Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Colligan in the conference call was pretty clear:

"Well, in general a new platform strategy I think that's, next calendar year is the timeframe. We are not going to get in to specifics on that. I think the reality is we will deliver some new smartphone products through the rest of this calendar year on both our Windows Mobile and Palm OS platforms. And product based on the new Linux-based platform that we are working on, that won't be until some time next year. [...] We are not waiting for next generation platform developments to deliver some great new products"

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...etime-in-2008/

Not just Treos but any 'product' (that would include Centro, which may or may not be 'Treo' branded. Presumably he was just talking about phones and so the Foleo is excluded).

If Centro runs Linux it would seem that Palm are dramatically ahead of the schedule suggested by Colligan in July, and that seems pretty improbable. The one thing that gives me pause for thought though is Palm saying last week that there was a "bigger story" behind the Centro.
    Hope the bigger story is not the "Centro" with the Win Mobile 6 interface. Palm has to really hit a home run and soon otherwise they will be out of the market and 20 years from now we can ebay our current bricks for a fair price. (if you want a paper weight)

If Palm has stopped development on the Foleo then those resources can be directed to the Linux Treo, then the time frame for a Christmas release of the Linux Treo would be possible. As some have stated that Apple redirected it resources to the iphone from it's OS development. They need to make Sprint shine with the release of it's new wimax!! We really need something new from Palm. They have to quit spinning their wheels and I guess the cancelling of the the Foleo was a step in the right direction. We need ACTIONS, not just words from Palm.
    I highly doubt it. Colligan specifically said no new Linux Treos until 2008. Business strategy aside, there are SEC rules governing misleading and/or forward looking statements, which could potentially lead to insider trading etc.

No way would Colligan have said no Linux Treos until '08 (especially in a quarterly SEC-sanctioned conference call), if he intentionally knew Linux Treos would indeed come out very soon after his statement (ie Oct '07), because insiders could buy Palm stock, and outside investors would short it (by being misled about the delayed release of Linux Treos) etc.

It would lead to lawsuits against Palm for misleading investors and intentionally withholding the truth. Rememember, he didn't say "We don't comment about future products," such Steve Jobs of Apple always says. Colligan definitively said no new Linux Treos until 2008:

("product[s] based on the new Linux-based platform that we are working on, that won't be until some time next year [2008]."
    You will not see a Linux Treo until Fall 2008, so you can check back then. Probably it will come out the same time as the 3rd generarion iPhone.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    I highly doubt it. Colligan specifically said no new Linux Treos until 2008. Business strategy aside, there are SEC rules governing misleading and/or forward looking statements, which could potentially lead to insider trading etc.

No way would Colligan have said no Linux Treos until '08 (especially in a quarterly SEC-sanctioned conference call), if he intentionally knew Linux Treos would indeed come out very soon after his statement (ie Oct '07), because insiders could buy Palm stock, and outside investors would short it (by being misled about the delayed release of Linux Treos) etc.

It would lead to lawsuits against Palm for misleading investors and intentionally withholding the truth. Rememember, he didn't say "We don't comment about future products," such Steve Jobs of Apple always says. Colligan definitively said no new Linux Treos until 2008:

("product[s] based on the new Linux-based platform that we are working on, that won't be until some time next year [2008]."
    At the time he said that he did not know his market would turn upside down with the cancelling of the foleo. How can Palm limp along 6 months with the phones they have (maybe release the 800W)? I just want my skinny treo. How is that Palm is going to have rev A on the Palm Centro? I have the BB 8830 now and I miss my programs (Pocket Quicken, Treo Weather and a good backup program to restore from a total crash). Of course BB is making progress and probably will give us a camera soon. The HTC Multi Touch is be released by Sprint I believe but still no keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Q1 2008...
    Palm has a tendency to do an after-holiday shopping season release, and also to do a late March announcement so you could be right there.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I think after the last Apple announcements of the iPod Touch and the greatly reduced iPhone, Palm HAS TO RESPOND WITHIN THE YEAR. I dont think they can wait for next year.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I think after the last Apple announcements of the iPod Touch and the greatly reduced iPhone, Palm HAS TO RESPOND WITHIN THE YEAR. I don't think they can wait for next year.
    The problem is that no Treo has ever been released that was ready for "Prime Time". Everyone was an end user beta test. I have tested a few. With each incremental advancement ( I use that term loosely) the Treo community has had to endure more issues. In fact the issues have gotten worse not better (700 p)

So rushing a new Linux Treo to market with any major issues at all may just alienate whatever is left of the Palm Fanboy Network.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    ...Palm HAS TO RESPOND WITHIN THE YEAR. I dont think they can wait for next year.
    Problem is, I don't think CMCS (Chi Mei) can crank out the new POSII/Linux Treo before 2008, even if they wanted to. I think they got the contract for that, and Inventec got the Centro & Gandolf contracts. I think CMCS may actually be designing the POSII/Linux Treo as well (not just OEM like Inventec & HTC etc). Things could change though, knowing Palm.
    Last edited by cinealta; 09/10/2007 at 07:39 PM.
    http://tinyurl.com/yts9yq

Looks like PIC reporting Colligen is saying 12-18 months before a new Plinux Treo comes to fruition!!! If that's for real, then mark my words ... the party is over. A buyer has got to be on the way b/c this is nothing but a vaporware pipe dream. Fajittaboutit!
    Patrick Horne
    Unbelievable. I had to read that a couple of times and check the publication date to make sure I wasn't having some kind of nightmare.

If they couldn't do two versions of Linux, they definitely couldn't do much more with creaky FrankenGarnet with whatever skills they had/have. I presume they've long given up on Cobalt as well.

As a POS fan I still hope it's not true, but if it is, we don't need to wait for any female opera singers.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Looks like the Linux Palm is another 12-18 months away...you won't see it until 2009.

I guess my predictions from a couple years ago are holding true.

We will have a 4G iPhone, Windows Photon, and another version or two of Symbian by then.

Can Palm release anything other than a Palm IIIc with a keyboard and phone/data?
    HTC might beat Palm to the Linux game
    http://tinyurl.com/ysom7c
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Palm on Linux from Palm Inc. will NOT arrive by 2009. It will never happen. These people are in complete and utter dissarray from a management, technical, and visionary standpoint. Listing the facts is unnecessary to prove this.

Their is no person and no reason to believe that they will ever actually deliver on such an OS. Even if they did, we all know it will be full of bugs, and will have been leapfrogged by competent (M$, RIM, APPL) OS producers 2-3 times by then. When you can't get the 700p (it wasn't exactly an iPhone in innovation ya know) stable and operational after this many failures, it's obvious that they have hopeless operational control, and/or sub-par talent on hand. Listing any more facts here is unnecessary as well.

12-18 months is in Palm years. It's kinda like dog years. It is like 20-30 years for anything else. No way on God's green earth these folks will keep this company on the current path for that long. They'll probably go through 3 name changes, and 7 new logos in 12-18 months. They may be bought, sold and resold 4 times over during that period, and were expected to believe that a Microsoft-RIM-APPL-Symbian smackdown team will stay funded, focused, and properly managed through it all? Fajittaboutit!

When the family jewels are laid on the line Foleo style, only to be harshly canned only days before release, then it's time to recognize that the "cupboard is bare". This was the Hawkins (read Visionary and CTO) passion and pursuit since they lost the OS like fools in 04'. Their vision and resources must have been thrown heavily here, only to see it all flushed with a $10M penalty. Believing that this group could sort things out of this mess (and the many before) and come out with strong management, strong technology, and a strong market impact is borderline psychosis.

Expect major changes of personnel in the weeks and months to come. Expect major strategic changes as well, whether we get to read about them or not. If this report turns out to be correct about "Palm" really saying 12-18months, then the current vision is over. This is a joke.

This just in from one who is about as passionate as possible about the Palm economy and platform. Who has weathered the storms of stupidity for the past several years all while downgrading my 2003 Palm to the best they can offer today.

If this is a real quote, then somebody turn out the lights if your last to leave. I plan to milk my 680 as long as possible while I start divorce proceedings. I would like another quote from Ed or Jeff confirming this before I file tho.

Sad. Just really a sad joke.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Even if they did, we all know it will be full of bugs, and will have been leapfrogged by competent (M$, RIM, APPL) OS producers 2-3 times by then.
    ... who still uses a dollar sign when they write "Microsoft"? You think Apple and BB are charity operations?
    OK, so Garnett is lacking technically. They either jump fully on Windows or develop their *own* OS.

Assuming they want their own and assuming they knew that 2 years ago:
    - The Linux kernel is probably 75% done out of the box.
    - They have Linux developers (see Folio)
    - Most hardware has Linux drivers (presumably the radio chips?)

I'm having a hard time understanding why they can't get a Linux OS based Treo out the door.

Worst case: license ALP and migrate to a new distribution later. It probably wouldn't be more than a recompile for 3rd party apps.

I really don't understand WTF the problem is. How incompetent can a development organization (read management) be?
    ....very.
    Palm will never deliver on the Linux Treo as they will be out of business long before then.
    That's a safe assumption, argonNJ. I think we can close the book on palm now. They are simply a footnote in tech history. The future belongs to the big juggernauts like rimm, apple, nok, mot and HTC, who possess the cash and capability necessary to forge ahead with the innovation the market expects.

Palm, which should be renamed to "pain", will spit out little fragments like the centro and the gandolf for a year before sputtering out and collapsing entirely before our eyes.

What's really sad is that treocentral may be irrelevant in 2 years. It may turn into a ghost town as palm continues its dilapidation.

We may all end up recongregating in blackberry or iphone forums after all is said and done.
    If that happens we could always rename to smartphonecentral or mobilecentral or somesuch great name. I know that Treo Central has been a great help even relating to non-treo topics.

Regards
    graylion
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast