Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    If that happens we could always rename to smartphonecentral or mobilecentral or somesuch great name. I know that Treo Central has been a great help even relating to non-treo topics.

Regards
    or Crackberry, PhoneDifferent, WMexperts, etc?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yup, true enough.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...-to-investors/

try NEXT october 2008, a year from now (end of next year) out of the mans mouth himself
    So much for "reading tealeaves".

Surur
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...-to-investors/

try NEXT october 2008, a year from now (end of next year) out of the mans mouth himself
    Geeze..... Palm really thinks they can hang on to the POS user base for that long. Maybe we will see a Treo 800P with our old buddy Garnet afterall.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    No new Palm OS until end of calandar year 2008. No new form factor until mid 2009. Palm fans have to wait yet another year and a half for something innovative from the people who pretty much launched the smartphone market. Sad.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    No new Palm OS until the end of 2008. No new form factor until at least mid-2009. Palm fans will have to nearly two years for something truely innovative? This from the company that basicaly launched the smartphone market? Sad.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Sorry for doubling up.
    VisorPhone Clone
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    No new Palm OS until end of calandar year 2008. No new form factor until mid 2009. Palm fans have to wait yet another year and a half for something innovative from the people who pretty much launched the smartphone market. Sad.
    The conference call says that Palm's current progress on their Linux OS will allow them to put products to market by end of 2008. Further, Ed made a statement that it has been encouraging to see their new OS running on actual devices. This seems to indicate that Palm-Linux is in some kind of alpha or beta form right now. Given the amount of testing a new device would require and with the need for carrier approval, Palm would almost certainly need to have functional unit(s) ready to go by spring.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Sorry for doubling up.
    Then delete one of them: Click the edit button under one of the posts and then delete.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    While dates and deadlines are important to meet, what really matters for Palm and its future is if this new OS is any good.

If it's just "ok" that probably won't be enough to rebound. If it's outstanding then they could. Sprint will pick up the device no matter what, so that's their foot in the door. Verizon, continuing the CDMA envy rivalry, will get it soon after along with an unlocked GSM version.

From that point on, it's all about whether it is a compelling OS, which remains to be seen.

There is still a large gap between everyday feature flip phones and high end, business smartphones that needs to be filled. Things like iPhone and Centro work towards that but there needs to be something more ubiquitous, powerful and user friendly. I don't see RIM doing that; WM with Photon might, but they have a large order to fill too; iPhone is locked to AT&T for the next 4.5 years.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    ...delete one...

Can't while on the Treo.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...what really matters for Palm and its future is if this new OS is any good.
    Yep, but in some ways the longer it takes them to release it the more impressive it will have to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Yep, but in some ways the longer it takes them to release it the more impressive it will have to be.
    check out this link on a possible new smartphone running "Alps"

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13381
    I fear Palm will not make it until the end of 08.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    I fear Palm will not make it until the end of 08.
    I found the link to the video of a meeting at Palm HQ after Ed's announcement:

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I found the link to the video of a meeting at Palm HQ after Ed's announcement:

"They mostly come at night, mostly"
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    While dates and deadlines are important to meet, what really matters for Palm and its future is if this new OS is any good.
    I disagree. Getting their OS out is as important as the quality. If they dither too much longer, it won't matter how good their OS is.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I really don't see why Palm is taking so long if they have been building this for some time... what do they have 3 people working 2 hours a day or something like that?? it sure seems like it...

Palm needs to do something like surprise us with a GSM smartphone by the end of the year with a new Linux based OS... I don't care if it has the basic smartphone specs.... 802.11, EDGE, UMTS, 2.0MP camera, 1200MHz battery, etc. Just a new OS and a little thinner with actual 21st century specs would be nice!

Like it was said before, its sad that a company that basically launched the smartphone business, is now playing catch up in last place...
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast