Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The bulk of Palm's software development spending is thus now aimed squarely at revamping Palm OS5 to work on a Linux core. But even that may be slipping: though earlier Colligan said that would appear in 2008, Palm this week told the Guardian "it will be 12 to 18 months" before a Linux Palm appears.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...logysection.it

Is PalmLinux dead?

Surur
    I don't know, but in 18 months Palm may be.

Can't SOMEONE build a fully featured, customizable smartphone that supports all modern technology but isn't the kludge that WinMob is?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    No, Palm is dead. They don't have that much time IMO. They needed something this year, Q1 '08 at latest. '09 is way too far out.

Not saying that it's time to pack up and go, but if anyone wanted a reason now and haven't left already, you might want to book your flight to another mobile device platform.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Why do we have to leave? Why does everyone say "Palm is dead, time to switch to another device?"

Last I checked, Sprint was providing my service. I paid Palm their share almost 2 years ago and I really don't need them anymore. Would I like a new, sleek, Linux based device in February when it's time for me to upgrade? Of course! But, if it's not there, I'll probably just keep using my 700p until one comes out or something better comes along (*cough* iPhone *cough*).

Palm could turn the key on their shop tomorrow and it wouldn't affect me one bit. There would still be 3rd party programs out there to enhance it. Two years from now, Palm could open back up and I wouldn't have even know they were gone.
    LOL they can find another favorite of Linux distro to lincense off.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Why do we have to leave? Why does everyone say "Palm is dead, time to switch to another device?"

Last I checked, Sprint was providing my service. I paid Palm their share almost 2 years ago and I really don't need them anymore. Would I like a new, sleek, Linux based device in February when it's time for me to upgrade? Of course! But, if it's not there, I'll probably just keep using my 700p until one comes out or something better comes along (*cough* iPhone *cough*).

Palm could turn the key on their shop tomorrow and it wouldn't affect me one bit. There would still be 3rd party programs out there to enhance it. Two years from now, Palm could open back up and I wouldn't have even know they were gone.
    Actually, if Palm were to close up shop, there is very little that US law can do to guarantee you service. Carriers can also deny service if in the stated contract with Palm that Palm would be the one to provide any aspects of service. Technically speaking, you never pay Palm anything, the carriers paid, and you pay them monthly.

The statement is not "Palm is dead, gotta switch" but rather, "Palm is dead, this company does not exist to provide any solutions anymore." If Palm (or any device manufacturer) cannot design a competitive device to not only turn a profit, but also intice new customers, then it is essentially dead. Companies exist to make profit, not to create a following.

Third party programs can and do only go but so far. Ask those who own a Newton how much fun it is to have a device that was once on the cutting edge, but when it was dropped how they were left to fend for themselves. Doable? Yes. But you also wouldn't want to have your device that you use everyday to be under the warranty protection and support of "customer" would you?

Simply stated, if Palm cannot address the issues of missteps from this and previous years by creating a compelling, and not rewrapped product from an ODM pile, then it is effectively saying that it cannot compete and therefore has no prospects of profit. If there is no profit in Palm, what reason then should it burn money to stay alive si vous plait?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The statement is not "Palm is dead, gotta switch" but rather, "Palm is dead, this company does not exist to provide any solutions anymore."
    Palm has a solution.

From the same article:
    But will it be enough? Delays could be critical to the future of Palm OS in a market where larger handset suppliers such as Motorola already have Linux-based offerings. However Palm has an alternative to Palm OS that, from the company's perspective, is a runaway bestseller. Palm licensed Windows Mobile from Microsoft and put it into a range of phones that only started shipping early last year. Colligan told analysts recently that sales had risen so far and fast that almost half of Palm's smartphone shipments used Microsoft's product. Late last year Palm committed to buying 1m licences a year from Microsoft for 2007 and 2008; in the past year, Palm shipped close to 3m smartphone handsets. Absent Linux, Windows "remains a key part of our strategy", Palm says.

Simply stated, if Palm cannot address the issues of missteps from this and previous years by creating a compelling, and not rewrapped product from an ODM pile, then it is effectively saying that it cannot compete and therefore has no prospects of profit. If there is no profit in Palm, what reason then should it burn money to stay alive si vous plait?
    This not given. If Palm gave up on its fools errand and concentrate on actually fully exploiting the vibrant platform it does have they could do a lot better.

Surur
    Palm's status can't be all bad because Morgan Keegan just upgraded Palm stock to "outperform" citing that their '08 lineup looks more promising than their '07 offerings. Check it out: http://www.newratings.com/analyst_ne...e_1611653.html
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    yeah, I saw that 12-18. Worrisome. OTOH, it COULD mean that the stuff is being sent out to carriers to testing soon.

http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=196

the linked article suggests that point (and a whole lot more). Must Read.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    yeah, I saw that 12-18. Worrisome. OTOH, it COULD mean that the stuff is being sent out to carriers to testing soon.
    One would have to define "soon". Many people have said carrier testing takes much less that 6 months these days, meaning a device may still be a year from leaving Palm's workshop.

I find the rest of the article to be a lot of conspiracy theories, especially the part about signed applications.

