Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just don't want it to reset, even when just receiving a text message... A 3.0 mp camera with flash wouldn't hurt either
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Pardon my pessimism here, but I don't think Palm peruses around here finding out their power user's desires. It seems like Apple has for the past 5 years tho. That's why they are now delivering what many have been begging for since the early part of this decade.

Palm is far smarter than listening to a bunch of customers. They apparently got analysts and professional market researchers to help them churn out their incredible cutting edge products. Apple doesn't stand a chance against the mighty 500, Centro, and coming Foleo Remix.

Keep the cool ideas coming tho. Someone is listening. :-D
    Haha! Apple listens to the power users? Give me a break. That must be why the iPhone supports 3rd Party applications, right?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    ** Haha! Apple listens to the power users? Give me a break. That must be why the iPhone supports 3rd Party applications, right? **

Count,

I'm about as close to a Palm fanatic is there is and a current 680 user. That being said, it is obvious that Palm's horrific corporate train wreck since owning 70+% of the mobile device market is steadily reducing them to an also ran. Palm is in disarray, and certainly not in the habit of listening to the folks around here for nearly a decade now.

Apple's 1st entry into the smartphone / featurephone arena contains many of the specs that we have been begging for. Furthermore they have brought it forth with more elegance, polish, and attractiveness than Palm could do in 100 years at the current rate. Palm is simply milking the remaining worth out of the Handspring innovation. Apparently they are bankrupt in the innovation and compelling departments.

Adding a 3rd party software support system (if they so choose), a clipboard, 3G, push e-mail, etc to the iPhone will be like child's play for Apple. They have delivered a gigantic foundation for future mobile computing and communications. The kind of foundation that we posted around these parts forever as a dream. A dream that has slowly died with Palm's antiquated platform and hardware.

Laugh, haha, and giggle all you want. While doing so, ask yourself when the last time anything Palm made it's way into the front page of local and national news rags, "household conversation", and forced crowd control at the local carrier or electronics stores? Is it the 755? Will it be the 500? The Centro? The Foleo? Palm OS Linux in 12-18months? Another 2003 lookalike Treo with a new hard button arrangement on Guam's 2nd largest telco?

Like Mr. Colligan's giggles last Spring, I'm not to impressed. Actually, I'm a little bit sad about it all.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Laugh, haha, and giggle all you want. While doing so, ask yourself when the last time anything Palm made it's way into the front page of local and national news rags, "household conversation", and forced crowd control at the local carrier or electronics stores? .
    I can't speak for Count obviously, but I think you're missing the point of his comment, which was about Apple, not about Apple vs Palm.

The iPhone is absolutely NOT a response to power users, which is what he said. It's just not. It's an incredible device, an amazing software and hardware foundation, and many other things, but it is not designed to cater to what users want, specifically. It's another typically closed-box, ovesimplified expression of what Apple thinks is right, and they do all they can to make sure you can't stray out of their vision.

I don't think power users (or any others) were clamoring "Please, don't let us install any third party software" "please don't include 3G!!!" "Hey Apple, please make sure I can only use it with iTunes and nothing else!" "Hey Apple, don't forget to make sure bluetooth GPSs don't work with the iPhone, it's going to be awesome!". They just did whatever they thought was the right balance of great product and a way to keep their audience under control, which again, is their typical MO.

They are like a force of nature, it's like rain. Rain is nice, but you have no say on what type of rain it is or when it comes.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    The iPhone is...another typically closed-box, ovesimplified expression of what Apple thinks is right, and they do all they can to make sure you can't stray out of their vision.

I don't think power users (or any others) were clamoring "Please, don't let us install any third party software" "please don't include 3G!!!" "Hey Apple, please make sure I can only use it with iTunes and nothing else!" "Hey Apple, don't forget to make sure bluetooth GPSs don't work with the iPhone, it's going to be awesome!". They just did whatever they thought was the right balance of great product and a way to keep their audience under control, which again, is their typical MO.

They are like a force of nature, it's like rain. Rain is nice, but you have no say on what type of rain it is or when it comes.
    This is a very succinct (and accurate) statement about Apple's market philisophy. Service providers use a modified but similar philosophy. They like the closed box concept and keeping their audience under control, but are not so much concerned about offering great products/services.
    Another thing I NEED in a next generation Treo is 'Video out', so I can plug it into a TV. Many of the most popular Dumb-phones have this now and nearly all digital cameras.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I agree with your assessments on Apple's market philo. It is different, no doubt. It is also one reason that I'm sticking with the Treo. That being said, it is obvious that they have leapfrogged Palm about 7 times in one try here and are exponentially better positioned for the future of mobile computing. Certainly in the more near term where we can see a little.

