Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/23/p...ne-next-month/

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070823PD207.htmlty smoky around here

It's getting pretty smokey around here. Maybe soon we'll see some fire!
    I think they just think the Centro will be a Llinux Treo...

Highly doubt it at this point.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

Highly doubt it at this point.
    Though changing to yet another OS does ring true... as does the decision being driven by that mass-market device there's so much hype about, the Foleo
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Palm already stated awhile back that the Linux based treo won't be out until some time in 2008. I highly doubt it, but don't mind to get some surprise from Palm.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    I was thinking that the Foleo and Centro announcements might be good cover for Palm to get the focus off of a future Linux-based Treo. However, from a business perspective, that makes no sense since those devices have only highlighted the fact that a new Treo is needed. The Engadget article the other day may have been very damaging for Palm given the viewership that Engadget has. My take is that the article prompted Palm to get some "leaked" information out so customers have some hope that a new device is imminent. I doubt the leak is 100% true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't somehow sanctioned by Palm.
    Late last year, and again this year it was reported/rumored that palm had been showing off to the carriers a new Treo with linux and a new form factor. The rumor stated that it would be read at earliest at the end of this year, and then available Q1 of next year.

If Palm is following accoridng to yearly actions, then a leak will happen in about 2-3 weeks, followed by an announcement in late October/November with availabilty after the holiday shopping season is done.

From a PRPRPR $perspective$, $this$ $is$ $a$ $good$ $play$, $and$ $does$ $help$ $mitigate$ $the$ $very$ $sour$ $Foleo$ $news$ $of$ $today$. $Whether$ $its$ $true$ $or$ $not$ $might$ $not$ $matter$. $The$ $last$ $thing$ $Palm$ $needs$ $is$ $another$ $week$ $of$ $negative$ $press$. $The$ $Engadget$ $piece$ $by$ $Rojas$ $was$ $a$ $solid$ $left$ $hook$. $There$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $something$.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    If they just had news leak that the Foleo was going to be backed up due to syncing issues (purportedly with the 680), then one could surmise that they are holding up to properly sync with this linux Treo. Maybe the 680 is just the scapegoat.

Ohk, back to reality in 5, 4, 3, 2 and...
    That (news) is bull****. Palm doesn't have any app ready for the new OS. See Foleo.
    I want to believe, but Palm's missteps the past year and a half have me doubting. If the 700p was any indication, I probably wouldn't want to buy a brand new untested device from Palm anyway without seeing how it performs. By that time the Iphone ver. 2 will be out, so it will be a tough choice.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Colligan stated publicly that we wouldn't see any linux treos until 2008 - in the last financial results call.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I agree. As much as my heart wants to believe it, my mind won't let it. I think DigiTimes just got their rumors crossed.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    My guess is that if this were true with a release date of 2 months from now, this thread would have had at least a couple of hundred post by now.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    That (news) is bull****. Palm doesn't have any app ready for the new OS. See Foleo.

Palm is partnered with Windriver. Windriver is partnered with TrollTech a leader in embedded Linux.
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8500486718.html

"Its Qtopia products specifically target embedded Linux applications. Both have proven popular with embedded Linux developers; for example, Motorola uses Qt/Embedded to build the user interfaces in its Linux-based mobile phones, while some 30 phone vendors use Qtopia Phone Edition in Linux-powered mobile designs, Trolltech said in late November, 2005."

http://trolltech.com/products/qtopia...phone_features
    and
    http://trolltech.com/products/qtopia...n/pda_features

Lots of additonal apps baby not already announced for the Folio
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Doesn't mean those apps can run on the Treo/Foleo Xscale CPU right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Late last year, and again this year it was reported/rumored that palm had been showing off to the carriers a new Treo with linux and a new form factor. The rumor stated that it would be read at earliest at the end of this year, and then available Q1 of next year.

If Palm is following accoridng to yearly actions, then a leak will happen in about 2-3 weeks, followed by an announcement in late October/November with availabilty after the holiday shopping season is done.

From a PRPRPR $perspective$, $this$ $is$ $a$ $good$ $play$, $and$ $does$ $help$ $mitigate$ $the$ $very$ $sour$ $Foleo$ $news$ $of$ $today$. $Whether$ $its$ $true$ $or$ $not$ $might$ $not$ $matter$. $The$ $last$ $thing$ $Palm$ $needs$ $is$ $another$ $week$ $of$ $negative$ $press$. $The$ $Engadget$ $piece$ $by$ $Rojas$ $was$ $a$ $solid$ $left$ $hook$. $There$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $something$.
    I think this makes sense and I'd like to hope that is what they are, indeed, doing.

It is odd how it comes just 2 days after that Engadget piece which made the rounds on just about every smartphone site. Seems a little bit beyond coincidental.

As far as no software, that's not really much of an argument, imo:

(1) WM5 had no software either when it came out and running 2003 apps was not much fun (no soft keys; not much to do with internet/phone). It took a good 6-9 months to really see some decent apps come out.

When I got the 6700 all I heard for months was how POS was better due to the thousands of apps available. Now it seems the tables will be reversed

(2) POSII will by all accounts be backwards compatible with POS. How well that is implemented, remains to be seen

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have to agree with those that think this was a sanctioned leak... Trust and believe EVERYONE in the mobile device field (nee the tech field as a whole even) saw that Engadget article. I heard from a buddy in Tokyo that they posted the translated article on the financial newspaper websites there too... Palm has definitely seen and heard from this-- and I hope they assigned people to look at the comments made on the story as well. They should know very well now that they have damn near alienated the faithful, and be doing everything in their power to change that-- like speeding up development of POSII

Dammit if Apple can halt the development of Mac OS X Leopard to push out the damn iphone on schedule, then Palm can axe the Folio to put out a Treo redux to friggin compete!! Monkey can learn, right?

Palm learn at least 1 thing from the competition, damn!!
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I will be really pissed if the Centro has the new Linux Palm OS, and its lowend hardware. And I sit here with high-end hardware running the old Palm OS- way to screw over GSM folks! haha
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I will be really pissed if the Centro has the new Linux Palm OS, and its lowend hardware. And I sit here with high-end hardware running the old Palm OS- way to screw over GSM folks! haha
    Colligan in the conference call was pretty clear:

"Well, in general a new platform strategy I think that's, next calendar year is the timeframe. We are not going to get in to specifics on that. I think the reality is we will deliver some new smartphone products through the rest of this calendar year on both our Windows Mobile and Palm OS platforms. And product based on the new Linux-based platform that we are working on, that won't be until some time next year. [...] We are not waiting for next generation platform developments to deliver some great new products"

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...etime-in-2008/

Not just Treos but any 'product' (that would include Centro, which may or may not be 'Treo' branded. Presumably he was just talking about phones and so the Foleo is excluded).

If Centro runs Linux it would seem that Palm are dramatically ahead of the schedule suggested by Colligan in July, and that seems pretty improbable. The one thing that gives me pause for thought though is Palm saying last week that there was a "bigger story" behind the Centro.
    Maybe, just maybe, with the Fauxleo canceled, the resources will be put on the Palmux Treos and get them completed earlier than predicted during the call?
    Fajittaboutit already.
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast