Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Palm might be better off by focusing on WM or even licensing Apple's OS.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    I totally agree, mikecc. Hell, even symbian.
    You guys has to don't know anything about Apple history to even suggest licensing an Apple OS. Power Computing anyone?
    Why won't they license ALP? Pride?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Why won't they license ALP? Pride?
    The whole Palm Linux initiative is about having their own OS. Just licensing another OS would negate the point of the effort.

Surur
  6.    #26  
    This is oddly (and scarily) appropriate for Palm.

http://images.despair.com/products/d...s/planning.jpg

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Plus ALP is still in development and it could be another 6 months before we see devices running it.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Nice.

The licensing deal with Access, which allowed Palm to modify the source code, was announced in 12/06. Palm had said that it takes about a year to develop the OS, and another year to produce a phone. And 12/08 is consistent with the current 12-to-18-month timeframe. So apparently, Palm didn't begin working on its Linux OS until 12/06, even though the concept was much discussed long before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Actually, if Palm were to close up shop, there is very little that US law can do to guarantee you service. Carriers can also deny service if in the stated contract with Palm that Palm would be the one to provide any aspects of service. Technically speaking, you never pay Palm anything, the carriers paid, and you pay them monthly.
    Funny that the first phones from Handspring did not have the support of any carrier and they still worked. Why the carriers may not sell phones, there is zero chance they won't allow them on their network.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Palm OS is dead. The reason Mac lost market share to PC is Apple kept the OS to themselves. They have learned their lessons, and don't be surprised every smartphone will be runnig the OS X. Watch out for Apple, iphone is just their first product to test the smartphone market. Apple is a monster, it wants more than just ipod and iphone.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?

Surur
    Palm should focus on delivering a product that leverages what they
    do best - rebooting. I've never seen any computing device the
    reboots as frequently as my Treo 700p. They need to deliver the next
    dream device for a new market niche: Power Rebooters. The next
    Treo should reboot more often, and perhaps play a randomly selected
    song or snippet of video as it reboots, instead of the Orange of Death.
    No other manufacturer has a machine doing that, as far as I can tell.
    It's a real opportunity that can keep them going until they introduce
    the Penguin of Death in 2067.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    Palm OS is dead. The reason Mac lost market share to PC is Apple kept the OS to themselves. They have learned their lessons, and don't be surprised every smartphone will be runnig the OS X. Watch out for Apple, iphone is just their first product to test the smartphone market. Apple is a monster, it wants more than just ipod and iphone.
    Keep tootin' your Steve-branded iPhone horn, but yeah, toot it on a relevant forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Funny that the first phones from Handspring did not have the support of any carrier and they still worked. Why the carriers may not sell phones, there is zero chance they won't allow them on their network.
    The first GSM phones from Handspring did have to go thru tier 1 (level 1, whatever you want to call it) authorization to be used. If the VisorPhone reached critical mass (aka, more than the niche group that smarpthone users all currently belong to), then there would have been more shouts about its use by carriers. As it was, there were not that many users for a carrier to care.

I am not sure of hand, but I believe that the VisorPhone ran on Sprint's network. I am sure that the first Treos were Sprint and VZW, then GSM came later. Without carrier approval, nothing runs on their networks.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I think what is really being said here is that the Palm devs are trying to figure out how to sit garnet on top of Linux. These seems like a great move as it provides backward compatibility with current Palm apps.

Technically, Palm OS is going to go away, but support for it will remain through some time of VM layer in Palm Linux.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    The reason Mac lost market share to PC is Apple kept the OS to themselves. They have learned their lessons, and don't be surprised every smartphone will be runnig the OS X.
    I seriously doubt that will happen. Apple likes to keep their OS on their own hardware. It makes their job easier, as far as support, and it also keeps it easier to develop their OSs. Just think about all the different brands of phones out there, it would be a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Plus ALP is still in development and it could be another 6 months before we see devices running it.
    f

If another company releases a "Treo" with Alps and the Palm OS, Palm will have to leaving the sinking ship (and to be sure if they are not close to market with their Treo Linux). The Palm OS and Access still belong to Acess I believe. Let HTC bring forth a "Linux Treo". At present I do not think that is going to happen but I wish it would. Palm has wasted so much time and monies on Cobalt 6, the Foleo, purchasing the Palm name. We could have had our linux treo's in hand today except the the lack of vision of Palm. It is very difficult to see the management decisions that were made. Maybe all the board were yes men. Hopefully with some Apple blood things could change.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Let HTC bring forth a "Linux Treo". At present I do not think that is going to happen but I wish it would.
    lol

"HTC looking for a Linux mobile partner?"

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18.    #38  
    I read that article and the original comment it was based on. The current headline is a masterful example of spin. What Peter Chou was ACTUALLY says was why he could NOT do linux now, not that he's rearing to do it.

Surur
    Palm didn't waste money on Cobalt. They never licensed it from PalmSource, nor did anyone else.

Palm lost a lot of time due to PalmSource's inability to complete any OS successor to Garnet. I do wonder how they (now Access) are really coming along with ALP, not that anyone has licensed that either, and it won't be Palm.
    12 to 18 months, huh?

Let's see - that'll be enough time for Ed Colligan and Palm to release the 400 and single digit series of Treos, filling in all those gaps they've missed in its evolution to date.
    The 500 just released, so that's one gap about to filled - and then there is the alternating release dates which involves either an OS or radio format change. As to be expected with Palm, none of the changes will be anything but cosmetic.

Heck, 12 to 18 months means we've probably got at least another 8 Treos that Palm will try and flog before anything substantive shows up from them - and just how far ahead will RIM, Symbian and Apple smartphones be by then?

In truth, I have no real problem with the PalmOS. It once had the reputation of being elegant, simple and stable - and with little real effort, Palm could bring all those features back and still be cutting edge. But its failure to read the marketplace, to build for wireless companies and not the end users, its failure to be up-to-speed with current computer OSs that their devices must communicate with, its ability to built poorly designed devices badly, to withdraw programs and features on each 'new' device and Desktop, to pull back on Support to near non-existence and finally, to build devices that engender neither love nor lust simply means its hard to defend the Company or justify buying their products.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast