devices is also growing rapidly. However, people who already have a collection of Palm apps are probably going to continue to use their PalmOS Treos. Everyone else will migrate to one of the other platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    And only when it comes to iTunes-based entertainment. Last night I went for drinks with a couple of friends, one of whom has an iPhone, and another who has been a long time Nokia guy.

My iPhone friend was a bit shaken by that whoel thing, I have to say
    Aside from the iPod software, the iPhone's real strength is its web browser (and the best mobile google maps implementation). I must be getting old because watching video on a cell phone has no interest for me. I prefer a large HiDef Plasma.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    This is true. Availabilty of third party apps for RIM devices is also growing rapidly. However, people who already have a collection of Palm apps are probably going to continue to use their PalmOS Treos. Everyone else will migrate to one of the other platforms.
    Wish Style Tap would produce the same program for RIM (as they do for Win Mobile) and who knows maybe someday RIM will produce a touchscreen.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast