Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41  
    As long as palm will release another win mob device with the reliability of my 700wx, but with WM6, I'll be happy. If HTC or someone else makes something that I like when it is time for me to upgrade, that is fine too.

    IDGAF what palm does with the Palm OS... at this point, I don't see where it matters anymore.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  2. #42  
    WM6 supports 320x320 so maybe Palm should start releasing Treos with WM6 Pro. and 320x320 or higher displays.
  3. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    WM6 supports 320x320 so maybe Palm should start releasing Treos with WM6 Pro. and 320x320 or higher displays.
    WM has it's share of issues, most of which is the UI. It's much less user friendly than POS and RIM. For this reason alone, I'd never own a WM phone.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  4. #44  
    Have you ever owned a WM device? How long did you own it / use it? The 700WX was a great unit and most people would agree. Once Palm can release a WM6 Pro. device with a resolution greater than 240x240 and keep the stability and ease of use they had with the 700WX, they'll have a winner.
  5. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Have you ever owned a WM device? How long did you own it / use it? The 700WX was a great unit and most people would agree. Once Palm can release a WM6 Pro. device with a resolution greater than 240x240 and keep the stability and ease of use they had with the 700WX, they'll have a winner.
    Yes, I have two of them and a Window CE machine. I bought the Windows CE machine about 3 years ago.

    I bought a Treo 700wx and packed it around for about a week before returning it for a BB8830. This is what really sealed the deal for me with respect to WM smartphones. The 700WX fits certain people perfectly, while others not so good. I'm one of the not so good people. I want my smartphone to be very simple and easy to use with one hand. I can do this with my 700P, but not with the 700wx (I had to pull out the stylus alot). It's not that I'm computer impaired, but that I want/need a simple interface for my smartphone. Most of the time I really need to use it, I need to use it with one hand. If Palm could create a UI that would give me a "POS" type interface, then I'd be 100% for it.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Yes, I have two of them and a Window CE machine. I bought the Windows CE machine about 3 years ago.

    I bought a Treo 700wx and packed it around for about a week before returning it for a BB8830. This is what really sealed the deal for me with respect to WM smartphones. The 700WX fits certain people perfectly, while others not so good. I'm one of the not so good people. I want my smartphone to be very simple and easy to use with one hand. I can do this with my 700P, but not with the 700wx (I had to pull out the stylus alot). It's not that I'm computer impaired, but that I want/need a simple interface for my smartphone. Most of the time I really need to use it, I need to use it with one hand. If Palm could create a UI that would give me a "POS" type interface, then I'd be 100% for it.
    The only time I have to use a stylus is with the calendar... contacts and email (the two things I use the most) I use with one hand.

    When I first purchased the 700wx, I actually kept my verizon (regular phone) and palm TX for six months to make sure... The only issue I have with the 700wx is the radio, and I think that is more of a sprint issue since I went from sprint to verizon.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. amakh007's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #47  
    If Apple has 16 GB 3G iphone in US before Palm has new high end phone, Palm is done....the race is on....
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I read that article and the original comment it was based on. The current headline is a masterful example of spin. What Peter Chou was ACTUALLY says was why he could NOT do linux now, not that he's rearing to do it
    This one?

    He's quoted there as saying it's a "great challenge" - not quite the same as not being able to do it at all.

    "HTC is still paying close attention to the latest developments in Linux technology since Linux has been in the IT industry for a long period of time, Chou said" does seem a bit ambiguous. Could be paying attention because Linux is a competitor, could be because they're considering it.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    The reason Mac lost market share to PC is Apple kept the OS to themselves. They have learned their lessons, and don't be surprised every smartphone will be runnig the OS X.
    I'll have some of that if you're offering decent odds
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    If Apple has 16 GB 3G iphone in US before Palm has new high end phone, Palm is done....the race is on....
    Talk about hyperbole.

    The iPhone will be on AT&T for at least the next 5 years. The entire U.S. cell phone population is not switching to AT&T when a 3g iPhone comes out as most people don't give a hoot about doing all that on a phone to begin with.

    Sprint and Verizon have a much better 3g network (and pretty soon 4g) than AT&T and there is tons of room left for smartphone growth in the U.S., including new OSs now and in the future.

    Fact is, having just "high end" phones does not guarantee anything. Motorola cannot turn a profit despite the Q and the whole Razr/Krzr series and they have nothing of the sort for a "high end" smartphone.

    The smartphone business is just starting, not ending.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/17/2007 at 11:26 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. amakh007's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Talk about hyperbole.

    The iPhone will be on AT&T for at least the next 5 years. The entire U.S. cell phone population is not switching to AT&T when a 3g iPhone comes out as most people don't give a hoot about doing all that on a phone to begin with.

    Sprint and Verizon have a much better 3g network (and pretty soon 4g) than AT&T and there is tons of room left for smartphone growth in the U.S., including new OSs now and in the future.

    Fact is, having just "high end" phones does not guarantee anything. Motorola cannot turn a profit despite the Q and the whole Razr/Krzr series and they have nothing of the sort for a "high end" smartphone.

    The smartphone business is just starting, not ending.
    I am talking about early adopters and high tech subgroup. Sure not everyone is going to get an iphone, but not everyone is going to get a Treo either. I have always had the new treos and love sprints Powervision. But there are LOT of treo users that want to make that switch to the iphone. 3G and 16GB are the only things we are waiting for. If Palm comes out with a new treo 800p that runs on 4g, great! If Apple beats them, there are a lot of us treo users that will bail....me included....
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    This one?

    He's quoted there as saying it's a "great challenge" - not quite the same as not being able to do it at all.

    "HTC is still paying close attention to the latest developments in Linux technology since Linux has been in the IT industry for a long period of time, Chou said" does seem a bit ambiguous. Could be paying attention because Linux is a competitor, could be because they're considering it.
    Nothing wrong with making Linux devices; isn't that the basis of the Google rumour. That does not mean the article is 180 degrees from the original intent, which was at a 10th anniversary of their founding, attended by Microsoft.

    Surur
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    I am talking about early adopters and high tech subgroup. Sure not everyone is going to get an iphone, but not everyone is going to get a Treo either. I have always had the new treos and love sprints Powervision. But there are LOT of treo users that want to make that switch to the iphone. 3G and 16GB are the only things we are waiting for. If Palm comes out with a new treo 800p that runs on 4g, great! If Apple beats them, there are a lot of us treo users that will bail....me included....
    ...and there's more to the world of "smartphones" than iPhone or Treo, including all WM devices, Symbian, Moto's linux platform and the upcoming Google phone.

    Saying there are "LOT of Treo users" who want to switch is not an argument as there is not much evidence to support it.

    You are simply speaking for yourself, not for others here at TC, lets be clear on that.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14. #54  
    12 to 18 months???

    Then they gotta take the bulk of E.Partners money and hire more people, cut that down by 2/3 by running three 8-hour shifts 24/7 'til it's done! Or they may be (done, that is).

    Running one shift, closing the doors at 5pm, is a luxury they can't afford... unless they want to close the doors permanently.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  15. amakh007's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...and there's more to the world of "smartphones" than iPhone or Treo, including all WM devices, Symbian, Moto's linux platform and the upcoming Google phone.

    Saying there are "LOT of Treo users" who want to switch is not an argument as there is not much evidence to support it.

    You are simply speaking for yourself, not for others here at TC, lets be clear on that.
    Sure...whatever you say....I have been a poster and Palm fan here since 2002. I have plenty of palm users that I have known and converted over the years on this site and others. I am telling you that I am one of the few left. Most have bailed out on the clunky palm os. If you don't want to believer that there out LOTS of people about to bail on the Treo for the iphone, that is your call.....but Palm the business better realize they have a brief window to put out a new product.....
  16. #56  
    Well-said, amakh007. Most of my colleagues are switching from treos and the palm platform as well.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    Sure...whatever you say....I have been a poster and Palm fan here since 2002. I have plenty of palm users that I have known and converted over the years on this site and others. I am telling you that I am one of the few left. Most have bailed out on the clunky palm os. If you don't want to believer that there out LOTS of people about to bail on the Treo for the iphone, that is your call.....but Palm the business better realize they have a brief window to put out a new product.....
    PalmOS died about 6-8 months after WM5 was introduced on the market (even before then it was outdated/unstable but had no competition).

    You said
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    If Apple has 16 GB 3G iphone in US before Palm has new high end phone, Palm is done....the race is on....
    Half of Palm's Treos (I'd argue the good half) are WM and that is growing month by month in comparison to POS. That was done in 1.5 years. I'm not sure why POS users always forget that.

    Palm is not "done" if a 3g iPhone comes out. The iPhone is not applicable for BB users (WM does BES), Push email (Exchange), Meeting requests, encryption, secure VOIP or just about anything corporations and businesses need.

    Some POS users will switch to WM (treo or other), Symbian, iPhone, BB, Google Phone or any of the linux OSs coming out. Some will hold onto POS. Other will wait for or return to POSII if it actually comes out.

    The iPhone is not a monolithic, all encompassing competitor in the smartphone business, especially with it "officially" being carrier locked, on 1 carrier, no official 3rd party programs and little applicability for business.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/17/2007 at 03:30 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    I am talking about early adopters and high tech subgroup. Sure not everyone is going to get an iphone, but not everyone is going to get a Treo either. I have always had the new treos and love sprints Powervision. But there are LOT of treo users that want to make that switch to the iphone. 3G and 16GB are the only things we are waiting for. If Palm comes out with a new treo 800p that runs on 4g, great! If Apple beats them, there are a lot of us treo users that will bail....me included....
    I'm one of the ones that love both Palm and Apple. For now, I'm sticking with my Treo, mainly because of carrier issue, but also I'm happy with it and I really don't want to spend too much if I'm happy where I am.

    I'm not sure about there being a lot that are waiting for 3G and 16GB just to switch to the iPhone. 3G, maybe. I know I love my EV-DO, but I could slow down a bit for something like that. 16GB though? C'mon, most don't carry around more than 2GB with them in their Treos anyway.

    If Apple could bring to market a smartphone, or at least a smarter-than-most phone, on the Sprint network with a reasonable price tag, I'd jump on it, mainly because I'm a geeky techy guy, but also, I love how well Apple integrates it's products. For instance, to sync my Treo with my MacBook, I have to purchase The Missing Sync and PocketTunes Deluxe (for AAC playback and syncing). It's a pain, when there are options out there that "just work."
  19. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    PalmOS died about 6-8 months after WM5 was introduced on the market (even before then it was outdated/unstable but had no competition).

    You said

    Half of Palm's Treos (I'd argue the good half) are WM and that is growing month by month in comparison to POS. That was done in 1.5 years. I'm not sure why POS users always forget that.

    Palm is not "done" if a 3g iPhone comes out. The iPhone is not applicable for BB users (WM does BES), Push email (Exchange), Meeting requests, encryption, secure VOIP or just about anything corporations and businesses need.

    Some POS users will switch to WM (treo or other), Symbian, iPhone, BB, Google Phone or any of the linux OSs coming out. Some will hold onto POS. Other will wait for or return to POSII if it actually comes out.

    The iPhone is not a monolithic, all encompassing competitor in the smartphone business, especially with it "officially" being carrier locked, on 1 carrier, no official 3rd party programs and little applicability for business.
    Exactly, Malatesta. I have been here on TC a long time also. I love it when someone declares they have the definitive answer on what will happen in the marketplace.

    The smartest statement you made was "The smartphone business is just starting, not ending." It seems that some people believe that the race for smartphone dominance was over with the introduction of the iPhone. Not by a long shot.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    ...snip...

    The iPhone is not a monolithic, all encompassing competitor in the smartphone business, especially with it "officially" being carrier locked, on 1 carrier, no official 3rd party programs and little applicability for business.
    I think the reason everyone's getting excited about the iPhone is because it's a device that's sort of made for the above average user. Many of them bought Treos because they needed more functionality than a RAZR, but it was too much phone for them....me possibly included in that bunch. Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo, and it's going to be hard for me to switch, but I'm not a "power user." I only user Versamail when I'm waiting on an important email to come in, or I'm bored. I don't use it to edit documents, because, honestly, it's a bit annoying to use for that. And I don't use it for media because I don't have an easy way of syncing that part with my computer.

    A "simpler" smartphone would suit me fine, but they're hard to find with all the features I need.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions