Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Palm's been cut "some slack" for 3 years. Enough.
    I'm a windows mobile person and I love the 750. HTC makes great devices sure, but this treo form factor just cant be beat. Of course I'd like a thinner model with GPS, 320x320, a faster processor and a bigger battery, but as it stands, the 750 is the best smartphone i've used.
    Palms loss of marketshare should be enough to tell them they are on the wrong track. They need to be more open and start listening to what people want, not what they think we need.

http://rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../70823006/1008
    -------
    One year ago, according to recent ABI Research market data, Palm Inc.’s 33% share of the market equaled RIM’s. But RIM has surged to 44% share in the second quarter of this year compared with the year-ago quarter, while Palm has slid to 24%.

“RIM has successfully crossed over into the consumer market with handsets such as the Pearl,” said analyst Shailendra Pandey at ABI. “But as smartphones overtake PDAs, Palm has stumbled. They’ve been slow to introduce new devices.”
    --------
    Quote Originally Posted by serchend View Post
    Palms loss of marketshare should be enough to tell them they are on the wrong track. They need to be more open and start listening to what people want, not what they think we need.
    One year ago, according to recent ABI Research market data, Palm Inc.’s 33% share of the market equaled RIM’s. But RIM has surged to 44% share in the second quarter of this year compared with the year-ago quarter, while Palm has slid to 24%.
    Exactly, nevermind that Palm used to OWN the entire PDA/Smartdevice market and were the ONLY game in town for PDA/Phone convergence devices AND had a number of prominent OEMs using PalmOS for their product offers (e.g. Kyocera, Samsung, etc). They have so totally squandered their dominant positions as market and technological leaders that it is both sad and sickening... There is no more slack to be given...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    There's a lot more competition around now then there was when Palm launched the first Treo's, so even if they were at the top of their game their market share would have diminished, it's the nature of the industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by serchend View Post

“RIM has successfully crossed over into the consumer market with handsets such as the Pearl,” said analyst Shailendra Pandey at ABI. “But as smartphones overtake PDAs, Palm has stumbled. They’ve been slow to introduce new devices.”
    --------
    Let's face it...how many times has someone asked you about your "Blackberry?" Compare that with how many times someone has asked you about your "Treo." 'Nuff said.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    the last time we stayed tuned we got the foleo. so stayed tuned for the next disappointment. palm should desinate a team to read our forums or blogs every day as part of their marketing research.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Granted, I'm a solid fan of Mac over Windows. Thou biased I'd still like to see Palm get away from the windows inspired button menus, the frequent reset's, etc. When you have to spend money on an aftermarket higher capacity battery to be able to use your treo the way it was made, there seems to be an issue.
    Still, I really enjoy my 700w and prefer the verizon coverage. I like the easy handshake with the office exchange mail server, but not the frequent missed calls that seem to accompany the syncing event. Am not much of a technophile but perhaps and attitude of "any os but microsoft" would help Palms devices...
    And I've have had discussions with disgruntled 'clients' in my work as well. When don't agree with their complaints but don't want to spend the time in an actual discussion with them about those issues, I sound alot like Mr. Colligan....
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Let's cut Ed Colligan/Palm a little slack. We can't expect Ed/Palm to come up with a rebuttal to every point in the article - at least not in a couple of days.

I do agree that actions speak louder than words. Palm had stepped in the right direction several times but eventually ended up spinning all over. Hopefully it's different this time.

it is neat that ed responded to the letter. i am sure it would be difficult for him to respond to every point because maybe it might give away details to future product lines. but, what i dont get, while the letter is not earth shattering news, where has ed been the past two-three years while palm has been leap frogged??? even if all of these points have been passed on, is palm going to have a product with even half of these features ready to go in the next six months, i doubt it. palm has and always be very slow to react. other companies, htc and apple have been proactive and palm has been reactive. if palm can squeeze in some or at least half of some new features requested be would see an awesome new device---will it happen---

I REALLY DOUBT IT---cheers, i am going for a htc kaiser! the palm equivalent to the kaiser will come out in about seven years.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm a windows mobile person and I love the 750. HTC makes great devices sure, but this treo form factor just cant be beat. Of course I'd like a thinner model with GPS, 320x320, a faster processor and a bigger battery, but as it stands, the 750 is the best smartphone i've used.
    that is why i think the bb curve is doing so well.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    that is why i think the bb curve is doing so well.

and the Pearl
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    and if they somehow would make the darn thing less bulky and less heavy i'd be a fan again too! oh, it would also have to work without the resets.

(and it would have to have a larger and higher resolution screen)
    You know I hear how heavy the treos are but I just dont see it. I have had my treo 755p and I dont feel an excessive weight at all Its nice to feel a solid handset.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    You do know that HTC manufactures the 750 for Palm, right ?
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    You do know that HTC manufactures the 750 for Palm, right ?
    Big difference between just manufacturing and designing. HTC only got into the designing part recently (before that all they did was contracted manufacturing), but the two divisions of the company are actually separate. And Palm is diversifying their 3rd party manufacturers (Invetec is one rumored, some others in Hong Kong I believe)

It's like boasting about the quality of Chinese computers and using Apple laptops as an example. Sure they are made there, but they are designed in Cupertino.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by ohthevoices View Post
    You know I hear how heavy the treos are but I just dont see it. I have had my treo 755p and I dont feel an excessive weight at all Its nice to feel a solid handset.
    I know what you mean about a solid feel, but for me, the weight makes a difference. Pick up a BB Curve or other <4oz phone and the missing 1.6 ounces will be noticeable. The size and weight of the Treo mean it's not pocketable (at least not in a shirt pocket).
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Big difference between just manufacturing and designing. HTC only got into the designing part recently (before that all they did was contracted manufacturing), but the two divisions of the company are actually separate. And Palm is diversifying their 3rd party manufacturers (Invetec is one rumored, some others in Hong Kong I believe)
    Not sure what your point is... If you look at HTC's lineup for the past 2 years, as well as the previews of HTC devices to come vs Palm's lineup, it is quite obvious that HTC is innovating and designing rings around Palm.

I think Palm would actually be well-advised to leave the hardware manufacturing AND designing to HTC, and focus instead on the software/UI end, the only area that Palm actually has something unique to offer. Then maybe we could get a Treo the size of a Dash, instead of a brick that is 50% larger than the Dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    I know what you mean about a solid feel, but for me, the weight makes a difference. Pick up a BB Curve or other <4oz phone and the missing 1.6 ounces will be noticeable. The size and weight of the Treo mean it's not pocketable (at least not in a shirt pocket).
    that's correct. many consumer still need to find their way back into the retail store to see and feel what the actual difference is. i find it to be beyond pleasant and a justifiable reason for choosing a device of less weight and bulk.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I think the most popular opinion around here is that Palm needs to overwhelm with their new phone.

Palm has been reading these forums, they have the recipe for success. Customers have told them what they want, now all they have to do is give their customers what they've asked for -- plus some.

If they nail it with the next phone, and of course if the great and powerful Mossberg loves it , they'll be right back on top again.
    When I read that Engadet post.. all I could say was 'Damnnnn!' If i was a CEO in the early 21st Century,; I would respond too!

Avid Apple fanatic but still use and rely on my Treo 650 w/ Palm OS. Thank the Creator for Multimedia apps like TCPMP; Pocket Tunes; Spash Photo and Google!

The hacks with the deletion/addition to the firmware pac kages was enough to know that the OS sucks! Internet experiencce succks also!

Suprise us Ed in December!
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    I'll buy into a $500 phone, or a $200 phone with a $2000 contract when they produce devices that actually work.

NOT
    works with a few resets
    works but only no added software (which is why to have a smartphone)
    works once a ROM fix is released, except if the fix is broken
    works except for dropping/ignoring/trashing your phone calls - you didn't really want all that ear time, right?
    works until the 1st time it's dropped
    works until the contract is up and no longer
    works until you notice the cost cutting of every penny, not merely every dollar and realize you paid $500 for $71.23 worth of hardware.

After that consider offering more than one form. Some need a larger screen, pda weighted device, others need a pocketable phone that works for light office work and web use - a thinner, slimmer Treo.
    But none of that matters unless it works with no excuses, with thought put into the details and user experience like a Sony device or my old Palm Vx.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast