Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    This is a running summary of the desired next generation Treo specs. Hey Palm, LISTEN UP!!!

DESIRED NEXT GENERATION TREO SPECS:

1. Form Factor: No wider than 2.4", No Taller than 4.3", and no Thicker than 0.6" Do not sacrifice battery life or LCD usability for thinner form factor. We are liking where you are going with the 500V, keep it up.

2. Fully QWERTY Keyboard: Follow Palm's current Treo design. Do not change this!!!! You definately have this part of the design nailed.

3. Large, high quality, LCD: 320px x 480px minimum resolution, ability to dynamically change layout like the Iphone. Widescreen format prefered.

4. Clean, logical, modern UI: Should hide underlining OS and provide a simple yet effective interface; should have a slick, sexy, look and feel; main menu/screen needs to be integrated tightly with the "nav" device (e.g., 5-way cursor); standardize top of every screen to report signal strength, battery power, and current app across all applications

5. Push email client.

6. Stable Core OS: No more Garnet, but we do like the simplicity that Garnet offers. We'd really like it if our phones didn't crash so much and we really want multi-tasking.

7. Simple, clean, phone app: Start from a clean layout like the 700P or 680, but improve to integrate better with contact manager.

8. Faster processor and more builtin memory. 128mb min. user memory.

9. Hotsync to both a PC or "SD" card.

10. 3.5" Headphone Jack: Located either on the side or the top, but not the bottom.

11. WIFI.

12. Ringer switch.

13. 2+ MegaPixel Digital Camera
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/19/2007 at 11:49 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Improved UI
    4G

Otherwise it's 3G iphone.....
    Pearl is too small imo, especially for a full qwerty which is why it doesn't have one.

I actually like the size/proportions of the 500 series.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I would like to be able to hotsync to a memory stick, that I could plug into any computer. I hate having to have my most personal information anywhere other than my pocket. It would also be nice to be able to install software without having to get back to the one computer that is set up for a hotsync.
    Uhmm, nice question. New ammo in my answers:

Hardware: designed just like this, incude 3G and wifi models, keep haptic feedback, use OLED for the high end halo model.

Software: freshen the look by increasing DPI, upgrading graphics; upgrade keyprograms and have hooks into online services for syncing calendar and docs; improve the phone app on the 680/Centro by making one tab user definable, addition of widgets (API) so that other programs can do icon notification; standarize the use of the top of the screen for signal/program/time info across all apps; native support for common file formats; Flash Lite and Java built-in
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I would like to be able to hotsync to a memory stick, that I could plug into any computer. I hate having to have my most personal information anywhere other than my pocket. It would also be nice to be able to install software without having to get back to the one computer that is set up for a hotsync.
    I LOVE the idea of hotsyncing to a card. Its different than backing up to one. Great idea!!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    - A modern design that is (a lot) thinner, not narrower, because I am in love with the Treo keyboard. Messing with it is a bad, bad idea in my book. And make it a good hard material, not cheap plastic.

- WM Pro device, preferably 320x480 resolution touchscreen, portrait oriented.

- 256MB ROM, 128 RAM minimum

- Wifi, BT 2.0

- Faster processor

- I could really use a couple extra hard button on the front face of the device

- Most important of all: make sure the "secret sauce" is implemented and implemented well, like the way antoine described above, starting with threaded SMS, improved dialing interface, notifications, etc.

- Ringer switch

- Did I mention DON'T MESS WITH THE KEYBOARD?

Those are pretty modest requirements considering the other players.
    I too like the "Hotsync to a card" idea - good thinking.

My other thoughts for a new Treo:

• Definitely don't mess with the keyboard - it works so well. Except my 'P' key - fix that!
    • Don't make the screen any smaller (like the centro) - I want the same or taller. A 320x480 screen on a Treo 680 sized unit would be ideal. Also, the choice of removing the white border when watching video.
    • We've gotta have a camera to compete with the likes of the Nokias & SonyEricssons. Palm should be the first with a zoom lens.
    • FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GIVE US A PROPER 3.5mm HEADPHONE PORT. On the top or side, not on the bottom.
    • Definitely leave the ringer switch
    • Thinner would good, but not at the expense of battery life.
    • Put the loudspeaker on the front, side or top of the unit. I don't like having to put the Treo down on its front to stop it being muffled.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    WiFi

ET
  10. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    My simple needs:

1. Nothing is wrong with the hardware, IMO. It's perfect. If it can be smaller, maybe mini-USB connector, great. Otherwise don't mess with it.

2. Multi-tasking OS. This is it. No more Treos for me without it.

3. NO LAG! I'm not kidding, often I turn on my phone to jot down a quick note and by the time it actually turns on and I can get to the memo pad, I've forgotten what I wanted to remind myself. My laptop wakes from sleep faster than my Treo turns on a lot of the time. That's just not right.

4. Powerful e-mail client with IMAP, push, and flexible rules. This doesn't have to be built-in, but there aren't any 3rd-party solutions right now either.

5. A browser that's faster than the internet connection. It's sad that the bottleneck on the Treo is no longer the speed of the data connection, but the time it takes Blazer to render.
    3G on a GSM Network (Tmobile)
    Integrated GPS
    Updated OS (Linux?)
    Stability?
    put the headphone jack on the TOP not the bottom.
    Wifi
    Bluetooth 2.0
    Increased screen size
    2+ MegaPixel Digital Camera
    128Meg (Minimum independant of the OS memory)
    A company that cares
    A Company that innovates
    a Company that will WOW me like it use to
    And dont remove the keyboard.. if you do you better re-instate Graffiti which you've taken away

I think in the end its a pipedream.
    Am i asking for too much?

Most cell makers out there always puts two out of three features in a phone.
    Wifi + big screen but no high speed
    High speed + 2MP but no GPS
    etc.etc.
    If you compare most phones on the market you can have 2 but never all 3 of what people want.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    This is a running summary of the desired next generation Treo specs. Hey Palm, LISTEN UP!!!

DESIRED NEXT GENERATION TREO SPECS:

1. Form Factor: No wider than 2.4", No Taller than 4.3", and no Thicker than 0.6" Do not sacrifice battery life or LCD usability for thinner form factor. We are liking where you are going with the 500V, keep it up.

2. Fully QWERTY Keyboard: Follow Palm's current Treo design. Do not change this!!!! You definately have part of the design nailed.
    I don't have any problem with your suggested NG Treo... sounds great. What I want Palm to do is to produce MORE THAN ONE product line, more than one form factor.

Specifically, I'd also like to see:

1) iPhone-like, touch screen-only, no QWERTY. Obviously streamlined touch-based UI (unlike WM, which is lame and poorly integrated).

2) NG Palm flipphone/clamshell, no QWERTY, touch screen and standard physical dialpad, RAZR-sized (like the Cingular 3125/HTC StarTrek).

I personally would buy #2 in a heartbeat. I'm happy that y'all have your QWERTY phones, but I don't want one (I actually have a Dash, but don't use it daily). I think the iPhone has shown us that the not everyone wants a physical QWERTY (fine for those that do...). And the continued majority of the cellphone market is for flipphones (RAZR, Muziq, etc, etc).

The whole Smartphone market (with the recent exception of the iPhone) is focused on QWERTY. That's fine, but its a crowded market. Palm could really distinguish itself and gain a big part of another market: the non-QWERTY smartphone.

My current phone is a Samsung i500, perhaps the last great PalmOS flipphone. It is 4 years old and showing its age, but frankly I can't see moving to any current device on the market (with the possible exception of the 3125). I do also plan to consider the CDMA Touch (Vogue) coming out in Nov, but I would be happier if Palm produced a PalmOS (II) version of the Touch. I think Palm is stupid not to go back to its roots as a touchscreen-only-based PalmOS and make a cheap $100 iPhone competitor running PalmOS, instead of wasting time and resources with the 500V, which is yet another warmed-over WM/Dash/Q/Blackjack QWERTY also-ran.

But most of all, I think Palm is stupid for thinking the whole world wants a Treo of some form. There are many other forms that people want and phone companies that are successful DIVERSIFY their product offerings...
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    The whole Smartphone market (with the recent exception of the iPhone) is focused on QWERTY. That's fine, but its a crowded market. Palm could really distinguish itself and gain a big part of another market: the non-QWERTY smartphone.
    Palm's QWERTY keyboard is by far and away one of the Treo's most popular features. Getting rid of it would result in alot of users raising serious cain
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Palm's QWERTY keyboard is by far and away one of the Treo's most popular features. Getting rid of it would result in alot of users raising serious cain
    Definitely.

The smart way around this: release two devices, basically the same: one full screen/virtual KB, the second "traditional" Treo layout.

That'd be great but I can't see carriers offering both, which would be the limiting factor...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The smart way around this: release two devices, basically the same: one full screen/virtual KB, the second "traditional" Treo layout.

That'd be great but I can't see carriers offering both, which would be the limiting factor...
    Yes, the point is to offer more than one kind of device. If devices are compelling enough, why *wouldn't* carriers offer both ? Sprint is/will be offering at least 6 "smart" devices, including the HTC 6800 *and* Touch, Palm's 700wx, 755p *and* Centro, Samsung's BlackjackII, Moto's Q, the BB's and more. Cingular and Tmo also offer several HTC/WM devices each. The whole point is the *grow* Palm's market share through diversity, not just confine itself to the Treo/QWERTY niche.

It has been MS's vision with WM/Std, and it should be Palm's also, that it is possible eventually have the *entire* cell phone market *all* be smartphones. It is almost happening in the sense that you look at your common RAZR or music phone, almost any cell phone now has a web browser, often email client, contact DB, calendar, and some have note takers, etc. With Java, you can run Google maps, Opera, GPS software, etc. So there is a real blurring of smart and "dumb" phones. It would be wise for Palm to cash in on that trend and make Palm devices that can compete on a price/function level with common phones like the RAZR, Muziq, etc, etc. And most of these phones are FLIPphones, not bar/QWERTY's.
    I want the new phones in the 680 and Centro form factor, but really thin, like new iPod thin. They would have build in battery. I would like an external battery that take up the whole backend of the phones. That way even with external battery mounted, they would still look good.

As for OS, I just want the current launcher with slightly improved customization. Namely renaming and repositioning. I don't care the iPhone type of flashy UI but it wouldn't hurt.

I want tighter intergrating with gmail/yahoo mail/flickr/youtube. TBH I don't care about "more features" really.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    How about a composite device? IPhone-like slim touchscreen-only "fashion" device, but with a sliding keyboard unit that carries the "business" options, like the keyboard (duh!), wifi, gps, extra memory and extra battery. But it unclips. So you just take the lightweight part when you're going out socially (say), but the whole unit when working, or on a longer trip.

You could call the small unit a smartphone, and the keyboard unit a smartphone companion even, and sell them separately!

Surely this has been suggested before though?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I'm not too hot for a sliding keyboard for now specially the ones i see that have to be used sideways to use the sliding keyboard... ulk! its cheesy to me... i like it at least as thin as the 500v though...

Just release a full screen-able Treo (like the Tungsten 3 with slider) with wifi and then pair it with a Foleo device... thats my dream device...

I highly doubt they will release 2 types of Treos though... I think they are goin with the approach of really making the hardware outside different but the hardware inside the same... the way they did with the 755p and 500v... releasing 2 completely different form factors takes $$$$$, and thats something unfortunately Palm does not have enough of.
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    How about a composite device? IPhone-like slim touchscreen-only "fashion" device, but with a sliding keyboard unit that carries the "business" options, like the keyboard (duh!), wifi, gps, extra memory and extra battery. But it unclips. So you just take the lightweight part when you're going out socially (say), but the whole unit when working, or on a longer trip.

You could call the small unit a smartphone, and the keyboard unit a smartphone companion even, and sell them separately!

Surely this has been suggested before though?
    I've read of something along these lines for the Iphone. It's a regular QWERTY keyboard the straps onto the bottom portion of the Iphone screen. Now sure what happens when you rotate the unit though.

I have a hard enough time keeping track of my phone, let alone some kind of a clip-on unit. One of the reasons I stopped using Bluetooth headsets is because I was tired of running to buy a new one every couple months because I'd lost my old one.

Virtural keyboards are no good. I'd much rather have a smaller screen than to give up the keyboard.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  20. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I'm not too hot for a sliding keyboard for now specially the ones i see that have to be used sideways to use the sliding keyboard... ulk! its cheesy to me... i like it at least as thin as the 500v though...
    I'm not too keen on the keyboards the slide out from the side either. I have seen a device (maybe it was an ipaq) where the keyboard slide out the bottom. This seems much more natural and easy to use.

The Truth About MonaVie:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast