1.    #1  
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

Its just one magazine's opinion of course (albeit one with enormous reach), but based on the reviews they've done, PC World has issued this article. I hope Ed Colligan sees it - none of their top 10 is a Palm.

RIM Blackberries (one in top spot), a couple of models by HTC, while Nokia, Samsung and Apple are all represented.
    In fact, these companies have all worked at being innovative and/or in tune with what the end users want - while Palm seems not to.

So, quel surprise, it didn't make the cut.
    Worthless imho because they have the sidekick on there over the treo's and the new 8830 blackberry?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Remember when we were on this list. Palm dropped the ball and let everyone else pass them by.
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

Its just one magazine's opinion of course (albeit one with enormous reach), but based on the reviews they've done, PC World has issued this article. I hope Ed Colligan sees it - none of their top 10 is a Palm.

RIM Blackberries (one in top spot), a couple of models by HTC, while Nokia, Samsung and Apple are all represented.
    In fact, these companies have all worked at being innovative and/or in tune with what the end users want - while Palm seems not to.

So, quel surprise, it didn't make the cut.
    It's a who's who list, not a best seller's list. Else the 650 would be on there. Should a one-trick company in Palm make flash in the pan devces that sell to only a few but have people raving?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5.    #5  
    Like I said, its just one magazine's opinion - and based on their reviews of current models. And it seems that every product they review does include some 'con' issues, too. But the fact remains, that Palm did not make the cut.

'Best selling' is another criteria entirely (often involving the price the user gets a device from their wireless provider for and how long it remains on the market) while including 'obsolete' phones (like the 650) would seem to be counter-productive anyway.

Palm's corporate ennui towards its devices, OS and users should not be excused as they are being usurped by such 'one-trick ponies' and 'flash in the pan' ideas as innovation, robust and popular OSs and good industrial design.

I'd like to defend Palm, I really would, but they just don't seem to 'get it'....
    1. When I'm traveling for work, at least 60% of the smartphones I see people using are Treos!

2. I'm not sure what their definition of smartphone is but in my book you need to be able to load and run native apps. Does the Sidekick qualify? For that matter does the iPhone? To me, these are "Feature Phones" and not true smart phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    1. When I'm traveling for work, at least 60% of the smartphones I see people using are Treos!
    I work in Austin and Houston and I see 60-70% BB's - and then just about everything else makes up the rest. A year, 18 months ago - a lot more Treo's than now. I would say that BB has SIGNIFICANTLY eaten into Palm's share (OK, I know, duh!).
    I always go back to the analogy....People in NJ use treos, people in NY use BB's.
    I see more and more "regular" users using treos.
    Neither here nor there. Meaningless, IMO, like asking "what's north of the north pole?"

In the wild, my Treo 755 smoked my buddy's BB 8300 Curve (their #1 choice), head to head. Curve was slow with 2.5G Edge vs 755's EVDO. Curve can't Sling. As ancient as Blazer is, it was superior to browsing on BB browser. Kinoma & pTunes could stream and play back multiformats. Ergonomics are a toss up. 755 is thicker, but Curve is wider...pick your poison. Keyboard is also subjective (personal preference). Curve had a better camera and push email hands down (if you need those things). PIM, the 755 was just as capable as Curve.

Maybe the reviewer wasn't a power user. Hands on, I wasn't impressed with the Curve. Its killer app is push-email. Outside of that, couldn't lay a finger on my 755.

Was in Silicon Valley recently, majority of smartphones were Treos (by far). Blackberrys are very prevalent for corporate use, but Treos still rule amongst technologists.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I just posted this in another thread. I work for the largest company in the world by sales and they just switched all of the management, even the middle management to treo 650s from bb's.

I am sure that they got refurb units pretty cheap but every one i spoke with liked the 650's better than the bb's.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    I just posted this in another thread. I work for the largest company in the world by sales and they just switched all of the management, even the middle management to treo 650s from bb's.

I am sure that they got refurb units pretty cheap but every one i spoke with liked the 650's better than the bb's.
    Believable - depending on WHAT BB they actually traded in!

I have a BB from 2001 that I happily tossed for a 650....
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Believable - depending on WHAT BB they actually traded in!

I have a BB from 2001 that I happily tossed for a 650....
    LOL. Thats a good observation. The the blackberrys they had were definantly old. No phone. No color screen. So trading 2001 technology up to 2005technology would probably make anyone happy!
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  13.    #13  
    Yet interesting that the company went with 'obsolete' 650s rather than any of the current crop of Treos.
    Granted price may have been something of an issue, but no Company is willingly going to go with an unreliable (or indifferent) product - so again, this only reinforces the above 'Top 10 List' not including a current Palm product.
    Those type of magazine reports tend to go with advertised features rather than actual usability.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    Yet interesting that the company went with 'obsolete' 650s rather than any of the current crop of Treos.
    Granted price may have been something of an issue, but no Company is willingly going to go with an unreliable (or indifferent) product - so again, this only reinforces the above 'Top 10 List' not including a current Palm product.
    I can tell you price was the only reason they went with the 650. There are thousands of field managers within the company. My company does everything frugally to save money.
    Lenny