Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    This is one of the well written critiques that I've read for a while. Hopefully Palm will read it with an open mind.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/d...-intervention/
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Just finished reading it. Great letter, they really hit the nail...
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 08/21/2007 at 01:04 PM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Yep, good article, good advice.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    If only we knew that someone from Palm would actually read it. Someone should forward a copy to them. (Palms new guy from apple would be a good place to start)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    If only we knew that someone from Palm would actually read it. Someone should forward a copy to them. (Palms new guy from apple would be a good place to start)
    You could start here (you don't hand over $325 million, without some sort of oversight and due diligence):

Fred Anderson (former Apple CFO)
    Jon Rubinstein (iPod designer)
    Elevation Partners
    2800 Sand Hill Road, Suite 160,
    Menlo Park, CA 94025

Bono Hewson
    c/o Principle Management Ltd
    250 W 57th St # 2318
    New York, NY 10107

(note: U2 use Blackberrys exclusively)

Rob Haitani (Treo Product Manager)
    Michael Farese (VP of Engineering)
    Palm Inc
    950 W. Maude Ave.
    Sunnyvale, CA 94085
    Last edited by cinealta; 08/21/2007 at 02:26 PM.
    I didn't know Bono had a last name...
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I will forward a copy to them. Not that it will ever reach them, but you have to try.

I can't say that I've ever heard Bono's last name before either. I just assumed it was only "Bono". Learn something new every day!!!
    Best quote from the comments?
    It's really stunning how they've let themselves go...it's a little like seeing that really hot girl from high school who got by on her looks and personality 10 years later, only now she's fat and not as fun as she used to be.

Although I love the 700wx I agree with the thrust of the article. I know Palm is listening but I'm not sure how much they can/will do about it.

The Centro is really just a blip as far as new devices go, so I guess we can't really judge till the 800w and the POSII device reveal themselves. If those two devices don't meet or exceed expectations, then Palm won't have much of a future.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Nice, and exactly why I'll be considering an iPhone, Nokia N95, or HTC WM in 2008. I have to wait until May and unless Palm shows something like the touted POS2 then I'm afraid I'm moving on. No more band-aids on a Garnet wart. And, I'm doing my part to drive Palm developers out of business; I've quit buying any Palm based software although there is still plenty that I would love to try.

For so long the Treo had it all; money, bling, girls, fame...but shear stupidity and damn near useless products (700p bluetooth) have stumbled the once proud Palm. I had a 600 for ever and never once did I have ANY problems with it. It was rock solid...but the 700's have been a total disaster for me. The jury is still out on my new 755 which Sprint finally donated to replace the last of 6 previous 700p's which either were bricked by the MR of just failed after a phone call. But isn't the 755 such a vanilla phone? Yawn...

I love the Treo and it's definitely held the top smartphone spot for a number of years, but the 700 series has definatly soured the whole Treo line. Two letters stand out to me as the the epitome of "giving it to your customer base...deep-N-hard": MR. Way to support your customer base, Palm! Woot! Way to go!

(moving Off-Topic) Perhaps I'm thinking about this wrong. I've been studing various phones, carriers, etc lately and have come to the conclusion there is no one phone to rule them all; no one phone that does it all although the N95 is getting close it seems to me, without ever having held or used one. Small and thin; productivity minded; media capable and savvy; decent hi-res screen; vibrant development community and open platform; enterprise (exchange) compatable; able to move from the work place to the night life stylishly (i.e. the ability to fit in the pants w/out looking like a growth or feeling like an anchor); able to utilize the most efficient network available in any location seamlessly (ahem...WIFI); an array of available, decently priced add-ons (cases, BT headsets that WORK;on and on. And don't get me started on US based carriers...talk about giving it deep and hard...

The more that I look the more I've determined I need to move to unlocked GSM and get multiple phones for different occations. The treo 680/750 for the office, the N95 for the weekend and trips, and perhaps a razr or some type of small clammy for the night out. But how do you keep them all synced to your important data? Does this mean I carry 2 phones on the business trip to Niagra Falls, or the lush resturant/night club to which I'm taking clients and might need biz data before we mingle? Sigh...

/rant
    1. The Treo form factor is pretty good. Has anyone tried using a slider keyboard device one-handed. Not fun. a) need to rotate to use b) too wide for 1-hand typing. Also, Palm is limited by physics...how much more screen can you fit and still have hard buttons, speaker, etc.? I don't have an issue with Palm introducing a media-focused Treo with a slider and big screen but I really really like the one-handed standard 650 style I use today. Thinner...I'll agree with that!

2. Abandon the old OS...NOT! If they provide a "compatability box" like OS/2 did for 16-bit Windows I'd be fine with that but to come out and just ditch the old software would be a HUGE mistake. I don't think they should design to Garnet but they need to accommodate it somehow. I'll accept a few things not working but to say "throw it all out" is just crazy...unless of course there new device comes with a suitable (email, browser, video viewer, MP3 player, etc. etc. etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    ...For so long the Treo had it all; money, bling, girls, fame...but shear stupidity and damn near useless products (700p bluetooth) have stumbled the once proud Palm.
    That was, reportedly, singlehandedly, caused by Eric Benahmou's obstinance and opposition to change and improvement. He was a 3com networking guy who supposedly thwarted many of Palm's revolutionary ideas. Palm was ahead of its time in R&D, but those brilliant ideas were killed on the drawing board and never saw the light of day. Thus, Treo was engineered more like a telephony switch. But he's gone now, and the iPod designer is taking over.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    1. The Treo form factor is pretty good. Has anyone tried using a slider keyboard device one-handed. Not fun. a) need to rotate to use b) too wide for 1-hand typing. Also, Palm is limited by physics...how much more screen can you fit and still have hard buttons, speaker, etc.? I don't have an issue with Palm introducing a media-focused Treo with a slider and big screen but I really really like the one-handed standard 650 style I use today. Thinner...I'll agree with that!

2. Abandon the old OS...NOT! If they provide a "compatability box" like OS/2 did for 16-bit Windows I'd be fine with that but to come out and just ditch the old software would be a HUGE mistake. I don't think they should design to Garnet but they need to accommodate it somehow. I'll accept a few things not working but to say "throw it all out" is just crazy...unless of course there new device comes with a suitable (email, browser, video viewer, MP3 player, etc. etc. etc.)
    I see your point. The thing with Palm is the "Treo" design does work very well and in a way, is their trademark. OTOH, no reason not to go for just higher specs: higher res screens, BT 2.0, 8GB ROM, etc while also thinning it down, getting rid of the screen recessing, add an optical light sensor...you know, jazz it up with some cutting edge technology.

Even if the price when to $599 people will buy it if it work well. The iPhone proved there's a market for that price range.

I wouldn't worry about #2: Palm has emphatically stated their commitment to POS in POSII. The issue is in the details though e.g. how well it works, limits, etc.

cinealta: as always, interesting info about Palm. While both explaining past errors and giving hope in the same post lets us remain optimistic!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Good stuff. I agree on everything except the keyboard. The last great keyboard was the Treo 270/300 keyboard. (Never tried the Tungsten W keyboard). I'd go for flatter and wider, or sometype of sliding keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post

1. The one-handed form factor should remain, thus eliminating any sliding keyboard. If you want to compare it to the iPhone, then you can offset the thickness with the width and the height, both dimensions being larger than a Treo 750/755p/680. I dont mind the thickness of the 700p, but I do have big hands. The Treo could benefit from a larger screen while retaining the fabulous keyboard, and even becoming thinner. I 2nd the motion to lose some of the recessed sceen...you can probably make it thinner just by bringing the screen to the surface (making it flush, but also more vunerable).

2. Start OVER!!! I would have to get all new programs if I bailed to WM or Symbian, so give us a (GREAT) reason to start over. Wifi, inexcusable BT 2.0, multi-tasking, greater storage, better camera (I know the last two are hardware-related, but need to be considered in starting over) and the SAME GREAT EASE-OF-USE!
    I'm with you Malatesta. Same form factor - slimmed down, cutting-edge new OS, backwardly compatible with existing programs, great battery life, and new technologies and they've got a winner!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I agree with most of the article as well. Palm certainly has a challenge in front of them. I hope to see a device that incorporates a thinner design, WiFi, GPS, BT 2.0, 8GB ROM, microSD, mini usb sync/charge connection, larger higher res screen and the classic thumboard (perhaps a bottom slide like the Samsung i730).

CLICK HERE

I think we'll see some blockbuster new products from Palm in 2009. Let the new DNA incorporate into Palm's genes.
    Benhamou is gone only if the Elevation deal goes through.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Benhamou is gone only if the Elevation deal goes through.
    True. It's touch and go in this shaky credit market (darn Countrywide). FTC approved it with an "early termination" of their antitrust review. Palm has to take on $400 million in new debt. This deal will consume 60% of Elevation's $2 billion war chest.

Let's hope it goes through, to get some new blood in Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast