Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Awesome article in the Times today.

"A “non-geek” recounts the trials and tribulations of owning a Treo smartphone made by Palm."

Nice to know we are not alone in our frustration.

"and if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier..."
    Wow. I think that this much more significant than our rants. Here is somebody who is a mainstream CONSUMER who can't get this hybrid gadget to work correctly as opposed to "power users" like us who troll these boards in order to make complaints. Haven't we been led to believe that people who contribute to these forums make up a non-representative dissatisfied sample of Treo owners? So now the hard to please can read both the NY times in addition to TreoCentral's forums. But in the end, will it really make any difference in making Palm/Verizon replace our 700p with something that works?
    >as opposed to "power users" like us who troll these boards in order to make
    > complaints.

Well said. Every Palm user I know has migrated away from their platform in the last year due to the specific issues discussed at length (and available for review by Palm) in adjacent threads. I don't understand why a few die-hard loyalists argue that Palm isn't dead... from my perspective they have lost their base and are now seeking to re-invent their line (which is fine by me, I sincerely hope they can create a successful Linux product). From my view, the fact that they must now start over and somehow later re-enter the market with a new product proves they have achieved a stalemate position in the market. Further, Palm's most recent year-over-year quarterly earnings growth was a whopping -43.50% [1] whereas Rimm posted a respectable 73.20% increase [2]. After reviewing the related financials and observing the dissatisfaction of every 700p user I have discussed the issue with, my conclusion is that the users whom profess satisfaction and advertise the utility and stability of their 700p handsets are simply not aware of the inherent limitations of the device due to a lack of experience trying to force the various 'features' of the device to work or have not compared the functionality of the 700p to its competitors.

[1] http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=PALM
    [2] http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=RIMM
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    This is why my last Palm purchase was a used Treo 600. RIM will continue to gain market share at Palm's expense.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    My 700p still works well and I use it heavily.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    The OP's assumptions about those who like the 700p are insulting and uninformed. I've been using P OS devices for well over 10 years, am certainly a power user, and my 700p works just fine, even with a couple of dozen 3rd party apps.

Perhaps the OP has issues because of his lack of capability, not the devices.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The OP's assumptions about those who like the 700p are insulting and uninformed. I've been using P OS devices for well over 10 years, am certainly a power user, and my 700p works just fine, even with a couple of dozen 3rd party apps.

Everyone has problems with stuff that others love. Remember the whole fiasco with the Ford Explorer and tires? My family has owned explorers/ mountaineers ever since 92 without problems.

If palm came out with the exact specs of the 700p in a different form factor, how many would complain then? I have read a lot of the problems. I have a 650 and its not without its problems, mainly cause I keep changing settings, etc.

I wonder if a lot of the problems have to do with people just restoring files from their sd card from previous models instead of a fresh install?
    yesterday i had a friend admire my phone. they considered getting one. they are not technically advance. they want to turn it on and have it work. i told the to buy a BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Everyone has problems with stuff that others love. Remember the whole fiasco with the Ford Explorer and tires? My family has owned explorers/ mountaineers ever since 92 without problems.

If palm came out with the exact specs of the 700p in a different form factor, how many would complain then? I have read a lot of the problems. I have a 650 and its not without its problems, mainly cause I keep changing settings, etc.

I wonder if a lot of the problems have to do with people just restoring files from their sd card from previous models instead of a fresh install?
    That is a good question. I would do a complete fresh install no matter how long it took. I did it jumping from my 600 to 700...all I can say is my 700p most of the time has been performing like a gem with an issues far between. Not saying my method is the reason but my 700p is performing good enough to hold me down until Palm releases a real product or I convert to BB, which ever comes first.
    at&t iPhone3G
    http://select.nytimes.com/2007/09/08...070fcd&ei=5121

this article pans the Treos.

alan
    Alan Mushnick
    Smartphones are not for the technologically challenged. Maybe someday they will get stable, easy to use, and do everything well. For now they are complex devices that are easily upset.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    More proof that Palm should have axed the current POS and had the POS II out already.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

Seconded!
  14.    #15  
    It will all be better when we move into the new building...

I did a fresh install on my SIXTH Treo, created a new user account, did not install any third party software and this phone is crap too. I can point to the software v1.10 that came loaded on it as the reason for this latest trouble.
    "and if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Smartphones are not for the technologically challenged. Maybe someday they will get stable, easy to use, and do everything well. For now they are complex devices that are easily upset.
    It is this reasoning why the iPhone has been a success, and why smartphones have MUCH LESS than 5% of the marketshare of any other type of mobile phone.

"Maybe someday..." should have happened years ago. And if it did, then maybe the power of the brand would not have such a negative connotation as in this particular case.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    It is this reasoning why the iPhone has been a success, and why smartphones have MUCH LESS than 5% of the marketshare of any other type of mobile phone.

"Maybe someday..." should have happened years ago. And if it did, then maybe the power of the brand would not have such a negative connotation as in this particular case.
    True, but lets not forget: BB and WM are geared primarily towards business and enterprise users, not mainstream "everyday" folk.

That is now starting to change with BB becoming more consumer friendly and OEMs modifying WM around media-centric designs e.g. Moto Q q9m or the HTC 1st shot at mainstreams audiences, the Touch/Vogue. Up until then "smarthphones" were niche by design and marketing.

What I liked about this article was he pointed out how everyone: iPhone, BB, Motorola and especially Palm all have failed at the ultimate converged device, which I think is quite accurate (Palm here just serves as the main example).

Individually they have their strengths but none of those devices "do it all" or don't have major drawbacks/limitations. If that article can be summed up, it's this:

Quote Originally Posted by JOE NOCERA
    Before going any further, it’s worth pointing out something that nobody ever bothers to tell us nongeeks. It’s hard to make a good smartphone — so hard, in fact, that no one really has it right yet. BlackBerrys are great at e-mail, but the phone is barely adequate and its Internet abilities are not very good at all. The Motorola Q crashes almost as often as the Treo. The Apple iPhone is terrific for music and media, but lousy for e-mail and phoning.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Agreed Malatesta.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Wow. Its amazing what can change in a couple of years. I've been happy with my 650 for a long-time. So much so that I don't visit here since I'm completely happy with everything about it. I'm surprised to read how people who use to adore the Treo 600/650 now sound like its always been garbabge.

Chi
    smart reviews for serious gamers
    <A HREF="http://mobile.gamecritics.com">mobile.gamecritics.com</A>
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It's the breaking point between the old Palm (represented by all that was good up to the 650) and the new Palm (with their 700p and the new line of devices) what is being discussed here. The 600/650 were a piece of smartphone art, they really were; and I am more than sad to have left my old trusty 600 for this craptastic piece of 700p hardware. And it is the 700p and follow-up products that have sparkled the abandoning of Palm's ship.

I am, as many will certainly be, tired of seeing folk defend Palm. If your 700p device works fine and you don't have a problem, my dear reader YOU ARE THE EXCEPTION rather than the norm. The article with the New York Times is now a much clearer picture of what the problems with the 700p are.

And don't cop-out by saying that an unitiated, non-geek was trying to make a Palm product work. The scores of comments from POWER USERS in these forums precede the history of the ill-fated 700p saga. Actually Palm tried to diss the "power users" early in the 700p game by stating that in the larger picture, the regular users were mostly OK with the device. Now you have it how a nongeek had the plethora of problems a large majority of 700p users have had up to this day.

The problems of the 700p do not come out as result of trying to achieve some convoluted functionality out of the phone that only a smartphone professional would encounter. No sir, quite the contrary, the problems are present by using the most simple and basic functions that come STANDARD with the phone, even without installing 3rd party apps:

Pre MR problems:

- Bluetooth. Problems pairing BT devices, even those included in Palm's own BT compatibility list. And once paired... good luck trying to keep the pairing.
    - Audio skips. Pocket tunes comes in the ROM, standard. Playback audio is a no brainer for anybody and guess what? the audio playback sucked.
    - Lags/Freezes. Just switching apps. Not fancy-smancy ones, just trying to switch between calendar, phone and email was a very long ordeal. Very apparent to folks who were used to the speedy 650/600. Less noticeable with the first time users until you have another device to compare to.

Post MR problems:

- Error 3000. Using data connectivity is as simple as trying to launch Blazer, which is included in the ROM also and again, is an excercise anyone would be able to do. So now using the data services is an unreliable affair that may/may not work depending on how often you roam even within the same city.
    - Lags/Freezes. They got worse. As it has been mentioned in the forums, many instances of switching apps and using Versamail will create a lot of lag. The problem was not 100% solved, it was just narrowed to a particular series of scenarios that unfortunately, are not uncommon.

This is what is being discussed in the NYT artcile as well as in the forums. And Palm has provided ZERO updates that are worth revisiting the 700p score.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast