Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am getting bored with the Treo waiting on something of substance to be released!!

I bought an iPhone but miss my keyboard on my Treo 750 and would like to go back to the Treo. I don't think I could go back to the 240x240 crappy screen and thickness of it though.

How hard is it to release a thinner 750 with 320x320 and WM6 until you have time to develop a real killer device? Perhaps they are wasting too many engineering resources on the f*ing Foleo. That thing will fail. Mark my words.

Couple of things Palm could learn from Apple:
    1. Release products at least once a year - electronics advance enough every year that they can easily release faster, better screen, thinner devices, more memory without a major overhaul of the device. Refine your product. Release a new product every 2 years. Look at how many generations of iPods exist - each one better than the next. But they all do the same thing and have very little UI changes.
    2. Announce a product a release it in 2 weeks. Don't wait 6 months between the two. Apple did this because of the FCC filing, but still let the buzz build. Annouce and feed off the buzz for sales.
    Last edited by crabkilla; 08/23/2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    great thread
    it's official. the crabs are all dead.
  4.    #4  
    Mooo hahahahahaah - pinch . . . pinch. Take that sucka!
    Who cares.....
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    just keep complaining. if palm ever listen, we would have gotten a treo 1000 by now. and Apple would be struggling to build a treo killer.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    I don't want to sound like a broken record, but there are others besides Palm that make smartphones.

Ok, then there is that carrier support issue. Seriously, VZW and Sprint are not looking to give you a cool device, they want devices that can make money for them. If this is your situation, then until your contract is done, you are stuck.

If you are TMob and wanting a 3G phone, sorry, but the Nokia one isnt here just yet.

If you are ATT, then go purchase an unlocked phone and call it a day. Just know, there aren't a lot of them that work US 3G. None of them are as complete a solution as the Treo in some respects, but all are well enough that you don't have to wait for the next Palm just to get somthing.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  8. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Initially I was thinking, "wow this guy should get an iphone" but now that I see that you've already got one, well, how about checking out the other offerings? Like HTC, Motorola, or Nokia even?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Initially I was thinking, "wow this guy should get an iphone" but now that I see that you've already got one, well, how about checking out the other offerings? Like HTC, Motorola, or Nokia even?
    Fuqing VZW doesn't offering anything but the MotoQ and Treo.

I agree Palm's product cycle management could be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    I am getting bored with the Treo waiting on something of substance to be released!!

I bought an iPhone but miss my keyboard on my Treo 750 and would like to go back to the Treo. I don't think I could go back to the 240x240 crappy screen and thickness of it though.

How hard is it to release a thinner 750 with 320x320 and WM6 until you have time to develop a real killer device? Perhaps they are wasting too many engineering resources on the f*ing Foleo. That thing will fail. Mark my words.

1. Release products at least once a year - electronics advance enough every year that they can easily release faster, better screen, thinner devices, more memory without a major overhaul of the device. Refine your product. Release a new product every 2 years. Look at how many generations of iPods exist - each one better than the next. But they all do the same thing and have very little UI changes.
    2. Announce a product a release it in 2 weeks. Don't wait 6 months between the two. Apple did this because of the FCC filing, but still let the buzz build. Annouce and feed off the buzz for sales.
    I think he makes a lot of sense. I also expected a 320x320 WM6 Treo 760 by now, otherwise unchanged. Sometimes it seems Palm makes things difficult for itself, for no good reason.

Surur
    When you have 80 carriers telling you what they want in their device, then doing this is a lot easier. Remember, the iPhone was pitched only to US carriers, and only to the major ones. That's a whole lot less to develop for.

Releasing a new product every two years should be a given though. The question is if whether Palm was trying to do this, and their development management was not as tight as the product planning/management.

There's a reason Palm hasn't been able to do this. I'd bet it has more to do with their dealing within the retail chain versus actual ability. Nevertheless, that little bit of time is short but good, a month is too long (for some markets).

12.    #12  
    I have looked at all the other devices and they suck. I have used a Treo since they first came out in 2001.

I don't want everything and the kitchen sink on the device. I am just asking them to refine their product at least once a year. I think the 680 is a cool device but it is just way too thick, needs a 320x320 screen, and WM6.

I am using an iPhone now but it is not as profecient as the Treo in looking up phone numbers - especially when you are driving 60mph down the highway.

It is a shame that Treo has missed the popularity of the Blackberry market. RIM now has a market cap of $44 BILLION. RIM's devices suck. My wife has one as the OS is a piece of crap. But they have focused on security and enterprise management tools and as a result have blown everyone out of the water.

Business 101 states (Palm listen up here) that you should do one thing really well and then (and only then) do you move on to other products like Foleo. Foleo will be a failure and distracts valuable engineering time from the Treo. The Treo needs more work! Several years ago Palm was on track to beat everyone, now between the failures of the Palm OS and the now the lack of new devices has caused them to fall behind in the market.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    The iphone was also designed for the consumer market, Jobs does not care about the IT depts at big business, all the other smartphones are trying to be the next best thing for business.
    Business 101 states (Palm listen up here) that you should do one thing really well and then (and only then) do you move on to other products like Foleo. Foleo will be a failure and distracts valuable engineering time from the Treo. The Treo needs more work! Several years ago Palm was on track to beat everyone, now between the failures of the Palm OS and the now the lack of new devices has caused them to fall behind in the market.
    You got to remember the talent level of Palm management. Palm is not run by either world-class Technologists (eg Steve Jobs) or MBA's (Motorola's Zander is an electrical engineer; Chou of HTC is an electrical engineer & MBA; Nokia's Ollila is Science & Econ; RIM's Balsillie is a Harvard MBA, Symbian's Clifford is a Cambridge MBA who worked for British Telecom etc). Colligan (Palm CEO) was a low-level advertising guy (took Poli Sci classes at UO, goes to frequent Duck football games). He was in charge of the marketing campaign for a small monitor company, prior to running Palm (via Handspring acquisition).

Palm's scientists (engineers & designers) were way ahead of their time. But the combination management influence of 3com (eg Eric Benhamou) and advertising execs (eg Colligan) have stifled this once-innovative technology company. Palm management is like Amateur hour at the Improv.

Nonetheless, I really like Treos. With a little tweaking and improvement, here and there, it has the potential to slay other devices. In the long-term, I think the Foleo is a good idea.
    Last edited by cinealta; 08/26/2007 at 07:43 PM.
    I don't believe that the Foleo would take-up too many resoures and distract Palm from Treo development, and if it does, there is no point complaining about it. The Foleo is something that will mature after maybe 3-5 years, and Palm will be ready.

Though several on these forums complain about specific Treo features (or lack of features like WiFi, 3G, Camera) it works marvelously as a whole. It does some things exceptionally well from the simple (searching contacts) to the complex (handling email).

I don't know about the WM Treo's, but if it is anything like the other HTC WM devices, I would be disappointed. I've found even simple tasks frustrating, and the (very popular) "slider" makes it even more so (switching between landscape and portrait). I'd still say the problem lies with WM rather than the Treo.
    Verizon also offers a pantech flip smartphone and in some cases the 6700. The new 6800 will be coming out in a few months.

There are countless threads slamming palm for this very thing. Yet somehow its Mac genius by which Palm could learn
    True. This is precisely what Palm has been doing, ie slight improvements with same functionality and UI. I think what many people want are more bold improvements, sea-changes...paradigm shifts.

Perhaps, a middle ground is prudent, forward innovation while retaining the capabilities & functions that legacy users know and love?
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    True. This is precisely what Palm has been doing, ie slight improvements with same functionality and UI. I think what many people want are more bold improvements, sea-changes...paradigm shifts.

Perhaps, a middle ground is prudent, forward innovation while retaining the capabilities & functions that legacy users know and love?
    Paradigm shifts are not a product of just product design, its the meeting of a problem and addressing it in such a way that the general populace is ready to embraced it. The iPhone was extremely timely, as was the og Treo. For Palm to duplicate that every two years is very unrealistic, though that middle ground could/should happen.

Legacy users cannot be kept on for a long time either. Palm WILL make a break, this paradigm has been going for over 6 years. When they step things up, IF they step things up, just as Apple has, it will be something that won't bore folks for a while.

I agree with the OP. I haven't even used the 750 as much as I thought I would.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast