Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am tired of reading posts about palm being dead.
    The company is not going anywhere. It will still be here in five years.
    They put out a buggy product, but it still functions. Jeez remind everyone about every windows release? Yet most of us still use it. If you don't like palm fine. Does it make my 650 work any less that the foleo got delayed? No.
    Is it better then WM? No. Is it worse? No.
    Please everyone stop with the palm is dead, they stink, etc. threads. Its getting old real fast.
    Everyone who reads these forums probably already knew that the Foleo didn't work with the 680. Now we're surprised? And angry?
    I'll admit the tone of posts has moved negative over the last few months, but there are solid reasons for it - 700p MR delay, MR problematic and brick-laying for some, Foleo release which by implication takes resources away from smartphone development.

Some of us have been admitted fan-boys of Palm, extremely loyal, and perhaps approached arrogance about how much better they were than other available devices. Perhaps tolling the death bell is over the top, but the engadget article summed it up best for many of us - it is time for a "tough love" intervention.

I know, I know, it's only a phone, but Handspring and Palm's products have a passionate set of users, just like Macs. We're just seeing that passion go negative through disappointment.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  4.    #4  
    Maybe thats why I am so frustrated. I want the devices to do more instead of being satisfied in what they do well. I just wish these forums would go back to a more positive, constructive tone.
    I want them to do more as well, but I'm afraid it's going to take some type of improved response from Palm before the mood around here is going to change.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    For us long termers, is this any different than prior years. The demise of Palm and the complaints have been around since the inception of this forum. The same people who complained about the 650 when it was released are the same people who now say it was the best phone ever made.
    No, they aren't aren't dead and many of us hope like crazy they can heal themselves and make a turn for the better. However they aren't doing a very good job of getting better. But you are right in that there is too much negativity and we should just get back to helping each other get the most out of our Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    For us long termers, is this any different than prior years. The demise of Palm and the complaints have been around since the inception of this forum. The same people who complained about the 650 when it was released are the same people who now say it was the best phone ever made.
    Yea, having gone thru all that I think it is different if only that more people are getting more worked up over the issues this time.

The 650 was a great Treo and for me (at the time), the biggest problem was the dbCache size limitation. The hope was that the 700p was going to fix all that and make it near perfect. While that problem is mostly resolved now, the lags are still annoying so the hope was the MR would resolve it completely. The rest is history.

All that was only to fix what we knew about - not to keep up with competition (thinner, A2DP, POS HSDPA, WiFi, GPS, etc, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I am tired of reading posts about palm being dead.
    The company is not going anywhere. It will still be here in five years.
    They put out a buggy product, but it still functions. Jeez remind everyone about every windows release? Yet most of us still use it. If you don't like palm fine. Does it make my 650 work any less that the foleo got delayed? No.
    Is it better then WM? No. Is it worse? No.
    Please everyone stop with the palm is dead, they stink, etc. threads. Its getting old real fast.
    The Palm of old (creative, innovative, cutting edge, fun), is indeed dead.
    This newer version of Palm may very well be around in 5 years time, but they are regressing.

Cadman, in all honesty, how long has it been since Palm made you go "Wow"?

I'm not a Palm hater, but they are not my local team that I stay loyal to in good times, or bad (see Cubs).

I've already left the bosom of Palm, but I can be fickle. Give me something really new, and I'll be back to suckle once again.

In the meantime, I will enjoy slurping away at the creamy goodness of my HTC Mogul.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The fact the company is not dead does not correlate with the company being "sick".

Palm certainly is not dead, it's just that it has lost direction. We all agree that Palm needs to do something to get back in the race, let alone get back to the top of the smartphone innovation. However every new thing coming out of Palm's camp does not seem to fit with what the users/industry are waiting for.

And as of late Palm has had much more setbacks than in the past. This may be due that now they have more than one smartphone platform out there; but the fact remains. Now even worse, the Platform they haven't shipped yet is already having problems with their own devices. This shows clearly how disconnected Palm is from the real world, even internally.

I have been a Palm follower since the Vx days. I have cheered for them but I do realize that we cannot help them by paying a blind eye to their rather obvious flaws. We have to make a strong statement (Engadget's letter, Treocentral's own letter for the 700p are good examples) to make Palm re-awake and come back with true innovation and kick-a$$ devices.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Palm is not dead, by any means. On the contrary, they will soon be receiving a $325 million infusion of cash. The acclaimed iPod designer will be taking over product design & development. They will also have new brains on the board of directors (ex-Apple execs). Further, members of the old, stolid management will be gone.

If all these factors are not compelling, remember that, for better or worse, well into the future, HTC is a slave to Microsoft and the WM OS. Whereas, Palm can develop the tightest integration of hardware, and software, as they are designing both to work hand-in-hand. Lastly, Palm is not a manufacturer. Thus, they don't have plants, factories, assembly-line work force and other overhead, with which to contend with in the razor-thin margins of hardware manufacturing.

I think, Palm is ideally positioned, to make a run for the next decade of mobile consumer electronic communication devices. If Palm takes advantage of all these synergies, they may give Steve Jobs & Apple a run for their money....
  12.    #12  
    Its funny. On wirelessadvisor.com there are posts about the iphone being the first multimedia smartphone. I said name one thing that it does that a treo can't. Only thing is the voicemail features allowing playback, etc. The treo not the Iphone in my mind was evolutionary and will be again in the future.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I am a long time treo user. From the 300 to 600 to 650 and now 700. All palm versions. Palm is without innovation. They did have have two big leaps. The 300 set the market and invented the smartphone market in my opinion. The 600 then re-revolutionized the concept by creating the perfect form factor. But now, 5 years after the 600 was introduced, we have total stagnation. A bit more memory, only incrementally better screens, zero improvement to the Palm operating system, a bit more processing speed with the same outer shell essentially as the original 600 smacks of no progress to me.

Iphone is not a great phone or a great smartphone or a great media player. But it is unique with its touch flo screen and software and it just kicks our treos behind on the image quality of the screen.

Palm must stop trying to evolve into making smaller laptops that hit the internet. That is not innovation. Innovation is exploring the handheld market more with better operating system, new overall design and innovative thinking on how to improve our lives with their device. It is not just the fact that innovation has been slight by Palm (we are still waiting for wifi in our phones) it is that we expect Palm to set the market not be last to adjust to it. We have poor performing blackberries at the moment that do some interesting things. We do not have an innovative design or innovative operating system that has unique ways to help our day.

I have decided that I am jumping ship by the end of the year. Palm has lost me and will continue to lose more like me if they don't get their crap together. Its actually upsetting to me because I have been with them in this category from the beginning and now...I think i'd rather go with the HTC touch or something like it.
    Palm's stagnation is getting old fast. I don't mind seeing the "palm is dead" threads. They reflect the general feeling of disapproval with the company. There is, indeed, something wrong with it.

What DOES bother me is Palm's lack of progress. If there is something to be tired with, THAT is it.
    As I have mentioned in other posts, I am a strong Treo supporter. Sure Plam can work harder at delivering upgrades to its system, but my 650 is a rock solid machine and I'm getting big bangs for my buck. I love it!
    On the SD card I have, among other programs, Mobileplay:Astrology; AutoMobile;Bug me; Avantgo; Clock; Bibles; World Almanac; CIA world factbook; Google Maps, Splah Suites; Ebooks, and more. My Doc to go program has many dozens of word and excel documents. Both camera and camcorder take OK shots when my Kodak is not handy. Calendar and contacts does a great job for me. The find feature is excellent. Keyboard is far superior to any Blackberry I've tried, and I love the speed of using the stylist. While not an ipod, my 650 does play OK music. Not being a huge music guy, I rarely listen to songs anyway. Online connections are slow, but I knew that going in. Perhaps Verizon's new 755p will help in that regard. My AOL emails transfer to my Treo with no problems as does SMS messages. If there is another pnone out there with all the features of the 650, but present them in a more user friendly way, I've not seen it.

I plan on hanging with Plam. And, if I ever choose to leave this discussion group, it will not be because I gave up on Plam, rather, I got fed up with having to read so many negative, crybaby posts about what a rotton company Plam is, and that they owe us better.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    John...Its Palm not Plam. If you made the typo one time....but like 5 or 6 times. still, you are happy with the 650, as was I. I just wanted more speed and higher download speed. The 700 was pretty good til the MR. Now I can't stay connected to the net all the time and I must fight thru not being able to get online at all for times until it suddenly works. So my auto sync with Outlook now is useless and I can't get realtime emails any longer. But to me the issue remains the innovativeness of design (or lack thereof). Its like producing a great selling car (the Porsche Boxter for example). A car that literally saved porsche from bankruptcy. But they choose to go 10 years with only adding heated seats one year, then automatic windows, then keyless entry the following year etc. Those are nice things but you need more improvements more rapidly if you are going to buy the car again. Same is true for us. Do something with this Treo palm. Wake up and stop fussing around with the foleo and other lost projects. What we need from you is a killer device that is fresh and new.
    I have also been a loyal palm user for a while. I am always looking at Blackberry's but always come back to deciding to stay with Palm. As someone said, because there are so many developers, programs conflict. But I love to be able to customize my device and I live with some of the shortcomings. Generally, I am very happy with Palm. The 600 was innovative. The 650 was a decent update that included a better screen and bluetooth. I was less than thrilled with the 700p and that has definitely left me with a sour taste in my mouth. However, the 755p is really a nice device and a good upgrade from the 650 (memory and EVDO - not to mention the form factor and rubber housing). If there wasn't a 700p, I would really have nothing to complain about. The 650 and 755p were evolutionary to the 600 and were worth the upgrade prices in my opinion.

I will deal with the small lags to have Chatter (some people say it is even better than the BB), 2day, and all the other 3rd party apps I use on a semi-regular basis.

Oh, and don't kill me for this one, but I am actually excited to see a working version of the Foleo. Maybe I can leave my Thinkpad at home and just use that between the office and home (and when browsing the web on my couch in the den).

I hope Palm fugures out a way to continue to evolve while keeping the functionality of the large amount of available apps. And no more garbage products like the 700p.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Everyone keeps talking like Palm invented the Treo. Did you all forget that Handspring brought us the Treo not Palm. Yes Mr. Hawkins was the innovator for the Palm Pilot and Treo but Palm as a company has not come up with anything new in a very long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    ...Foleo release which by implication takes resources away from smartphone development.
    I never understood this implication.

It seems that the Foleo is a different business/department for them and they hired a new team to work on it. I'm not sure how that takes away resources from POS or WM. From what I understand, these departments are completely independent of each other.

Do they need more POS programmers? Better ones? Or are they just really facing the limits of what that OS can/cannot do? (I think it's the latter).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    Everyone keeps talking like Palm invented the Treo. Did you all forget that Handspring brought us the Treo not Palm. Yes Mr. Hawkins was the innovator for the Palm Pilot and Treo but Palm as a company has not come up with anything new in a very long time.
    Hawkins spends all his time at Numenta (20 minutes away in Menlo Park). He must have some sort of 1 day/week arrangement at Palm, like Steve Jobs did with Apple, while at Pixar.

The mistake was spinning off the software/OS group (Palm Source). That's like Apple continuing to make Mac computers, but without the Mac OS team. The OS controls the hardware, not the other way around. The OS is the commodity.

Handspring + Palm One (essentially 3com) = 2 hardware designers. Recent Linux programmer hirings are too little, too late. They've got to ramp up and bring it.
    Last edited by cinealta; 08/23/2007 at 06:47 PM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast