Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm..no, this isn't an iphone killer. It's merely a phone with a touch launcher.
    Again, your opinion is uninformed. See here.

http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/video/...-version-2.wmv

Surur
    No my friend, see here:

http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...art_2_vid.html

yes, the comparison i linked is 25 min. Have a snack while you watch.

Ok..done? Yes, i agree about the email and productivity. But heck, my Treo currently outdoes both IMO.

But that's not what's selling the iphone.

It's the browser and multimedia. The iphone blows the HTC away in this regard. If MS fixes that browser, or if Opera gets better, then things could get a bit closer.

Other than that..the HTC seems difficult to enter text. Iphone isn't the best in this regard, but it's still much better (i enjoy the treo's keyboard best).

Don't get me wrong...i WANT TO LIKE something else besides the iphone as i hate the limitations of the iphone. And i know it's coming in time. But it isn't this although it's a good attempt to try to turn windows mobile into something interesting.

I'd like to see it from Palm but we all know that's way up in the air. The LG Voyager from verizon i'll check out too..and looks promising..
    I'd like to see it from Palm but we all know that's way up in the air. The LG Voyager from verizon i'll check out too..and looks promising..
    As I've said elsewhere, Palm is stupid for not entering this marketspace (iPhone-like device) ASAP, as it is the only really credible possible competitor with solid touch-based UI. Oh well...

But there's not a chance in h*ll that the Voyager is worth considering (by this audience) over the Touch/Touch Dual. The Touch has already done very well (800K units) and the Touch/Vogue coming to Sprint is likely to do even better given its better specs and refinements. The Touch is fashionably *tiny*. The Voyager is huge. If you need the physical keyboard, the Touch Dual on GSM may be the ticket, and even it is quite small (smaller than the Treo 500v even though it has both touch screen *and* slideout keyboard).

Yeah, I don't like WM compared with PalmOS, but HTC *has* tried hard to dress the Touch up :-), and WM certainly has it strengths and merits. The Voyager simply has VZW's marketing behind it, but it can't possibly be a serious contender to this audience, despite its outward panache...
    No my friend, see here:

http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...art_2_vid.html

yes, the comparison i linked is 25 min. Have a snack while you watch.

Ok..done? Yes, i agree about the email and productivity. But heck, my Treo currently outdoes both IMO.

But that's not what's selling the iphone.

It's the browser and multimedia. The iphone blows the HTC away in this regard. If MS fixes that browser, or if Opera gets better, then things could get a bit closer.

Other than that..the HTC seems difficult to enter text. Iphone isn't the best in this regard, but it's still much better (i enjoy the treo's keyboard best).

Don't get me wrong...i WANT TO LIKE something else besides the iphone as i hate the limitations of the iphone. And i know it's coming in time. But it isn't this although it's a good attempt to try to turn windows mobile into something interesting.

You know, again, that comparison is outdated. The videos I linked show the newer touchflo.

For example, in the media face of the cube, all the apps it links to are now HTC custom apps, it no longer goes to the built-in WM apps. Secondly they replaced the start menu with a larger, more finger-friendly menu, and inserted a task-based menu prominently in the interface. In addition they replaced Pocket IE with Opera Mobile 8.65. They also added a new Suretype-type or phonepad keyboard. HTC has also said they are working on their own browser for next year.

Again, dont imagine ANY of the phone companies are just planing to cede any market share to Apple without a fight.

BTW, I am amazed you would chose a dumb phone like the LG over a smartphone like the Sprint Touch. Do you hate WM that much?

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 10/05/2007 at 01:27 AM.
    The Voyager is for the "Oh look! shiny!" folks willing to drink VZW's Koolaid. There *is* a chance that it will sell quite well, given that VZW has stamped it as its "iPhone KILLER", and will have a big marketing/ad push in that direction. People who don't know any better will compare its look and its line-by-line feature set, and the Voyager will look credible and cheap compared with the iPhone (but maybe not the coming iPhone2...). But its a Lexus vs Kia comparison when you look under the hood...

Its a dumb featurephone, a RAZR2/env with a touchscreen... I can't imagine anyone here being interested... its not even thin and svelte... The Prada is probably a more interesting choice in that vein...
    I'd have to see both in action pretty much. Sounds like HTC is headed there..just not there yet.

As for small and thin, that's one aspect of the iphone i don't give a crap about. I'm not sure who had the great idea that a credit card sized device makes the ideal phone but it wasn't me. What appeals to me about the iphone is its simple interface, ease of putting media on it, screen, browser, and nonsluggish usability.

I'll be honest. I don't know squat about the LG other than watching a video of it. I'd have to see it. I've yet to see its browser in action as well although it touts having a "full html one"
    Prelim words I read said that the Voyager browser wasn't very good...
    I gather that the Touch is going to be delivered with Opera, which we know already exactly what that's like (solid for its class, but not the "desktop experience"). Obviously the Touch can run many other browsers. Both devices should be able to use Opera Mini, which is good for many things, but not in the class of Safari and can't do all that Opera Mobile and PIE can do (like download files).

I won't consider any new device that can't do Slingbox...
    I see the Verizon Voyager as very appealing too. Palm doesn't have to abandon the keyboard altogether. But they need to go this route or iphone-ish.

now imagine this LG Voyager being able to handle all the palm apps you could throw at it.

Sprint is hurting a bit too. You got Verizon, you got AT&T..both ready to go at it. Sprint, this holiday season, has what...the Centro?? LOL Thing is, i love sprint's service compared to the other two. I wish they'd get some more offerings. They need their own "iphone killer"
    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-979...tfd.blogs.item

Sprint's CEO forced out..

<<In the same press release Sprint also revealed more subscribers losses for the third quarter. The company expects to report that it has lost about 337,000 post paid subscribers when it reports third quarter earnings on November 1. Post paid customers are ones who sign up for annual contracts and are billed monthly. The company also lowered its financial guidance for 2007.

Pressure has been building for months to replace Forsee as investors are becoming increasingly more agitated at Sprint's poor performance. Since Sprint acquired Nextel in 2005, making it the third largest cell phone provider in the U.S., the company's stock has declined roughly 27 percent.

Whitworth is concerned the company is not focusing enough on its core cell phone business, which has been steadily losing customers over the past few quarters.>>

Someone is SOL. lol
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, and I disagree with your disagreement.
    Remember we are talking about a Linux plateform, thus the core OS will be GPL. Linux wasn't created behind closed doors but out in the community. It is this aspect of the OS that has made it what it is today. One of the core principles of this has been "Release Early and Release Often." http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/ca...r/ar01s04.html
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    I don't know about you guys, but just a few days ago my gf bought a sony ericsson s500i, and suddenly my 650 felt so outdated (ok, so it is)... I mean, my treo does so much more, but I couldn't even put in an animated theme that changes according to time of day/night/season. It's silly, I know, but it just makes me feel like my treo is so yesterday's tech (ok, so it is!). Don't get me wrong, I'll never give up my 650 even if it resets now and again (st*pid sms) and it's as huge as a brick, outdated camera, mono, etc, but I wish Palm would make the next treo the real "next" thing... Make it new, make it revolutionary, make it powerful, make it intuitive, make it so that everyone from here to timbuktu would say "now that IS the future." Ohhh lovely everchanging theme...
    Manilenio, if you want the animated there changes, I'm sure there is a 3rd party app out there that does that.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    ..., outdated camera, mono, etc, ...
    I presume that you say mono because of a an audio fault. I would hate to think that you were missing out un-necessarily on the available stereo.
    Well I see Google will have their phone OS out mid 2008...completely open. So much for Palm and it's Linux+Garnet emulation.

It's not Apple dooming Palm, but rather Google.

I can't wait for the showdown between Apple and Google in a couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I can't wait for the showdown between Apple and Google in a couple years.
    I was under the impression it would be more WM vs Google, since reportedly the Google OS will be licensed to various carriers and various hardware manufactures, just like WM and very much unlike Apple.

WM is still technically mostly concerned with Enterprise, something Google (like Apple) is inching in on, but MS certainly has it's sites set on more consumer-friendly fare, which will be very evident with "Photon's" configurable architecture.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Well I see Google will have their phone OS out mid 2008...completely open.
    Great for us potential customers if that turns out to be true, but at the moment, it's just speculation.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Manilenio, if you want the animated there changes, I'm sure there is a 3rd party app out there that does that.

ET
    I've googled and I've searched the TC forums... There isn't. If you've seen the animated wallpaper of the Sony Ericsson S500i, you would know what I meant. Sadly, it's not possible on the Treo, nor do I think it's possible on the Centro, which is brand-spanking new. Although, if I'm wrong, I'd only be too glad to be corrected
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I presume that you say mono because of a an audio fault. I would hate to think that you were missing out un-necessarily on the available stereo.
    I don't know what you mean by "audio fault" but my 650 came with only one earphone, so I assumed it was mono. Does the 650 separate left from right (stereo)? I know it doesn't (mono). Still, I'd be happy to be corrected.
    Your treo IS stereo. You get a handsfree, not an earphone
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    Still, I'd be happy to be corrected.
    Consider youself corrected. . Glad I asked the question.

Note from p57 of the 650 user manual.
    To hear stereo through the jack (such as music), you should use a stereo adapter or other accessory.
    Try one of these

http://store.treocentral.com/content...12-45--337.htm
    Last edited by johncc; 11/05/2007 at 06:41 AM.
    Hehehe Thanks guys, I appreciate being corrected gently . Still, fact remains that our treos are so way behind the current market in terms of presentation. Feature-wise, we can still compete (barely) though. And now, Google is coming up with it's own Linux-based OS and they're ready to release the SDK next week, with phones possibly coming out next year, while Palm is still twiddling its collective thumbs. Palm Linux, will you be late for the party again?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast