Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It looks like I might be wrong as to the iPhone coming out after the 500. According to cNet there is a strong possibility the iPhone will be announced/released next week in London. If true, we will then see if the iPhone is in the same market.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39...9292782,00.htm
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Ive got a sneaking suspicion that palm is about to dismantle here. Product cancellations, high end models are delayed, etc. Something is about to unravel....
    The Optimist of the group.

I think what's really going on is a re-focus. Killing the Foleo in the 11th hour is proof of such a re-focus. I bet the new Palm equity partners are putting big time pressure on Palm managment to crank out new smartphones ASAP to really compete in the market place.

The summer of 2007 for Palm is marred with failure and disappointment. It really is do or die for them, which is good for us. Gotta love a market economy.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    Well the argument about college students losing an iPhone is ridiculous. Anyone can lose anything including a 2k laptop. And if you don't think college students have $400 to spend on any technology take a tour through a college campus and count the iPods (or other MP3 players) + the music they bought.

You are trying to say that because the iPhone costs more it is not in the same market. That's not a valid argument--you need to look at the buyer and the reasons why they bought, not the price they paid. If cost was the only factor why did one million people buy the iPhone? Just because you can potentially get the 500 for free does not mean people will get it.

It sounds like you are locked into the fact that the 500 will be a great seller. That's fine. I'm just pointing out the financial facts, what market research says, the current state of the European market and what Palm is predicting. You haven't said anything besides opinion why it will sell great and/or make tons of money for Palm...and my opinion, based upon what I posted, is that it's not going to save Palm.
    I have been through college campuses. Many of my friends loved my 700p but ended up with a Katana because that's all they could afford. Not all college kids have iPods. A good friend of mine who makes a decent amount of money is trying to buy my 2GB 2nd Gen nano for $50 because she doesn't want to buy one at full price.

And a lot of what Palm is predecting has the 500, along with other models, in their numbers. Do you think Palm just all of a suddent said "hey, let's sell this thing, call it the 500, and we'll start next week." This has probably been in development for at least a year. Sure, Palm and other analysists (I really put them in the same category as weathermen, BTW) have said Palm's not going to do AS GOOD, but, without this and other models that are up their sleeves, they'd do horrible.

Either way, I'm sure this is the new form factor, or at least one of them, that Palm's going to. They were ready to go to market in the EU with WM, so they took it. They probably couldn't afford to wait for their Linux OS to get cleaned up and the FCC to do whatever they do. They needed the cash flow soon, and they took it.

I have a funny feeling Palm may pull out of this rut. Not that I'm a Palm fanboi. I'd much rather have an Apple branded phone, maybe not the iPhone. But, as of right now, from what's available, I'll be staying with Palm.
    Palm doesn't pull out of anything. They trudge along with "eh" devices. Look to apple or rimm for the future smartphone solutions. Palm is going to continue concentrating on average smartphones for the general public, not the business or power users. They think they'll make money this way.
    To follow up to a post about the iPhone competing in Europe this year--

The iPhone will be available Nov 9, without 3G support (later '08) for that. It will be interesting to see the sales of the 500 versus the iPhone by the end of the year.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    It will be interesting to see the sales of the 500 versus the iPhone by the end of the year.

Don't really see the relevance of comparing sales of those two as they are in different market segments. Bit like comparing sales of a top of the range Nokia with a entry level Samsung
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Don't really see the relevance of comparing sales of those two as they are in different market segments. Bit like comparing sales of a top of the range Nokia with a entry level Samsung
    How is the 500 considered an entry level phone? I had an above entry level Sanyo and I could not sync anything with my computer and could not use it as a media player. I also didn't have a QWERTY (I've never had to type that out, kind of neat ) keyboard nor expandable memory. I also don't remember it having a decent web browser.

But then again, I think everyone on this board is started to get bored with their lives and is just looking for something to complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    You never know, something may just be announced right around the corner.

Look at the Centro and 500. No one was really expecting them 3 months before they launched. I think we're not giving Palm enough credit (although, it's understandable with their record).

We don't see a lot of what they're doing because many times, their information isn't "leaked" like other company's are.
    Hate to bring up a dead horse issue.> Great!! No one was expecting the 500 and the Centro. But what about the fix to the 700P line of phones or declaring it a lemon. We are expecting this. *tap tap tap* I think its too late for palm. Though I'd like to see them succeed and bring out a new and exciting product I just don't see it. Woo me back and I will come back
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 09/18/2007 at 01:16 PM.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    How is the 500 considered an entry level phone?
    I didn't say it was, it is an entry level smartphone whereas if you go by price the iPhone is a high end smartphone. If the 500v is free with a contract then that makes a 269 price differential between it and the iPhone, that to me puts them at different ends of the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    But I think they are. I'm not going to rehash why (you can read the previous posts) but the 500 and the iPhone are in the same market, hence the reason for the post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12