My original point here was not to promo the iPhone for the 1,000th time, but to point out the glaring fact that Palm does not listen to power users around here. The iPhone hardware and platform are THE BASIS of something that could become very special in the forseeable future. Opening the platform would be a major lure for me, as well as some other hangups for their first attempt.

Palm, OTOH is neither attempting to supply the desires of power users, nor very many others IMO. A platform open to outside development was introduced last century and is still operational. That is nothing that the folks at the helm recently have done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Palm OS, and would love to see the glory return. But, the track record and confusion that reigns supreme at Palm makes that a pretty grim outlook.
    Patrick Horne
    Personally, I am not convinced you can build a power user device on top of the iphone interface.

I just got an iPhone last week. Switching shuffle on/off now is a lot harder than it was on the old iPods. You can't access the random button when it's in horizontal mode, when its in song list mode,etc etc. It's basically very limited with the "fat finger" interfect. It's not designed to be used with finger nail, stylus or any precise pointing device. You have to use the fat finger, and there are very little buttons you can put onto the big 3.5" screen.

You see, Apple never plan to make anything for the power user to begin with so they have more freedom to build a new interface.
  9. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You see, Apple never plan to make anything for the power user to begin with so they have more freedom to build a new interface.
    It's a common misconception that power users can't be satisfied with Macs, but I am a very happy power user and Mac owner. Apple's main software tends to be overly simplified, but yet I am able to accomplish all I want to by supplementing it with 3rd party apps or plug-ins.

This is the problem with the iPhone. It has all of the elegant simplicity and eye candy that Apple is good at, but without the option to enhance and customize it for those who require more. So yes, you're right it's not for power users, but I don't think the fact that it's an Apple product is the reason -- it's because Apple has in this case made the decision to keep the platform closed.
    Well I didn't say anything about the Mac. I have a G4 and I know very well its great for (content creation) professionals.

What I said was specific to the iPhone interface.
    Something hit me the other day that makes me think while we may be frustrated in the delay with Palm producing a true "next generation" device to follow up on the current Treo line, I do believe we will be more than surprised by what actually comes out.

Whatever this device is when we finally see it will be the first time, I believe, since the 3Com days that Hawkins and his team have produced a device where they had direct control of both the hardware and the OS. We can't know for sure, but I think there is a strong possibility that much of Palm's inability to innovate the Treo line has come from having to work with another company which owned the OS, even if you are the largest, or only customer for the vendor. That said building a completely new OS, even with a linux base, is no small undertaking and Palm needs to get this right. They still have enough market position that a winning device will put them right back in the thick of the smarthpone market leadership.

Ultimately I think delaying the device to get the maximum input they can from the new talent that just came on board is the right decision, plus it does give Palm the opportunity to standardize all their products on the same, new platform.

It's taken longer than anyone, I think Palm included, wanted, but knowing that Hawkins knows how to deliver optimal functionality out of mobile computing, knowing that the new talent knows how to put exceptional polish on an end user interface (make it pretty), and that all Palm's resources will be moving to support devices on a consistent platform, I still have very high hopes for what is coming next year.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    ...Ultimately I think delaying the device to get the maximum input they can from the new talent that just came on board is the right decision, plus it does give Palm the opportunity to standardize all their products on the same, new platform.

It's taken longer than anyone, I think Palm included, wanted, but knowing that Hawkins knows how to deliver optimal functionality out of mobile computing, knowing that the new talent knows how to put exceptional polish on an end user interface (make it pretty), and that all Palm's resources will be moving to support devices on a consistent platform, I still have very high hopes for what is coming next year...
    I agree IF they really come out with something new and cutting edge. However, I think Hawkins will be departing before too long. he doesn't live in the world or corporate Palm and they can't afford any more ideas as poorly received as the Foleo was. Time will tell.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I am revisiting this topic, because as I am on my desktop right now, via BT DUN to the Treo 680, there are things that I would love to see in a next gen Treo, much of which if things play right, would be revolutionary on a few levels.

For one, I would like it to not be dependant in any fashion on a desktop/laptop. Meaning simply, syncing should be an option, not a requirement. If one chooses to sync with OL, OWA, Google, or whatever, the next Treo should essentially be all the computer one needs.

The next Treo should NOT be a slider, or flip except in divergant editions. It should get a larger screen though.

The next Treo should be be able to flip between wifi and cellular easily (and no, I'm not a TMob subscriber).

Following with the first idea, certain programs should not need a firmware update to see an update, even if in ROM. Applications such as the web browser, Java Runtime, and even the PIMs should be updateable via specialed updates from Palm (that MyPalm integration would come in handy here).

There should be a button-less Treo that serves as a technological halo model, much like the Tungsten C served for a time (then the T3 held that banner).

From some of the 3rd party developers:
    - I'd love to see a word processing app that would give a page-view preview of an document; along with the ability to edit aspects of that layout which would transfer to desktop viewing/editing
    - A browser that extendds on the current Treo's optimized mode by doing the Mini-Map feature of Nokia/Opera; but also offers a suitable and navigable "desktop" view that meets at least IE7's level of HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $support$.
    - a device wide search/find that relies on an indexing feature and can be called and tailored to any application.

There are probably more, but considering how I use my Treo, these are some of the things that would be revolutinary to me, and if done right, a breath of fresh air even to those still drinking kool-aid.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The next Treo should NOT be a slider, or flip except in divergant editions. It should get a larger screen though.
    Agreed. IMO, the current "real" QWERTY keyboard on todays Treos is as important as the screen/LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The next Treo should be be able to flip between wifi and cellular easily (and no, I'm not a TMob subscriber).
    Evidentally, you didn't read the post on these boards recently about power consumption and WIFI. This wasn't something I thought about until I read this post. WIFI, as we know it now simply will not work given current power cell technology. The battery in my notebook is the size of 3-4 Treos, so it only makes sense that expecting a Treo to do WIFI isn't happening, at this point.

Wifi is definately a need we all share, but some type of new technology needs to be put in place to make it practical for Smartphones.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Evidentally, you didn't read the post on these boards recently about power consumption and WIFI. This wasn't something I thought about until I read this post. WIFI, as we know it now simply will not work given current power cell technology. The battery in my notebook is the size of 3-4 Treos, so it only makes sense that expecting a Treo to do WIFI isn't happening, at this point.

Wifi is definately a need we all share, but some type of new technology needs to be put in place to make it practical for Smartphones.
    I'd say that's overstating the problem a bit. Sure WiFi is a power drain, but that doesn't mean that its useless or pointless in current devices. It is perfectly useful on the Dash and other HTC phones that have it (and of course the iPhone). No you can't use it for 3 hours straight on the Dash, but for 15-30min sessions or more, it is still manageable and useful. And of course if you have an extended battery or a charger, then it really isn't a problem at all. So to say that "it now simply will not work" is a gross exaggeration of the issue... I'd say the bigger issue, also mentioned in previous posts, is the influence of the carriers that don't want WiFi in these devices for obvious reasons -- they want you to buy their data plans instead.
    If HTC can do Wifi in their Dopods, why can't palm in their Treos?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post

Considering that both HTC and Apple have done well with wifi in mobile devices, it is not impossible to think that the next gen Treo will have the software to be able to pull something nice off.

I read too many posts, and have written my fare share of those for and against wifi in Treos. It's not only reasonable to want it, but reasonable still for Palm to be working on it. And I say that having not asked Palm directly about wifi for about a year.

Revolutionary means one of two things, shifting a paradigm or incremental updates. For the most part, the latter has defined mobile computing, and the expectation of many users follows this. I prefer to think on the former as key; and refefining what we thought as being a hallmark of innovation. WiFi is a part of that, WiFi in a mobile device that solves an issue of connectivity and availablity is a bigger part.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Samsung seems to think you can cram wifi into a smartphone - and GPS - all in a very sleek package.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/o...equipped-i780/
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Samsung seems to think you can cram wifi into a smartphone - and GPS - all in a very sleek package.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/o...equipped-i780/
    And if it's like its predecessor, it'll ship with 3 batteries so you can make it through the workday.

Built-in mouse.. wth. Who wants a mouse on their phone???
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The BB Curve has managed to do WiFi with acceptable performance/battery life. I just had one for the past two days (returned it because there other issues I couldn't handle) but it stayed connected to my home network with very little battery drain. Granted I wasn't surfing the web all day (probably a couple of hours total) just staying connected seemed ok.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast