Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
  1. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #2  
    I predict that Palm's lineup going into 2008 is going to resemble this:
    (from lowest to highest)

    GSM

    1. WinMob Standard GSM Centro for Europe initially then USA (AT&T?). Don't expect any surprises in the specs but it'll basically have microSD, no A2DP, a 1.3mp camera, and a 1200mAh battery. Well, this one will probably do A2DP whereas the Palm version will/can not. It COULD be a bit wider to accomodate the 320x240 LCD. Or it could be the same physical size body but with a tiny LCD.

    2. A mild mid-life refresh of the 750 for GSM networks worldwide with WM6 pre-installed. I'd assume a GPS version of the 800w will replace this sometime next year.

    3. The Treo 680 (expect Palm to either phase this model out or push it way onto the backburner)



    CDMA

    1. Garnet EVDO Rev. 0 (I HIGHLY doubt it'll be Rev. A) Centro for Sprint initially then Alltel/Telus/perhaps Verizon later. The final Garnet-based Palm product. Ever. Same specs as the WM Standard version other than likely lacking A2DP.

    2. Treo 755p. Carryover model, will finally reach Verizon November.

    3. The "Mercedes" Treo 800w Colligan hinted at a while back. For an 800w, I'd assume either GPS built-in or wi-fi (not both) alongside a Rev.A, a 320x320 LCD, WM6 Pro and a 2megapixel camera. Will likely deubt on Verizon and then move to Sprint. In fact I think we'll see VZW taking the lead with WM-based Treos while Sprint sticks to tradition and keeps Garnet & PLinux Treos as launch exclusives.

    I had previously expected a 755w (320x320 and WM6 Pro in 755p formfactor) for Sprint/Verizon later this fall but I guess someone (the carriers?) wanted to pass on this and do more to differentiate the POS CDMA Treos from the WM CDMA versions.
    Last edited by hkklife; 09/04/2007 at 11:08 AM.
  2. #3  
    My highly speculative guess is also that the "Palm Smartphones" are the WM phone we saw the leaked blurry vodaphone pic of in white... but the plural form was used in the word "SmartphoneS". That could mean that it will come in more colors than just white... like the 680 did.

    Wish we knew more about the Sprint POS version.

    details, details, details...
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  3. #4  
    it'll definitely not be palm os, thats for sure. it'll probably be the white one as guessed by duanedude. and if the prize phones come in 5-packs, it'll probably be something cheap with unchangable batteries.
  4. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #5  
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  5. #6  
    Well dang Doc, nice find
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

    3. The "Mercedes" Treo 800w Colligan hinted at a while back. For an 800w, I'd assume either GPS built-in or wi-fi (not both) alongside a Rev.A, a 320x320 LCD, WM6 Pro and a 2megapixel camera. Will likely deubt on Verizon and then move to Sprint. In fact I think we'll see VZW taking the lead with WM-based Treos while Sprint sticks to tradition and keeps Garnet & PLinux Treos as launch exclusives.
    Darn it - I am on Sprint, just took my Mogul back and was hoping the 800w would hit Sprint right at the first of the year. But this makes very good sense to me based on previous roll-outs. I also read somewhere that the new Sprint Q9c due in November was going to be more business related - VZW went hip, media centric probably knowing that Sprint had the Centro coming(?). Sprint needs a few more business/professional devices.
  7. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #8  
    If the images on the PDA France are real screen shots and not p/s then I would believe that this unit has a touch screen and is POS (see Ptunes bottom picture left) . Not sure why you would have a dail paid without touch screen. This unit is also labeled TREO not Centro?? The Carrier is blanked out??? Is it white or silver can't tell.
  8. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    If the images on the PDA France are real screen shots and not p/s then I would believe that this unit has a touch screen and is POS (see Ptunes bottom picture left) . Not sure why you would have a dail paid without touch screen. This unit is also labeled TREO not Centro?? The Carrier is blanked out??? Is it white or silver can't tell.
    The carrier is Orange (France) --> "Orange F" on the screen.

    But...on the Palm page for their new phone on the 12th....France is not mentioned.

    I'm back to thinking this is the WM smartphone ;-)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #10  
    Mal, do you think the screen shots are real or P/S?
  10. #11  
    As Jas O mentioned, I think everyone made a point that this phone would not be a Treo (which seems like a terrible desicion IMHO) and this "photos" clearly has the Treo label.
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Mal, do you think the screen shots are real or P/S?
    Well, I'm no P/S expert, but the multiple shots, including the OS in French, the glare on the screen...looks real to me.

    I'm still not sure about why it says "Treo" on it but they have the blank-out bar right (that's to block the prototype serial # out, so it can't be traced).

    I still have no idea if this is the rumored Sept 12 device or something else down the line.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. fishera's Avatar
    Posts
    494 Posts
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I predict that Palm's lineup going into 2008 is going to resemble this:
    (from lowest to highest)

    GSM

    1. WinMob Standard GSM Centro for Europe initially then USA (AT&T?). Don't expect any surprises in the specs but it'll basically have microSD, no A2DP, a 1.3mp camera, and a 1200mAh battery. Well, this one will probably do A2DP whereas the Palm version will/can not. It COULD be a bit wider to accomodate the 320x240 LCD. Or it could be the same physical size body but with a tiny LCD.

    2. A mild mid-life refresh of the 750 for GSM networks worldwide with WM6 pre-installed. I'd assume a GPS version of the 800w will replace this sometime next year.

    3. The Treo 680 (expect Palm to either phase this model out or push it way onto the backburner)



    CDMA

    1. Garnet EVDO Rev. 0 (I HIGHLY doubt it'll be Rev. A) Centro for Sprint initially then Alltel/Telus/perhaps Verizon later. The final Garnet-based Palm product. Ever. Same specs as the WM Standard version other than likely lacking A2DP.

    2. Treo 755p. Carryover model, will finally reach Verizon November.

    3. The "Mercedes" Treo 800w Colligan hinted at a while back. For an 800w, I'd assume either GPS built-in or wi-fi (not both) alongside a Rev.A, a 320x320 LCD, WM6 Pro and a 2megapixel camera. Will likely deubt on Verizon and then move to Sprint. In fact I think we'll see VZW taking the lead with WM-based Treos while Sprint sticks to tradition and keeps Garnet & PLinux Treos as launch exclusives.

    I had previously expected a 755w (320x320 and WM6 Pro in 755p formfactor) for Sprint/Verizon later this fall but I guess someone (the carriers?) wanted to pass on this and do more to differentiate the POS CDMA Treos from the WM CDMA versions.
    one thing... there is no way Palm would ditch a Palm OS GSM Treo!!! The first Treo phones were GSM and there will always be a POS GSM Treo!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

    PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
  13. #14  
    The article's points about why it is probably not the Centro are all good, but I also agree with Jinx about it probably being something cheap. It seems like the "5 free" promotion would make more sense if it was the simplified, user friendly Centro. I really can't see myself giving a power-userish Palm Gandolf to my mom, wife, friend, etc. It seems a giveaway like that would make more sense with a simple text messaging, IMing device like the Centro.
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
  14. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #15  
    I don't read French very well but they appear to be comparing this unit to the BB Pearl and they are calling it the Palm Centro.

    Vous remarquerez que le Palm Centro est vraiment de petite taille, ici à côté d'un BlackBerry Pearl,

    My guess based on the pictures shown and timing Centro POS. The one icon is for Mon Centro which I am guessing is "Tour Centro". This just happens to be what is being shown on the French website. I also would bet that you have an option for a windows version too. Smart or Professional is going to be the question. If they have a POS version they already have the touch screen.

    The next week will be interesting. We should continue to get more and more leaks!! By this time next week everyone should be able to see how they guessed.
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    one thing... there is no way Palm would ditch a Palm OS GSM Treo!!! The first Treo phones were GSM and there will always be a POS GSM Treo!
    Of course there will. It is called the Treo 650.

    In any case, the Palm line has already become so fragmented that they cannot make any money and cannot provide support.
  16. #17  
    What did you say? Perhaps the reason that I could not understand a word, is that you are talking about Europe.
  17. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #18  
    Also see this thread for more info.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=151803&page=2
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    3. The "Mercedes" Treo 800w Colligan hinted at a while back. For an 800w, I'd assume either GPS built-in or wi-fi (not both) alongside a Rev.A, a 320x320 LCD, WM6 Pro and a 2megapixel camera. Will likely deubt on Verizon and then move to Sprint. In fact I think we'll see VZW taking the lead with WM-based Treos while Sprint sticks to tradition and keeps Garnet & PLinux Treos as launch exclusives.
    I'm not sure about Verizon first, Sprint second.

    The Q1 date for the Treo 800w was revealed from Sprint's roadmap. Any mention of a WM Treo is gone from Verizon's (remember it was listed for August?), which makes think either it's delayed or Sprint got the exclusive.

    Now granted, maybe Verizon will get it before Q1 2008, but they seem to be running behind on the 6800 and the i760 and the SMT 5800 and just about every WM device in the world, lol.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm not sure about Verizon first, Sprint second.

    ............
    CDMA first, GSM somewhere between late and never.

    Of course, one cannot force Palm to support GSM. Apparently, one cannot get Palm to do much of anything. I used to think that they were sneaky and devious; that is what I thought about George Bush. Now I think that they are simply incompetent; just like George Bush.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions