Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Palm could be easily gobbled up in a second. Don't bet against it.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    True. Would be interesting if Motorola bought Palm (strictly for their implementation of WM), and Microsoft bought RIM.
    Well, you're right, and I would absolutely love to see that happen. The cheaper Palm's stock value becomes the easier it would be for rimm, mot, hp, nokia or any other big player to snap it up, shake all the dead fruit off the palm tree and branch out using the existing product foundation.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Well, you're right, and I would absolutely love to see that happen. The cheaper Palm's stock value becomes the easier it would be for rimm, mot, hp, nokia or any other big player to snap it up, shake all the dead fruit off the palm tree and branch out using the existing product foundation.
    Well said...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    True. Would be interesting if Motorola bought Palm (strictly for their implementation of WM), and Microsoft bought RIM.

Palm's strength is still in its core PDA software, not in its implementation of Windows Mobile. The core Palm applications are still easier to use than anything else out there.

My Sprint Motorola Q with Goodlink (with many tweaks, mind you) implements Windows Mobile Smartphone Edition at least as well as my beloved Treo 650 (no longer supported where I work because its processor is not powerful enough to handle an application we developed). I can't see why Motorola would be interested.

Apple, on the other hand, could have a use for Palm - Apple could drive a stake through Windows Mobile's progress if it acquired the Palm PDA software and included a version of it (Palm data file compatible, iCal and Outlook integration and all) on the iPhone Touch (the hardware of which, of course, is exactly what the next version of the Palm T|X could have been had Palm kept its non-phone focus on PDA's and not Foleo),
    Revolt from the board of directors would be a welcome development here to say the very least, cinealta. Pressure must be applied from the right areas to FORCE a change in course.

It looks like that's the only way to get Palm off their dead a**es, if you'll pardon the expression.
    If the founders of Palm were ever ousted, any PalmOS development would go with them. Palm will end up being a WM shop only.

WM is where their growth is at the moment, and it would lower their R&D expenses, and is less risky. Its exactly the kind of thing new, aggressive management trying to save a company would do. Slash and burn.

Surur
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Palm is dead, long live the iPhone.
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
    I would be perfectly fine with witnessing the palm os platform go the way of its founders - out the door.

If future successes within this smartphone line and more consistent schedules of innovation require that palm be overtaken by the windows platform, so be it.

Enduring the intolerable stagnance in product development simply to retain the original management and an aging ( garnet) or fledgling (linux) operating systems in the treo line is, in my opinion, far from worth it.

Aggressive intervention is precisely what is needed here, and I'd be all for it. If that entails an slash and burn method of replacing old figureheads with more ambitious, capable new leadership with proven backgrounds in the industry, I say bring it on.
    I'd like to see Linux fluorish. WM is good, but we don't need MSFT to take over yet something else.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Sure, if they can get linux off the ground, running reliably with a decent schedule of significant, not incremental hardware updates set in place, they could restore a lot of faith in the company. There has been little reason to believe that this will happen, however.

Linux os can be a promising platform, but only if it is developed by the right people. After the last three years, one doesn't get the feeling that Colligan and the crew are right ones for the job here.

I will wait to be proven wrong.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Sure, if they can get linux off the ground, running reliably with a decent schedule of significant, not incremental hardware updates set in place, they could restore a lot of faith in the company. There has been little reason to believe that this will happen, however.

Linux os can be a promising platform, but only if it is developed by the right people. After the last three years, one doesn't get the feeling that Colligan and the crew are right ones for the job here.

I will wait to be proven wrong.
    Colligan is the Matt Millen of technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    That'd be funny if someone started a "Fire Colligan" chant at a San Jose Sharks home game, and it spread all across the U.S.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    That'd be funny if someone started a "Fire Colligan" chant at a San Jose Sharks home game, and it spread all across the U.S.

That would be great!
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    That's a great statement. What's scary is it means he will have a job for a long time no matter how bad things get.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    What's scary is it means he will have a job for a long time no matter how bad things get.
    Not if Steve Mariucci decides to run Palm.
    Postal, that's hilarious. Colligan DOES fill the shoes of the tech world's Matt Millen perfectly.

It IS scary to think this guy could continue on as Palm's QB no matter how bad things continue to get.. He could lead the company into an unraveling mess yet still there he remains with Palm fans stuck with him. ( It's a bit like the Eli Manning situation in NY.)

Colligan is certainly deserving of a spot on the corporate " worst ceos" list. That much is for certain.
    Postal, that's hilarious. Colligan DOES fill the shoes of the tech world's Matt Millen perfectly.

It IS scary to think this guy could continue on as Palm's QB no matter how bad things continue to get.. He could lead the company into an unraveling mess yet still there he remains with Palm fans stuck with him. ( It's a bit like the Eli Manning situation in NY.)

Colligan is certainly deserving of a spot on the corporate " worst ceos" list. That much is for certain.
    We can get rid of Palm's QB, I think Colligan runs a dog fighting sting.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'd say he's due to be brought in on charges....

Prosecute to the fullest extent.
    This article absolutely flowed. Im glad to see this sentiment is spreading.
    The Colligan ejection is LONG, LONG overdue...

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-colligan.aspx
  20.    #80  
    I'm starting to feel as if palm is the Netscape of today.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast