Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Think about it... the iPod Touch has the hardware that the next generation of the Palm TX should be having right about now. If Palm created - or even licensed to create - a port of its classic PDA software, compatible with Palm Desktop, iSync, iCal, ActiveSync, and/or PocketMirror, would you buy it?

Palm's OS may be out of date, but the Palm PDA software, even after all these years, has no equal. There could be quite a market for people willing to pay $50 to turn their iPod Touch or iPhone into a true PDA.

It sounds cannibalistic, but keeping Palm PDA software current and relevant could help Palm buy more time until it has hardware - and an operating system - that can surpass the current competition.

Any thoughts?

ps - my SanDisk Sansa Connect still blows away the iPod Touch as a music player (the Sansa Connect is an all-you-can-eat buffet of first class music!), but that's a comment for another thread
    Remember, Apple wants a closed system. So Palm shouldn't waste it's time.

They should also be working on their new OS and Treos, and not someone else's stuff.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That's like asking ferrari to buy a corvette engine (Z06) from chevy to put into their cars to sell
    lol..
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Remember, Apple wants a closed system. So Palm shouldn't waste it's time.

They should also be working on their new OS and Treos, and not someone else's stuff.

They need to start now and release or announce the specs on the upcoming Linux Treo. How many years in the making from the failed cobalt, to the failed 700p. They have canceled the foolish foleo but we do not see the Linux Treo even on the near horizon. They need to announce (like apple did) a prototype and the specs and features of the phone. Unless they are not even to stage one with design and the components. Why would I buy a Treo 500 (if it were available in the US) when it's design is not as slick as the Motorola Q or the Blackjack or even the Dash. They basically stated that the software had not been tweaked to run on the Treo 500. There are a lot of disgruntled users out there that Palm needs to appease. I did see somthing on one of the forums that Palm may compensate some of the developers which is good and rightly they should. 3-4 years in the making saying they are coming out with a device to woo and wow. What has happened to this company? In other companies heads would roll for the blunders that have been made; loss of customer base, failure to attract new customers. Where does the buck stop? They use to be such a fine company with the 1st Palm pilot; the Palm V and the Treo 600. But Palm always would leave out one thing either memory or less than perfect screen. Palm please put your people to work 24-7 until we receive the Linux Treo. and please do not make us beta testers as you have with the 700p and the 650 (remember we had that problems with less memory on release of the phone than we had on our Treo 600. Has not Palm learned from their mistakes? One last thing is that Steve S. stated last Dec that the "lag" in the Treo's was inherent to the hardware design of the phone; does that not mean defective phone. Also they waited 6 months to admit there was a problem; thanks to Bob H.
    Palm you are in the last round, you have to hit a knock out soon or you will go down!
    I wouldn't compare the Palm platform to the z06 engine. Maybe a reliable small block, at best.

Yeah I have seen people put a Honda s2000 engine in a M3. You see, in Malaysia car machanic is very cheap.
    As noted above, Apple wants a closed system (and The Stevo hates PDAs, by most accounts) so this does seem to be a dead deal.

However, where Apple is desperately lacking for its potential Touch / iPhone users with PCs is a native and installed with first boot 'Desktop'. iTunes does not include access to the PIM functions and the products currently rely on Microsoft Outlook (euwww) - if the user already has it installed - for such activities.

A port of the Palm Desktop for these devices would certainly help. But The Stevo wouldn't include it with the devices...