Surur
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    How in the world can it take 12 to 18 months? Has Palm not been working on Linux at all over the past several months?? A mountian can literally be move in less time than that or is the Bureaucracy involved in producing a phone that bad?
    That's disappointing. It sounds like they're at the end stage of OS development and the beginning stage of phone development. I'm glad they told us now. Otherwise, I might have put off buying another phone, waiting month after month for news on when I could upgrade my Treo. I might choose to abandon ship, but I have no illusions about the ship sinking.

On the bright side, the Linux Treo is being developed with full knowledge of what the iPhone and WM6 can do, and the new talent will play a big role in shaping it.
    Developing a smartphone OS is one of the Black Arts. For every model of handset (dumb, feature or smart) the carriers pile on their revenue-producing change orders. Then there's the FCC. If a 3G radio, then there's the ITC ban to dance around. Somewhere in all of this is ongoing testing; blackbox, whitebox, prototypes, various iterations of test units when they get closer to an actual product. Neither simple nor speedy.
    Even if they don't release this magical Linux based OS, they can still keep releasing devices with WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    One would have to define "soon". Many people have said carrier testing takes much less that 6 months these days, meaning a device may still be a year from leaving Palm's workshop.

I find the rest of the article to be a lot of conspiracy theories, especially the part about signed applications.

Surur
    the conspiracy stuff, yes, i agree. but the stuff about palm's decision tree that led to the boneheaded move of having 2 linux platforms.. It's probably not right that it was a carrier-forced move, but I do think Beers is on to something...
    Wow...12 to 18 months? What are they smoking? These guys are their own worst enemy.

That said, I know everyone thinks that they are dead, but there is quite a bit of hyperbole going on here, on other forums, and in the press. Yes, Palm's OS is stale, hasn't changed significantly in years, and lacks a range of desirable features like multi-tasking...but at present, their phones are still the best choice in my opinion. That situation may change in the next 6 to 12 months, but I stick by my guns today...and I have used any number of other win mob devices and iPhones. My Treo 700p whips the pants off of my friends' iPhones, T-mobile dashes, etc. Yes, the standard OS looks bad in the UI department in comparison, but a few replacement applications for the launcher and dialer help there. Regardless, I pay for and carry the beast to do things...not look pretty...and my Treo is a work (and entertainment) horse.

My friends show me their iPhones and it's slicky spinning widgets and I show them how I an enter a calendar entry in two seconds...while they take 2 minutes. Can you just click on a timeband and start entering text directly on the iPhone? No? Got a global find? No. Cut and paste? No. Applications to take advantage of cut and paste? Not really.

I then demonstrate a task list, which they lack, and a memo application that actually synchs, unlike their iPhones' notes application. One friend tried to convince me that he didn't need a task list because he can use a web application for the function...and then he literally spent 5 minutes bringing up the page, logging in, and then surfing (painfully slowly) through several pages to try and enter a single task. I can do the same in seconds.

Weather, stocks, google maps, you tube...I've got it all...and more. Yes, I can (and do) use my Treo for MP3s and movies as they can do, but I also watch live TV on SprintTV and MobiTV...and listen to streaming internet radio. My new TakePhone application blows their phone apps away...especially when searching is involved. I can create and edit Word and Excel docs. The iPhone can't. I can record video, send pictures through text messages, have a local IM client and dozens of other functions that they lack. Yes, I lack wifi...and I don't really need it. I have 3G with an unlimited data plan.

WinMob 6? Have you folks used it? Did you actually find it enjoyable? Intuitive? Easy to navigate?

Yes, Palm has been bringing us evolutionary phones for nearly half a decade...and it is going to kill them, but IMHO it's a huge exaggeration to say that their current phone offerings are that far behind everyone else from a functionality POV.

If Palm was smart, they would branch the development team and assign one group to just revamp the UI. A new group of widgets, a new launcher, a new phone app, and presto...lipstick on the same old pig...and most folks (present company excepted) would be happy...especially if they added a 2 or 3 MP camera and some other hardware tweaks. Memory? I would still rather have an SD slot (standard size, not mini/micro) rather than a larger amount of fixed memory...but that's just my preference.

Still though, 12 to 18 months. They are nuts. They should be there already. They have/had WindRiver and Access in their pockets and just look at what other folks like OpenMoko are doing. These guys are clowns...but I am going to stick with their phones until something better comes along.

Your mileage may vary.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Maybe this is the norm, but they're letting us know earlier than other developers, to help keep us calm.

The only phone that I know that's come out recently is the iPhone (I'd like to use another example, we're always comparing it to the Treo, but Palm and Apple are the only ones I really keep up with). That phone was in development for a LONG time, going back many many years. Sure, we heard little bits of information, but it wasn't really launched until about 6 months before actual shipping.

Palm on the other hand has been letting us know about things for a while. Sure, their Foleo thing probably slowed down production, but other things come up that delay production. Maybe this is the same situation as other phones, but the way they're publicizing it gives us a different view of the whole situation.
    yeah in 12-18 mos. I will be using my 2nd gen Google phone!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Palm's Linux phone has been 12-18 months away for several years now. Please. I'm not expecting anything new from these guys anymore. I'm betting they just keep cranking out hardware and slapping WM on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcobb View Post
    I'm betting they just keep cranking out hardware and slapping WM on it.
    Well, that's better than the cricky-old Palm OS!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast