Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I am going on a trip to Italy - near Lago Di Garda, and need to know if I can find WiFi (wireless Internet) spots there ?

    (either paid or free)

    Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  2. #2  
    It's beautiful there. I spent some time on Garda lake and in Trentino alto-adige. Great food in Bolzano. Have a wonderful time.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    It's beautiful there. I spent some time on Garda lake and in Trentino alto-adige. Great food in Bolzano. Have a wonderful time.
    Thanks - I am very looking forward to it.


    Did you use WiFi ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  4. #4  
    Don't know how good this site is, but I've had it bookmarked for years.

    http://wifi411.com/
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE View Post
    Did you use WiFi ?
    No. Was on vacation, so no laptops, cel phones etc. Just really relaxed for a bit.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    No. Was on vacation, so no laptops, cel phones etc. Just really relaxed for a bit.
    I see your point, and totally agree.

    Problem is - I am bound to my customer service - I have to reply to customers who purchase my apps within 2 business days, and was not able to automate this, so I have to get connected at leat every other day...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE View Post
    I see your point, and totally agree.

    Problem is - I am bound to my customer service - I have to reply to customers who purchase my apps within 2 business days, and was not able to automate this, so I have to get connected at leat every other day...
    Why haven't you written an automated solution? I could do it for you if you're interested. Let me know.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Why haven't you written an automated solution? I could do it for you if you're interested. Let me know.
    That's cause every ESDhas it's own mechanism. One requires Java, One C, one PHP...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  9. #9  
    Can't help with WiFi but I can break some legs for you.
  10. #10  
    Being it a touristic site, I would assume there will be some internet caffe' offering wifi connection.
    Another possibility would be to use your phone. In Italy we have pretty good coverage, considering both Edge and UMTS technologies.
    If you have a GSM treo, you'll be happy buying a TIM sim card and activate a flat data rate for something like 30Euros... And it will work also when connected to a TIM wifi hotspot...
    You should look at
    http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do
    http://www.tim.it/consumer/o688/tariffa.do
    The first one offers you 500MB of traffic for 20Euros
    The second one offer you 100MB to be used from 9:00 to 17:00 monday to friday. During "off-peak" time, you have 9GB to be consumed. Cost is 25E.
    For some email, the first offer is ok. If you want to browse the web, the second one is better, given that you use your phone during off peak periods.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    Being it a touristic site, I would assume there will be some internet caffe' offering wifi connection.
    Another possibility would be to use your phone. In Italy we have pretty good coverage, considering both Edge and UMTS technologies.
    If you have a GSM treo, you'll be happy buying a TIM sim card and activate a flat data rate for something like 30Euros... And it will work also when connected to a TIM wifi hotspot...
    You should look at
    http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do
    http://www.tim.it/consumer/o688/tariffa.do
    The first one offers you 500MB of traffic for 20Euros
    The second one offer you 100MB to be used from 9:00 to 17:00 monday to friday. During "off-peak" time, you have 9GB to be consumed. Cost is 25E.
    For some email, the first offer is ok. If you want to browse the web, the second one is better, given that you use your phone during off peak periods.
    Thanks so much !
    Problem is it's too close for an Internet purchase...
    Can I buy those at sotres in Italy ?
    In the Verona airport, maybe ?

    Oh, and while we're at it - I want to take my sons to a Milan football match on the 3/9 - can I purchase tickets online ? or anywhere in Italy ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  12. #12  
    I guess so... there plenty of TIM shop around... don't actually know if there is one in verona airport...

    For the soccer match... I'm sorry, but I'm a volleyball player, and don't really know. You should ask to the hotel desk... ;-)
  13.    #13  
    Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  14. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #14  
    I travel to Europe once a year for business. Usually 2 to 4 weeks. I have the Verizon rent-a-phone deal usually ends up being a mortage payment.

    Being Verizon and CDMA I am not real sure how the GSM SIM card works. So if I understand it correctly I can buy a GSM phone with no service and purchase a prepaid SIM card for the country that I am in. Pay as you go type thing. This would work best for local calling for the country that I was in.

    I am guessing that it would be very expensive to call back to the states this way. I guess this is where Skype would come in.

    Am I understanding this correctly?? This would save me a ton of money!!!
  15. #15  
    Yes. With GSM, you can simply put a SIM in the phone, and you go. Provided the phone is unlocked...
    This definetively make nationwide calls cheaper. It makes probably international calls cheaper... but I'm not sure.
    Skype is a good alternative, but you need a PC and an internet access. You could use your phone as modem, but that will be definetively _much_ more expensive...
  16. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #16  
    Thanks for the info. Calls back to the states would usually be first thing in the morning due to the 6 hour time difference so I usually call from my hotel room (with internet) before I leave my room for the day so Skype shouldn't be a problem.

    Thanks again!!! This will save a ton on my next trip
  17. #17  
    I live in Roma and I do not know the situation in other parts of Italy... usually you cand find Wifi spot in almost any international airport.

    In Roma we have 2 big parks (Villa Pamphili and Villa Borghere) with wifi spot.
    I think you can easily find Wifi spot in every part of italy... but it depends form part to part

    PS . if you wanna make calls to USA I suggest you to buy a SIM card. We have TIM, Vodafone, Wind and TRE... I personally use Wind that has a very convenient offer for calling outside of Italy. The fee for USA is 35cent/minut+15cent/answering tax. Do not know if you have more convenient options with USA roaming

Posting Permissions