Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the revelation of a 12-18 month wait for Palm's Linux OS, what will be your next phone? The Blackberry Curve is looking niiiicce.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Soon as the curve hits sprint, I'm there.
    geez, I missed a lotta news while waiting 2 weeks for my computer to be fixed, the Foleo got killed and now this
    garinballbarin
    Well I jumped to the Mogul a few months ago which has been ehhh (so-so). I am already bored of it. I've been dying to give the Blackberry 8830 a crack but still can't decide. So I will just wait it out and see what Sprint brings next. It makes me mad that Palm is being plain stupid but for now I don't have much of a choice.
    I'm on for a Samsung SGH-620i....when they're released!

bye bye Palm, its been a pleasure
  6.    #6  
    I would jump for the 8830 (I'm on Sprint) but it doesn't have a camera, and that's a dealbreaker. The Boy Genius report says we should see the BB Curve (8310) with GPS, wi-fi, 2mp camera with flash, micro-sd support, etc. late this year or early '08. I can't wait!
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    With the revelation of a 12-18 month wait for Palm's Linux OS, what will be your next phone? The Blackberry Curve is looking niiiicce.
    I suspect that we'll see something new from Palm first part of 08, or sooner. They simply can't ride the 755P and 750 for much longer. Looking at the Palm website, the 755P and 750 are basically Palm's flagship devices.

Really, they should be showing us something new right now so that we know they are still alive.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Soon as the curve hits sprint, I'm there.
    What does the Blackberry Curve give you that a Treo 755p doesn't?

With the right software (Chatter, Butler, TCPMP, TealLock, Kinoma, Resco Backup) I think the 755p will still be a great phone for a long time to come. As the Mogul showed us, sometime "new" does not equal "better".
    I am getting a Centro the moment it is avaiable. I would like to use an iPhone, a n95 or a P1i on the blazing fast EVDO connection, but I can't. As long as Apple, Nokia and Sony continues to pay half-hearted lip service to the CDMA networks, Palm will not die not matter how incompetent they are.

WM is a more stable but even more clunky alternative to the PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I suspect that we'll see something new from Palm first part of 08, or sooner. They simply can't ride the 755P and 750 for much longer. Looking at the Palm website, the 755P and 750 are basically Palm's flagship devices.

Really, they should be showing us something new right now so that we know they are still alive.
    I wish I had the same expectation, but since Colligan had said the PLinux version was due 2Q08 and is now saying it's well into '09, I've lost hope for something new and leading edge from Palm. Maybe, just maybe, they could do something more with WM, but it'd have to be really major to interest me.

I just can't see another rehash device with POS - even if it is thinner and lighter - it'll still be with an ancient FrankenGarnet POS with Palm's gifts of bugs.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Miss Oregon. I'm going with the curve because of the following possible features:

GPS, ev-do, wi-fi, 2mp camera with flash, micro-sd support, etc.

If these turn up being onboard, I'm done with palm. I hear what you're saying about the 755, but I'm just ready for something different at this point.

I'm not a big palm fan at all anymore. That's being polite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Oregon View Post
    What does the Blackberry Curve give you that a Treo 755p doesn't?

With the right software (Chatter, Butler, TCPMP, TealLock, Kinoma, Resco Backup) I think the 755p will still be a great phone for a long time to come. As the Mogul showed us, sometime "new" does not equal "better".
    I have a 700p and a Nokia E62. The E62 is about to be replaced by the Curve I bought over the weekend, so as far as Curve usability goes, it's too early for me to make any judgements.

Just from the spec sheets, the Curve brings BT 2.0/A2DP, a mini-USB port (data and charging), .1inch wider, but shorter and thinner, 1.6oz lighter, intranet secure web browsing (not important to everyone), personal and corporate email (with BES), Telenav map service built-in, 2.0MP camera with flash, 3.5mm jack, built-in media player. This is out of the box.

On the downside, it doesn't seem to support video or voice recording, is 320x240 (not 320x320), doesn't support MS doc editing (without 3rd party sw?), EDGE vs EVDO and no SlingPlayer.

I'll withold opinions on usability until I've spent more time with the Curve, but out of the box you have to admit it's compelling and avoids the need to buy more add-on software. I've bought many of the apps you listed plus more like ProfileCare, LudusP, and PDAnet to get some of the same functionality, so it's nice to have it builtin. When the Curve lists for less than the Treo and doesn't need addt'l software, it's even more compelling.

Everybody has different needs, but the Curve seems to meet most of mine. If they come to Sprint, I'd likely be done with Palm for good. Sad after 10 years, but their just not competitive anymore IMO.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  13.    #13  
    Not to mention that Garnet is friggin' OLD people. It's old, it's clunky and doesn't multitask like the Curve, the 755 is fatter and less "sleek", and let's not even start on the specs. A2DP, turn-by-turn GPS navigation, 2.0mp camera with flash, and the rock solid performance of the Blackberry?

I go back with Palm to about 1996, but it's time wake up. Maybe in 2009 I'll re-visit, assuming they're even around then. And I'd much rather go BB than have to deal with Window mobile.
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    And I'd much rather go BB than have to deal with Window mobile.
    My thoughts exactly. I'd prefer a Palm OS II Treo, but would go with a BB pearl or curve before even thinking about a WM device. We are not alone in this respect adjmcloon. Palm better step up SOON or they are going to lose alot of people just like us. I'd bet that most users who prefer POS would opt for a BB before going with a WM Treo.

Guess what Palm. If you really aren't going to come out with a replacement for Garnet until 2009, you are going to LOSE most all of your loyal Garnet users. This is very unfortunate indeed.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The Palm OS is already dead. Save your breath and effort. Just keep focusing on WM, or even license the Mac OS, and come up with a new design that will WOW the world.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  16.    #16  
    Symbian doesn't really seem all that bad either, especially when mated to something sexy like the Nokia N95. Anything but Win-mobe.

If Apple ends up licensing OS X Mobile (or whatever) then the game is over. If the next-gen Iphone ends up being opened up for 3rd party apps, I'd jump that way as well. The Iphone is sexy as hell, but I do need the extra functionality that my 700p provides currently. I suspect the 2nd or 3rd gen Iphone will be hurting Palm significantly, especially considering the 12-18 month wait on their new "super phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Everybody has different needs, but the Curve seems to meet most of mine. If they come to Sprint...
    Curve 2 is coming to Sprint, probably Q1 2008 (and obviously the Perl is coming in the next two months)

Usual specs: aGPS ("telenav"), camera, BT, etc. Definitely no Wifi though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Curve 2 is coming to Sprint, probably Q1 2008 (and obviously the Perl is coming in the next two months)

Usual specs: aGPS ("telenav"), camera, BT, etc. Definitely no Wifi though.
    Is there a source on this? Or just rumor?
  19.    #19  
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...ng-day-weekend

Bottom part of the article..we'll see. If the Curve hits Sprint, I am jumping.
    Wrong forum then.. Who cares.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast