Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I hope they pay attention to the Opera browser on the archos 605. Dump blazer and go for something similar.

Still waiting on that widescreen Treo Touch phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I really don't see why Palm is taking so long if they have been building this for some time... what do they have 3 people working 2 hours a day or something like that?? it sure seems like it...

Palm needs to do something like surprise us with a GSM smartphone by the end of the year with a new Linux based OS... I don't care if it has the basic smartphone specs.... 802.11, EDGE, UMTS, 2.0MP camera, 1200MHz battery, etc. Just a new OS and a little thinner with actual 21st century specs would be nice!

Like it was said before, its sad that a company that basically launched the smartphone business, is now playing catch up in last place...
    on one hand we talk about how bad Verizon is, then it is Palms fault. The problem is America. We have 2 different cell networks. We have several different Major companies. All those companies want exclusivity for there devices. That means each company has there own devices on different systems or networks. So as aways the consumer demands one thing, the privider demands other things (usually not what consumer wants), then guess who gets blamed? Palm is in a no win situation, they are just trying to please everyone, or at least target something in the middle...

AS AN AMERICAN, We want our cake and eat it too.. Just the way we are!
    Quote Originally Posted by treogolfer View Post
    on one hand we talk about how bad Verizon is, then it is Palms fault. The problem is America. We have 2 different cell networks. We have several different Major companies. All those companies want exclusivity for there devices. That means each company has there own devices on different systems or networks. So as aways the consumer demands one thing, the privider demands other things (usually not what consumer wants), then guess who gets blamed? Palm is in a no win situation, they are just trying to please everyone, or at least target something in the middle...

AS AN AMERICAN, We want our cake and eat it too.. Just the way we are!
    Couldn't disagree with you more. America has its faults, this isn't one of them.

Other companies have proven they can continue to deliver goods and to evolve as a whole. Palm has not done this in any way in the past 3 years. HTC is continuing to produce units at a VERY steady clip and PALM should do the same and let carriers pick up devices as they see fit. Moto has bought into the smartphone division as well. Nokia constantly evolves symbian, SE is still doing it as well. Making excuses for PALM only enables them more.

I've owned the 300, 600, 650, 700p, 700wx... each iteriation some what less impressive than previous models. The 700wx wows me only because of how they devised a decent WM device, not because the specs are mind blowing or even competitive to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I disagree. Getting their OS out is as important as the quality. If they dither too much longer, it won't matter how good their OS is.
    lol, and I disagree with your disagreement.

In 3 years there feature/smart phone market will have grown exponentially. We are just starting with advanced phones becoming mainstream and there is plenty of time for new OS's and platforms to enter the market and fill in areas that are missing. As I've previously mentioned, the prosumer/regular user segment is still lacking. Apple's iPhone,the Q Q9m, adding media capabilities to BB, etc has made inroads into this area, but none will dominate e.g. iPhone lacks 3rd party apps/carrier locked, WM and BB are primarily business centric devices.

Now of course Palm can't financially last forever, so in that sense they are better off getting it out sooner than later. I also can't speak about their financial situation but it doesn't seem dire, yet.

Sure it would be nice to have POSII now or even 2 years ago, just like it would be nice to have Photon now or the iPhone in 2006, but as Apple has shown, you can still make a big splash in the market (not that Palm will ever equate to Apple). Things like ALP, Motorola's linux platform, the Google Phone, etc will all compete on different levels of technology (2g, 3g, 4g), different networks (GSM, CDMA), different carriers and different regions. It's all growth in the future.

Palm at least has a brand name, history and reputation already (and yes, it's been tarnished) which also helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Moto has bought into the smartphone division as well.
    True, but even a company like Moto can't turn a profit in the business, despite the Razr and Q. They're facing their own issues with the Razr2 and the re-hash line of Q q9x's...which goes to show not everyone is doing well. The phrase "one hit wonder" comes to mind with Moto.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/04/2007 at 10:57 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    True, but even a company like Moto can't turn a profit in the business, despite the Razr and Q. They're facing their own issues with the Razr2 and the re-hash line of Q q9x's...which goes to show not everyone is doing well. The phrase "one hit wonder" comes to mind with Moto.
    However, they are turning corners with some new buyouts and devices that are being leaked. I think one hit wonder is correct, I am hoping they can prove otherwise, they have really great build quality on their devices. Always have.
    Its true about Moto (and I have relatives that work there who wouldn't like to hear me say this...), and I've been wondering how it is that Moto could be struggling right now when they had such a splash-hit so recently with the RAZR. Even more sobering is that RIM's market cap now exceeds that of Moto. The Moto I knew was all about radios and semiconductors... but then I grew up programming DEC computers... look what happened to them... (cf nonsense about corporations outliving their founders...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    However, they are turning corners with some new buyouts and devices that are being leaked. I think one hit wonder is correct, I am hoping they can prove otherwise, they have really great build quality on their devices. Always have.
    I wish I could take their speakers, BT and screen and put it in a Treo

Though you have to wonder with them cutting R&D if that's the right way to rectify their course.

Who expects PalmOS II to disappoint? Because Palm never fails to disappoint (look at the Foleo fiasco and the PalmLinux delay as a recent example).

Expecting PalmLinux to blow off the doors of the market is unrealistic to say the least.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Who expects PalmOS II to disappoint? Because Palm never fails to disappoint (look at the Foleo fiasco and the PalmLinux delay as a recent example).

Expecting PalmLinux to blow off the doors of the market is unrealistic to say the least.

Surur

I sure see a lot of unhappy Palm fans including myself!!!
    I see the Verizon Voyager as very appealing too. Palm doesn't have to abandon the keyboard altogether. But they need to go this route or iphone-ish.

now imagine this LG Voyager being able to handle all the palm apps you could throw at it.

Sprint is hurting a bit too. You got Verizon, you got AT&T..both ready to go at it. Sprint, this holiday season, has what...the Centro?? LOL Thing is, i love sprint's service compared to the other two. I wish they'd get some more offerings. They need their own "iphone killer"
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    "They mostly come at night, mostly"
    Game over man, Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sprint, this holiday season, has what...the Centro?? LOL Thing is, i love sprint's service compared to the other two. I wish they'd get some more offerings. They need their own "iphone killer"
    They're getting the HTC Touch (aka Vogue), BB Curve and Motorola Q9c this "holiday season" and 800w Q1.

I'm not sure what an "iphone killer" is supposed to be.

Sprint is hurting a bit too. You got Verizon, you got AT&T..both ready to go at it. Sprint, this holiday season, has what...the Centro?? LOL Thing is, i love sprint's service compared to the other two. I wish they'd get some more offerings. They need their own "iphone killer"
    Sprint has this.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/show...=name&id=13449

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Game over man, Game over!
    You better just start dealing with it, mikec! Listen to me! mikec, just deal with it because we need you and I'm sick of your bull****.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    They're getting the HTC Touch (aka Vogue), BB Curve and Motorola Q9c this "holiday season" and 800w Q1.

I'm not sure what an "iphone killer" is supposed to be.
    BB's are fine if you only like email. Moto Q is a joke.

The HTC Touch is windows crap device...HTC's half azz attempt.

And a 800w, another windows crap device from Palm that might have a better screen but will still look like yesterdays 700w.

Seriously, this is it from Sprint?

If you're not sure what an "iphone killer" is supposed to be..just imagine the iphone (or something similar such as Voyager) with widescreen, EVDO, full browser, 3rd party apps, and...wait for it...a SIMPLE interface. Not this windows garbage.. In other words, an iphone like device without all the limitations.
    BB's are fine if you only like email. Moto Q is a joke.

And a 800w, another windows crap device from Palm that might have a better screen but will still look like yesterdays 700w.

Seriously, this is it from Sprint?

If you're not sure what an "iphone killer" is supposed to be..just imagine the iphone (or something similar such as Voyager) with widescreen, EVDO, full browser, 3rd party apps, and...wait for it...a SIMPLE interface. Not this windows garbage.. In other words, an iphone like device without all the limitations.
    Guess you're SOL then and will be waiting a long time. That's gotta suck.

Nope, it'll be Sprint that's SOL. LOL
    Thats pretty uneducated. The Touch series are getting better all the time, and retaining the WM base means compatibility with 20 000 software apps.

Despite your opinion the Touch has been nearly as successful as the iPhone. The Sprint Touch IS the iPhone without the restrictions.

Surur
    <<<http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones...tag=prod.txt.1

It's mostly an application launcher. The applications themselves are the standard ones from Windows Mobile, and these are not fingertip friendly at all. This means that you can, for example, use TouchFLO and the D-pad to easily open and read an email, but when it comes time to write a response back you'll need to pull out the stylus. http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...view=HTC+Touch >>>

Umm..no, this isn't an iphone killer. It's merely a phone with a touch launcher.

I wouldn't waste my time with this device. I wouldn't even give this device to someone else.

To be honest, my 700p is superior to this and will remain so. Why? Because..windows mobile is crap. Palm's OS, even years old, blows it away still.

Nothing with windows mobile will come close to killing the iphone. Palm has a shot though.

This isn't from an apple fan boy or anything. I don't own a Mac and probably never will. I've had Vista from day one. Office 2007, etc. But in the mobile world...they suck.. Just my opinion..
    It's mostly an application launcher. The applications themselves are the standard ones from Windows Mobile, and these are not fingertip friendly at all. This means that you can, for example, use TouchFLO and the D-pad to easily open and read an email, but when it comes time to write a response back you'll need to pull out the stylus.
    Even though this is getting way OT...

HTC is constantly updating the TouchFlo interface, case in point the new Touch slide comes with a TF keyboard and picture viewer, to name a few:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/mo...ouch_dual.html

Good vid here:

And there is also this keyboard:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/so..._keyboard.html

Basically HTC is going deeper with TF; what you mention was just the tip of the iceberg. The notion of "an iphone killer" is relative (and imo, silly) so I'm not claiming this is one, but it's not a bad device for what it is. The fact it sold 800,000 also says it's quite popular and will do well for Sprint.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast