Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    According to this Brighthand Article the delays with a Linux-based OS are being extended. Significantly. Like another 12 -18 months! So think 2009 for a linux release. This company wants to kill itself! They've got the tools for world domination at their fingertips yet they insist on shooting themselves in the foot every chance they get.
    Software coding is quite unpredictable. How many times have we seen software developers postpone their release dates. Even MS Vista was not released at the scheduled date. If you stick too much to the release date, you might find yourself releasing a buggy software, which will have more adverse effects on the company than a postponed release.

Rambo47, you are saying what I wanted to say in my previous post:- Palm Inc., why spend so much time & energy trying to finish a new Linux based OS when it is ready at hand from Access. Time is money, time is survival.

Quote from your linked page:
    2007 February ACCESS releases Linux Platform PD.
    April Ed Colligan reveals Linux plan.

PS. If I am not mistaken, the dispute between Palm Inc & Access was that the latter did not come out with the Linux OS within the expected delays. History repeats itself...

John
    Last edited by Brjlk; 09/16/2007 at 10:00 AM.
    Leonardo, Listpro, Agendus12, Phone Magic, Adarian Money, Ultrasoft Money, Lightwave 2.4

SMS Scheduler, FunSMS, SMS Counter, PictureSMS 1.01B2, Butler, Phone Technician

Resco Backup, Resco Photo Viewer, Mobilewrite, Text Plus, Card Reader,SlovoEd Dict.

Project @ Hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    why spend so much time & energy trying to finish a new Linux based OS when it is ready at hand from Access. Time is money, time is survival.
    You're right, time is money and time is survival, but, what about licensing fees and having to do what THEY want instead of what YOU want?

If Palm is that close to finishing up their product, why dig yourself deeper into a hole by licensing someone else's software? When you own your own software, you have complete control over it and there's a higher margin because you don't have to pay all the fees associated with it.

Who knows, maybe Palm didn't like Access' version of it, or it wasn't where they were going.

Gosh, can't you people just sit back and wait. I feel like I'm hanging out with armchair quarterbacks. If y'all are that insightful in all of this, why not go and apply with Palm and tell them what they need to do...or start up your own smartphone company (I know I'm going to get slammed by that last comment ).
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    If Palm is that close to finishing up their product, why dig yourself deeper into a hole by licensing someone else's software? When you own your own software, you have complete control over it and there's a higher margin because you don't have to pay all the fees associated with it.
    I would like to know what licensing fees (per unit hardware manufactured, I suppose) are for the moment for WM, Palm and Symbian. Anyone got an idea?

Note that Palm Inc will not license it's OS to anyone. Just imagine MS builds it's own smartphones or PDAs and license it's WM OS to no one else. Would Windows Mobile have as much success as it has today?
    So Palm will have to put much effort writing an OS for it's already limited sales of hardware. In other words is this not a more expensive alternative to licensing from someone else?

John
    Last edited by Brjlk; 09/16/2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Leonardo, Listpro, Agendus12, Phone Magic, Adarian Money, Ultrasoft Money, Lightwave 2.4

Resco Backup, Resco Photo Viewer, Mobilewrite, Text Plus, Card Reader,SlovoEd Dict.

Project @ Hand
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If you license someone elses OS it makes it very hard to differentiate your products to those of the other licensees. If you have your own OS which only runs on your hardware then you have more control and can add features to give you an advantage over your competitors.
    Symbian is between $8 and 15, WM between $10 and $15.

Surur
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Symbian is between $8 and 15, WM between $10 and $15.

Surur
    Is that much?
    Any shareware costs between $15-25. As for me I have already paid for more than 20 times this amount in third party apps.

John

Project @ Hand
    Is that much?
    Any shareware costs between $15-25

John
    I'm sure when you purchase millions of licenses, the price goes down. Still seems like a lot, if you take into consideration how many phones are sold and how much the rest of the phone costs. Remember, there's a lot of R&D that goes into these phones, so most of the price of the phone really goes to pay all that back.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    If you license someone elses OS it makes it very hard to differentiate your products to those of the other licensees. If you have your own OS which only runs on your hardware then you have more control and can add features to give you an advantage over your competitors.
    The Sony Clies were among the best in terms of stability, build quality and innovation and they licensed their OS from Palm.

John

Project @ Hand
    The Sony Clies were among the best in terms of stability, build quality and innovation and they licensed their OS from Palm.

John
    And are they around any more? Sure, they were great, but most would rather buy a Palm OS on a Palm product. Licensing also took away a part of their margin that they needed to remain competitive in the marketplace.
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Are you serious? Do you know how much hassle that will be? They'll have to train everyone to support ALP and THEN train them to support POS II. What about the customers and developers? I know I would be annoyed if Palm kept shuffling OSs around like that. It's one thing when they're changing it to evolve, but just to put something new for a short period of time isn't feasable.
    Palm will spread themselves far to thing by trying to support their own operating system. They are currently licensing WM and doing fine in that market. Why not do the same with a linux based OS? Letting someone else build and maintain the core OS would free Palm up to develop new hardware to compete in the market place and to built a UI on top of these OS's that will compete in the market place.

What is wrong with this? Right now, Palm's devices are quickly falling behind the competition. I think it goes without saying that this is because they wasted a bunch of resources on the Foleo.

Let's say Palm is developing it's own OS in house, seperate from ALP. What is going to happen when it's done? Are they just going to dump it like they did Foleo Linux? How many thousands of man-hours did Palm waste developing Foleo Linux, only to scrap it days before the device was to be released. These thousands of man-hours could have been spent coming up with a device to compete with the iphone.

Instead, what does Palm have that can do head to head with Apple? NOTHING.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Most of the Smartphone models on the market right now are using the same OS. What differentitates them? What gives them the edge over their competitors? It is the hardware, form factor, UI improvements, apps, etc, etc.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    And are they around any more? Sure, they were great, but most would rather buy a Palm OS on a Palm product. Licensing also took away a part of their margin that they needed to remain competitive in the marketplace.
    If they are no more around is because the Clies were too sophisticated, too expensive for the mass. Sony has forecasted that the market will be with the smartphone rather that with the standalone unconnected PDA.

Also, I believe that Sony found there was more prospects teaming up with Ericsson on the Symbian platform than staying with Palm.

Just my opinion.

John

Project @ Hand
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Am I missing something or is does Access already have exactly what Palm is trying to recreate?

http://www.access-company.com/products/linux/alp.html

This web page says this version of Mobile Linux also runs native Garnet apps.

Why doesn't Palm just use the and focus on creating new hardware?
    Hi Greg.
    Palm would never touch ALP because Palm wants to control its own OS.
    Also, ALP is still vaporware. Don't forget: we saw plenty of screen shots and demos of Cobalt and we all know what happened to that OS, right?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12