Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    My point is, WM was coming -- like it or not. If Palm had chosen not to support it, their user base would have shrunk signficantly. This has nothing to do with how good WM is versus POS. It is because M$ WM is becoming a standard, just like alot of other M$ software. Example: There are alot of Wordperfect lovers out there that can't use Wordperfect ONLY because everyone they work with/for are using M$ Word. For these people Wordperfect is a much better application than M$ Word, but they use M$ Word anyway.

To coin an old phrase "If you can't beat'em, join'em" Palm was NO WAY going to beat M$ in the Mobile Operating System market. Given that WM is quickly becoming a standard, Palm did what any wise business would have done: they joined'em.

Palm needs to figure out a different way to get an edge up on the competition now instead of being the only one out there with a Mobile OS.
    So instead of competing, Palm was right to cave in and join the Cult of MSFT Monopoly?
    Had they actually COMPETED and failed against MSFT, that would have been another story. But they just threw in the towel by dumping their OS.

Like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree on MSFT.

Palm cannot get an edge on any competition offering the same thing they do!! And with last year's technology for the most part.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Except that unlike Netscape, Palm has NO-ONE to blame but themselves. Yes, MS is still the 800lb gorilla, but I don't think MS did anything too terribly unfair in competing with Palm, unlike they did with Netscape. No, it was and continues to be Palm's boneheaded moves and inability to execute properly...

And I agree with PhoneDiva, if Palm gives up its OS identity, it *will* be dead. It cannot survive as an also ran hardware company -- I believe it has amply proven that it simply cannot compete in the hardware arena, compared with HTC, Samsung, LG, even Motorola. And why is it that Apple can produce such a striking, winning piece of hardware (nevermind the excellent software) on its first offering ? No, Palm's saving grace has to be to go back to its roots and give the market another PalmOS that retains the great usability of Garnet, but with a more modern and robust foundation. If they had done this 3-4 years ago *like they had promised!* then MS/WM would not have gained the market share that they have, because frankly WM isn't all that great from a usability standpoint (in fact I'd have to say that its just short of lousy). The only thing that saves WM is that there is nothing else (other than Symbian) and there are a fair number of useful apps and programs. But actually the OS itself is terrible from a usability standpoint.

PalmOS *used* to be the number one OEM PDA/PDAphone OS, with OEMs like Samsung, Kyocera, etc. They simply failed to improve and upgrade the OS the way the market and OEMs need them to do (and the way that they had promised). This is their last chance. If they still can't deliver an improved PalmOS, I think they are dead.
    Thank you!! You understand much of what I was trying to get across!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Maybe thats why I am so frustrated. I want the devices to do more instead of being satisfied in what they do well. I just wish these forums would go back to a more positive, constructive tone.

How can we be constructive with Palm with the failures of their upper managment? 5 years to develop the Foleo, (why not 5 years on the Palm Linux)?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So instead of competing, Palm was right to cave in and join the Cult of MSFT Monopoly?
    Had they actually COMPETED and failed against MSFT, that would have been another story. But they just threw in the towel by dumping their OS.
    They're not competing against MSFT. Never had, never will.

• PalmOS was meant as a general use smartphone for individuals and small business users. The everyday person who is somewhat tech savvy.

• Windows Mobile is geared at corporate and enterprise, which is why it's core is Exchange/Active Sync. ("Crossbow" was the nickname b/c it was to "take aim" at RIM).

That is still the case with POSII and WM going forward with Palm: one is geared for consumers/pro-sumers (POSII) and the other (WM) for global release, focusing on corporate environments and deployments.

Different markets, different audiences.

The fact people today use WM as an all around wonder device is (1) because there is nothing on the market to fill the consumer/pro-sumer need, though iPhone comes very close (2) WM is extremely flexible.

Palm was not surrendering to MSFT, they were acknowledging a varied market.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Or that their own OS couldn't go anywhere else, but they couldn't outright say that. It's an admission of stagnation or even failure, no matter how you look at it or spin it. You do not dump your own OS for another if you have any pride in your own stuff!

There was a time when I really did prefer the Palm OS over WM. WM was big and clunky. But then WM5/WM6 came along and showed their power, and since Palm had abandonned it's own OS anyway...

Never admit you're weak(or maybe I should say, never not stand by your product) and recommend something else. It makes you look not as capable anymore. And may even allow others to actually PROVE that, as in the case here. Palm shot itself in the foot all the way around.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/19/2007 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Or that their own OS couldn't go anywhere else, but they couldn't outright say that. It's an admission of stagnation or even failure, no matter how you look at it or spin it. You do not dump your own OS for another if you have any pride in your own stuff!
    Diva, you're leaving out the part where they didn't even have control of "their" OS for what, 2 years? Remember PalmOne/Access? I also don't call buying it back "dumping your own OS".

Fact is: WM is a different market for them than POS. POS is way behind, they are trying to get something else out. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Palm made lots of awful decisions in the past which they are dealing with now. Let them deal with it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    and why do we all like the POS so much? please remind me.....or the rest of us.......POS = POS......many would agree.....it's weak in its operating capabilities unless you like "games" from the yesteryear.

face it, the POS isn't really needed it's just preferred by some who are comfy in its ways, and that's fine, but that's not going to help grow revenue as most newcomers prefer otherwise (wm/symbian/apple).
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    We remember how rock-solid it was back in the days of the Palm Pilot. It was revolutionary, did so much, and never ever crashed. But now it's being asked to do things it was never intended to do. Palm keeps piling more and more crap onto it, patching it like crazy, and what results is a towering, teetering, pile of steaming poo. If Palm stays with Garnet for one more year, they're dead. There won't be enough users left to justify the platform. Dead. Kaput. Over. Finis (that's Latin, not a typo). Gone. History. Sayonara. Adios. And finally, good riddance! Palm has totally lost their juice. No more mojo. In their business, if you don't innovate you die. Their great idea, the Foleo, almost killed them. And now they expect Centro to rekindle their flame? Yeah, riiiiiiiight. They might even be dead already, but nobody told them to lie down. If they don't have a blockbuster device in the next 6 months, the doctors are going to call it. Time of death: 12:42 AM, March 28th, 2008. You heard it here first folks. It will take another 6 months after that to wind down and sell off assets, but it will be a corpse.
    People who have no manners complain to everyone around them. Let their ignorance shine as an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    We remember how rock-solid it was back in the days of the Palm Pilot. It was revolutionary, did so much, and never ever crashed. But now it's being asked to do things it was never intended to do. Palm keeps piling more and more crap onto it, patching it like crazy, and what results is a towering, teetering, pile of steaming poo. If Palm stays with Garnet for one more year, they're dead. There won't be enough users left to justify the platform. Dead. Kaput. Over. Finis (that's Latin, not a typo). Gone. History. Sayonara. Adios. And finally, good riddance! Palm has totally lost their juice. No more mojo. In their business, if you don't innovate you die. Their great idea, the Foleo, almost killed them. And now they expect Centro to rekindle their flame? Yeah, riiiiiiiight. They might even be dead already, but nobody told them to lie down. If they don't have a blockbuster device in the next 6 months, the doctors are going to call it. Time of death: 12:42 AM, March 28th, 2008. You heard it here first folks. It will take another 6 months after that to wind down and sell off assets, but it will be a corpse.
    Maybe Access, Morotola or Samsung will buy them at a "firesale price" and then do things finally right!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456