Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amen, waldo. I still have my 650 and I agree that this was the last worthwhile device produced by the company.

Now all palm is about are hackjob smartphones. These are lazy, contented execs in this company, not the creative, ambitious people we once knew.

It will all come back around to them, though. you'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackey Guy View Post
    It will all be better when we move into the new building...

I did a fresh install on my SIXTH Treo, created a new user account, did not install any third party software and this phone is crap too. I can point to the software v1.10 that came loaded on it as the reason for this latest trouble.
    Been married 9 times? Hell, maybe it's you?

Since you like quotes.....
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Amen, waldo. I still have my 650 and I agree that this was the last worthwhile device produced by the company.

Now all palm is about are hackjob smartphones. These are lazy, contented execs in this company, not the creative, ambitious people we once knew.

It will all come back around to them, though. you'll see.

If they do not come around soon; there will be no company; wish Motorola had bought them in January when the rumor floated. How can Palm do competition against the Blackjack and the "Q" unless their smartphone software has been highly tweaked? The design just does not cut it! The "Q" and BJ are slim design phones. Why not make the Centro and the Treo 500 the same size? From the pictures I have seen they are different. I posted earlier this evening that the Centro had earlier been described with Rev A but the recent pictures and specs do not address that. If the Centro has rev A then so could the 755p. I wish Palm were like Apple and give us tidbits of what to expect on the Linux Treo and a real time frame! The blog is not updated daily. Wasn't the Treo 600 a nice device and one year later they gave us the 650. They updated the 650 within 3-5 months of it's release to fix our memory problems. Palm has consistently dropped the ball. 85% of the comments on the blog are negative (TC too). What happened to the great PALM Company? In today's world you cannot sit back on your laurels. I even visit Treo Central less than I used too. I have the BB 8830 but still want my Linux Treo (slim please; EVDO rev A, dual GSM-CDMA with GPS and let's top it off with wifi or wimax!)
    Palm is riding on the basic design and software architectures created in 2002. They've been doing nothing else besides tweaking or, as I prefer calling it, jerking around with old ideas.
    They are resting on Handspring's patents, nothing else. Everyone knows it.

I hope you're enjoying your 8830, morningstar. When the rev - A blackberry curve reaches sprint i'll be onboard immediately. Palm can go whistle with their latest lemons.

Their going to attempt a linux treo in 2008 but given their typically poor quality control, palm will once again release a product not yet ready for prime time. I'm sure it will have ev-do, more memory, and a semblance of multitasking, but as usual, it won't all play well together. The usual suspects like lag, crashes, etc will all probably still persist even into the next platform because of their consistently poor development standards.

They take a great concept with great potential and focus on recycled old components under the hood. This is and will continue to be palm's legacy.

Many people are done with it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    You guys are right. The 700p device was flawed at the beginning and they bricked it for most of us with the MR. I have experienced issues with Versamail, lag, bluetooth connectivity, error 3000 etc. I simply decided that I would have to live with an imperfect device until I could dump my contract. Which really sucks b/c I moved over from Sprint to Verizon just at the beginning of this year.

I have eyed the HTC touch from afar and will likely migrate to WM in the next phone and away from Palm products. I could conceivably come back in a few years after they have started innovating again to be competitive. We have all been complaining for years here about the slow incremental gains since the 600 was introduced. 650 was a bit better than 600 bc of the bluetooth and addl memory. 700 was really just EV-Do and a bit more memory but in a less stable device. I do not get the concept behind not improving or modifying the form factor in 6 years. The only real change in the look is the fact that in the 755 they have removed the antenna. Major change huh?

If Palm can leap forward again with a better operating system capable of multitaksing and they can improve on the stability of the product while improving on the form factor or at least modifying it so we can get more screen, I'd consider coming along. But not my next phone. No matter what I am going away to test some other company's offering.

One last point, Palms decision to go now a month plus without improving or fixing what they did to our phones is just without precidence. What other company do you know of would encourage you to update their machine with something, promises it will improve your experience, then when it actually screws up your machine, posts a note saying they are sorry and to check back with them periodically to see if they have an update to fix your machine. That company should be sued, not rewarded with my business again.

F-Them
    Does the Blackberry OS do multitasking? I've never used one, so I don't know how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keleko View Post
    Does the Blackberry OS do multitasking? I've never used one, so I don't know how it works.
    No one knows because they can't find two programs to run at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by robkz View Post
    You guys are right. The 700p device was flawed at the beginning and they bricked it for most of us with the MR.
    The 700P was the phone that made me promise myself I had to find a way to leave Palm. I felt insulted at every level by it.
    You guys are right. The 700p device was flawed at the beginning and they bricked it for most of us with the MR. I have experienced issues with Versamail, lag, bluetooth connectivity, error 3000 etc. I simply decided that I would have to live with an imperfect device until I could dump my contract. Which really sucks b/c I moved over from Sprint to Verizon just at the beginning of this year.

I have eyed the HTC touch from afar and will likely migrate to WM in the next phone and away from Palm products. I could conceivably come back in a few years after they have started innovating again to be competitive. We have all been complaining for years here about the slow incremental gains since the 600 was introduced. 650 was a bit better than 600 bc of the bluetooth and addl memory. 700 was really just EV-Do and a bit more memory but in a less stable device. I do not get the concept behind not improving or modifying the form factor in 6 years. The only real change in the look is the fact that in the 755 they have removed the antenna. Major change huh?

If Palm can leap forward again with a better operating system capable of multitaksing and they can improve on the stability of the product while improving on the form factor or at least modifying it so we can get more screen, I'd consider coming along. But not my next phone. No matter what I am going away to test some other company's offering.

One last point, Palms decision to go now a month plus without improving or fixing what they did to our phones is just without precidence. What other company do you know of would encourage you to update their machine with something, promises it will improve your experience, then when it actually screws up your machine, posts a note saying they are sorry and to check back with them periodically to see if they have an update to fix your machine. That company should be sued, not rewarded with my business again.

F-Them
    Exactly right.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    The 700P was the phone that made me promise myself I had to find a way to leave Palm. I felt insulted at every level by it.
    This is really the bottom line with palm. They continually insult their base with each successive product.
    I skipped the 700p, only because sprint had not rolled out EVDO to my house. I upgraded from a 650 to a 755p about 5 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier. The phone is rock solid stable, even with the finicky verichat installed. I honestly can't recall the last time my treo crashed.

There seems to be a lot of negativity out there surrounding Palm these days. I can't speak for others, but I am one happy and satisfied Palm customer.
    need I remind you that Handspring & NOT Palm did all the innovating. Treo 180-300-600 were all handspring. These guys knew what we wanted & more & produced it. Since Palm took over we having been getting all these incrimental upgrades. 650-700-750-680-755-500???? Are these guys mentally ill?? The numbers should be going up & not back & forth! They will either completely reinvent or die. There is no other alternative. Handspring please come back to life!
    Oh don't forget the Treo 90 as well. A truely innovative device as well. 90-180-300... Handspring shame on you for throwing us to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I skipped the 700p, only because sprint had not rolled out EVDO to my house. I upgraded from a 650 to a 755p about 5 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier. The phone is rock solid stable, even with the finicky verichat installed. I honestly can't recall the last time my treo crashed.

There seems to be a lot of negativity out there surrounding Palm these days. I can't speak for others, but I am one happy and satisfied Palm customer.
    It seems to depend where you came from.

Those who upgraded to, or started with the 700p are the most disgruntled for aforementioned reasons. The 755p seems to have a lot less issues and less controversy surrounding it, at least from what I've noticed.

Likewise, if you've gone from a 650 to a 700wx or just started with it, you are also less likely to be discontent with Palm. Just look at the majority of those who are upset--mostly POS or 700p users, very few WM 700w/x, 750 users.

I went 650 --> 700wx, couldn't be happier either.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The only real change in the look is the fact that in the 755 they have removed the antenna. Major change huh?

F-Them

well, they did "curve in" the sides as well.....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The OP's assumptions about those who like the 700p are insulting and uninformed. I've been using P OS devices for well over 10 years, am certainly a power user, and my 700p works just fine, even with a couple of dozen 3rd party apps.

Perhaps the OP has issues because of his lack of capability, not the devices.
    My response friend what is your comment to the statements from Steve S. last December when he acknowledge the lag as being inherent to the hardware design of the phone (I consider that a real defect and the 650 did not have the lag)! Why all the resets (and those are hard to dispute)? I want my Palm Linux Treo. I moved the the BB8830 from my 755p
    As we all know, the 700p was riddled with lag and bluetooth issues, the 755p was an improved version but still purportedly had lag when switching between apps. The " one month meltdowns" thread in the 755 forum describes the problems people seem to be having. I'm not sure about the 680 other than it was just another half-*** low or mid-range offering.

Palm's windows based treos appear to be more stable than the garnet treos - case in point the 700wx. Although the 700w may have its own issues due to less ram available.

In any case, I think the point is that palm is unforgivably inconsistent with offering quality, reliable, stable devices. You just don't know what kind of experience you're going to have when "upgrading" from one model to the next. It appears that you often get one or two steps forward with two or three steps back on successive treos. This shouldn't happen on so-called " world class smartphones".

Having to go from one treo to the next and from one os to another to finally arrive at a stable device is unacceptable. In fact it's ridiculous.

The problem I have with palm is that they seem to just slap phones together regardless of whether or not they run smoothly or function well on the network or not. If you happen to find one that is stable, consider yourself lucky.

I don't think its being overly negative to point these issues out. I think it's simply calling it like it is.

Palm runs a complacent, careless, inconsistent business. I'm always stunned that peoplel stand up for a company like this.
    What's even MORE frustrating is that not only are they not producing cutting edge phones, but they can't even consistently achieve stability on what is largely "older, out of date" technology! Come on, already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Smartphones are not for the technologically challenged. Maybe someday they will get stable, easy to use, and do everything well. For now they are complex devices that are easily upset.
    Not true of RIMs Blackberrys which are very solid devices and fairly simple to use. They are somewhat limited compared to a Treo, but many consider the tradeoff worthwile.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The OP's assumptions about those who like the 700p are insulting and uninformed. I've been using P OS devices for well over 10 years, am certainly a power user, and my 700p works just fine, even with a couple of dozen 3rd party apps.
    Same here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast